Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 10:46am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

noob bjj questions

Okay, so I just started learning Brazilian Jiujitsu and have pretty quickly fallen in love with it. I want to take it seriously, learn a lot, and compete someday. Only other sport i've ever liked is swimming, been looking for something like this for years.

That said, i don't really know much about it, aside from what i've absorbed from books, these forums, and 6-7 two hour classes. Some questions.

-At the moment, my teacher is a purple belt. He seems like the highest ranking person where i live and as far as i can tell is a pretty good teacher (a lot of what i've found reading here and in other places listed as things that are typically hard for beginners to learn were taught clearly and focused on in the first couple of classes) but i'm wondering if learning from a lower than black belt is a bad idea? Will i get taught wrong, or is this a normal enough practice?
    Either way i'm moving in a few months and will change schools then, i'm just curious.

-Also, i'm a really small guy. 17 years old, 115 pounds, 5'4. Arms are long for my height, legs are appropriately short. As such i'm finding it outright impossible to hold closed guard on most of the people i'm rolling with, considering how much bigger they are than me. Should i just be working harder and trying to find a way to make this work, or learning about other forms of guard? I managed to hold some of the white belts pretty comfortably in half guard, but i'm not sure if that's a good habit to rely on? I can't do it at all against the blue belts, although i don't know if that's whether the idea is bad or they're just that much better at everything than me.

-Is it just the people i'm rolling with going easy on me, or is leg triangle from guard really easy to avoid/get out of?
    Last edited by Suprore; 9/09/2008 10:51am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore
    -At the moment, my teacher is a purple belt. He seems like the highest ranking person where i live and as far as i can tell is a pretty good teacher (a lot of what i've found reading here and in other places listed as things that are typically hard for beginners to learn were taught clearly and focused on in the first couple of classes) but i'm wondering if learning from a lower than black belt is a bad idea? Will i get taught wrong, or is this a normal enough practice?
    Either way i'm moving in a few months and will change schools then, i'm just curious.
    This is quite common and not in the least a bad idea. A BJJ Purple is a higher rank than blackbelt in most MAs.
    -Also, i'm a really small guy. 17 years old, 115 pounds, 5'4. Arms are long for my height, legs are appropriately short. As such i'm finding it outright impossible to hold closed guard on most of the people i'm rolling with, considering how much bigger they are than me. Should i just be working harder and trying to find a way to make this work, or learning about other forms of guard?
    I've got about 30 pounds on you and I play a lot of half/DLR/open etc. guard on the bigger guys for similar reasons. You're a little new to be worrying about things like this, though, learn the basics before you go worrying about strategic considerations.
    -Is it just the people i'm rolling with going easy on me, or is leg triangle from guard really easy to avoid/get out of?
    They're either going easy, they suck at the triangle or you are some kind of monstrous phenom. The triangle choke is IIRC, the number one submission in both BJJ tournaments and MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, thanks a lot. May ask someone to show me a proper triangle choke tonight, they must've just been going really easy on me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 11:49am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -I wouldn't worry about having a purple belt as a senior instructor. As far as I know there is only one BJJ blackbelt in western PA and many of the schools here are run by lower ranking BJJer's. From what I understand that is a pretty normal practice (at least in some parts of the country).

-At 17 you are probably still growing and could end up many inches taller. My feeling is that you should actively practice/participate in all guard type drills so that your overall guard game will get better. Also as a noob you will find yourself trying keep people from taking side control with those short legs and will get lots of practice using them. Eventually you will learn the positions that are best for you.

-They are probably going easy on you. When a new guy comes to my gym we take it easy on him for a while. This is especially true of new guys who are younger and/or smaller.

Don't be discouraged by having a smaller stature. One of the guys I roll with (on occasion) is around 5'2". I'm 6' and over 200lbs. and he has no problem dominating me on the mat.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nothing wrong with training under a purple belt (or a brown belt, or even a blue belt), if he can teach, and, preferably, knows how to run a class as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    This is quite common and not in the least a bad idea. A BJJ Purple is a higher rank than blackbelt in most MAs.
    i'd tend to say equivalent to, though i suppose there are some really shitty black belts out there...

-Also, i'm a really small guy. 17 years old, 115 pounds, 5'4. Arms are long for my height, legs are appropriately short. As such i'm finding it outright impossible to hold closed guard on most of the people i'm rolling with, considering how much bigger they are than me. Should i just be working harder and trying to find a way to make this work, or learning about other forms of guard? I managed to hold some of the white belts pretty comfortably in half guard, but i'm not sure if that's a good habit to rely on? I can't do it at all against the blue belts, although i don't know if that's whether the idea is bad or they're just that much better at everything than me.
    the sooner you get past the idea that holding onto closed guard for dear life is a good thing, the better. get to guard, close it to secure it, open it to move. getting stuck at "i must close my guard and keep it closed!" holds back the majority of bjjers for years, in my experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2008 9:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, everyone. And i got put into a proper triangle yesterday, definitely not easy to get out of at all.