Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:43am

Style: Jiu Jits, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Pyro, sorry if i come across as a dick.

Is this injury from your sparring in wing chun?
    What type of sparring and what protective gear do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    I think this is the number one reason why you should spar on your first night, the longer you leave it the more of a big deal it becomes, and if you're super nervous and afraid of getting hurt you most likely will spazz out and end up hurting yourself and your partner, whereas if you spar your first night you'll get it out of the way and it'll be just another part of your training.
    QFT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 8:00am

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joopa
    I just started Muay Thai recently so Im not allowed to spar yet but I am becoming paranoid as I think about it. How safe is sparring? How hard do people typically go and is there a high rate of injury?? What are your experiences in sparring?
    Bear in mind most people have to work the next day so sparring is not usually high power.

I tend to try to hit people fast but lightly-They know they were hit but it's no more than a bump against the ribs that might leave a small bruise if they are unlucky.

As for your nose-Well the first time I broke mine it hurt like Hell bled like hell and made a rather unpleasant crunching sound. However it now bends in some interesting ways(makes for a good party trick) and squashes under punches without all the eye watering and blood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 8:22am

Style: BJJ, Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, real comforting :p

It's the only thing I'm worried about when it comes to full-contact. I'm ready for the rest, I just don't my nose broken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 8:22am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertad
    Hey Pyro, sorry if i come across as a dick.

Is this injury from your sparring in wing chun?
    What type of sparring and what protective gear do you use?

QFT
    Actually it happened just before Arnis we usally have a light spar before class with some of the other students and yea all we had were some gloves and we usally try to keep it light but sometimes accidents happen, but when we spar during the arnis class we have hand protectors and a kendo type of helmet on and use a padded stick, but you still get nasty burises from the padded sticks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 8:53am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    It seriously does not hurt that much to get punched in the face by someone with 16 ounce sparring gloves on, stop being a girly-man.
    That's about how I feel about it. Now it's more of an annoyance than a pain. Some guys can crack though. Had my nose busted a lot of times in 16s, but I'm a southpaw so I eat straight rights sometimes on the button.

----

The only time anyone should be sparring less than full blown, if at all, is the few days before a fight.

Your coach will be watching, if you take a hard shot, or one above your paygrade, then they'll probably stop it and give you an 8count or something. Make no mistake though, this is a sport about busting the other guy in his nose. If you can't come to terms with that, you need to find another sport. I havent had insurance for years, so I have my few worries along the way, but you have to forget that **** as you step into the ring.

Sink or swim. You will take dozens and dozens of ass whoopins before you start delivering them. Just try to remember what you could've done better and get their ass next time. I never hold personal grudges against my sparring partners, but you can bet that the person who got whooped last time has it in for the whooper this time in the ring. Get them licks back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 9:00am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll depend on your club. A broken nose or rib happens every couple of months at our club. It is a place where many other clubs in the area come to get their fighters ready so the stakes are always higher then. Gumshield and groin-guard is the only protection, shins if you want.
    We have a big fall-off of students once they're ready to spar.

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 9:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just start sparring and worry about it later. You will probably laugh at yourself for having given it this much thought. Good luck.

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you played soccer, would you worry about putting your foot in a gopher hole and breaking your ankle, or taking a ball to the nose as much as you worry about sparring injuries?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:27am

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore them -Early on the vast majority of people feel a bit of apprehension and nervousness and those telling you not to be a wuss have been at it so long they have likely forgotten what it feels like when starting out.

Just remember a few years down the line when some nervous kid comes to ask Sensei Tim if it hurts, remember and be supportive.

It hurts sometimes but not that much and it's mainly the following day you feel it. Just take it at your own pace and enjoy it, don't make it so hard you are dreading going to training.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:35am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    If you played soccer, would you worry about putting your foot in a gopher hole and breaking your ankle, or taking a ball to the nose as much as you worry about sparring injuries?
    Great Point.

Also, proper technique and training will minimize injury. Any physical activity is going to give you a chance of injury, but if your body is strong, and you keep good form, then you are really lowering your chances of serious injury.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast