Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/CM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bjj Noob about to enter first comp.

So coming up in a few weeks is my first BJJ comp. I am exited as all hell and can't wait to see what it is like. The problem is I am a complete BJJ noob, i have only done it for about three or so months (albeit training like a madman). I have no idea what to expect, what to eat or how to mentally prepare. The weigh ins are in the morning and we compete around 3 hours later. I'm gonna eat straight after weigh ins so does anyone have any advice for me. Any help for preparation would be great. I'm obviously not going in with the idea of winning, just having a bit of fun. Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 7:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the weigh ins are the day of - don't even think about your weight. Eat like you normally would before training.

Mental preparation? Your not getting paid to do this are you? It's for fun. You will be competing against other white belts. Treat it like you would any other roll at your club, where you are closely matched and plan to go hard. The more relaxed you are the better your cardio will hold up and the better you will do. Just use basic technique that has worked for you in regular training. So: 1.) Relax, 2.) Have Fun.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporkinator
    I'm obviously not going in with the idea of winning, just having a bit of fun. Cheers.
    Speedbump.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporkinator
    So coming up in a few weeks is my first BJJ comp. I am exited as all hell and can't wait to see what it is like. The problem is I am a complete BJJ noob, i have only done it for about three or so months (albeit training like a madman). I have no idea what to expect, what to eat or how to mentally prepare. The weigh ins are in the morning and we compete around 3 hours later. I'm gonna eat straight after weigh ins so does anyone have any advice for me. Any help for preparation would be great. I'm obviously not going in with the idea of winning, just having a bit of fun. Cheers.
    If you cut weight and weigh in day before, instead of gorging yourself on water to rehydrate, eat a lot of fruit. Jorge Rivera taught me that little trick, and it works like a charm. Just go in there and do your thing. I don't know what your school is like, so I can't really suggest any tips other than deep breaths, don't let yourself get hurt, and don't try things you aren't comfortable with doing, even if the exact scenario presents itself. Stick to what you know, and focus on doing what you do best. Let the other guy adjust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a pair of sandals with you. Do NOT go into the bathroom barefoot. 1000 nervous guys at a tournament = more than just droplets on the seat or urinal rim... try all over the floor.

Also take a roll of toilet paper with you. They usually run out early, you never know when they'll put some more in the bathrooms, and you don't want to roll with your bowels full.

Take a sweater or hoodie in case it's cold at the venue, you don't want your muscles to get cold, because you'll probably warm up several times.

Be prepared to wait a while. Depending on how big the tourney is, delays are inevitable. Don't psyche yourself out during that time, like you said, you are there to have fun.

http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html
    Last edited by EternalRage; 8/30/2008 2:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 12:52am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Take a pair of sandals with you. Do NOT go into the bathroom barefoot. 1000 nervous guys at a tournament = more than just droplets on the seat or urinal rim... try all over the floor.

Also take a roll of toilet paper with you. They usually run out early, you never know when they'll put some more in the bathrooms, and you don't want to roll with your bowels full.

Take a sweater or hoodie in case it's cold at the venue, you don't want your muscles to get cold, because you'll probably warm up several times.

Be prepared to wait a while. Depending on how big the tourney is, delays are inevitable. Don't psyche yourself out during that time, like you said, you are there to have fun.

http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html
    Best. Advice. Evar. I've been to a bunch of comps but it never occured to me to bring toilet paper with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 12:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are going to spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing, so try and stay relaxed.

Also, just so you know, you are going to be much more tired in your first match than you expect, the adrenaline dump is a bitch.

Aside from that, have fun. Talk to people, everyone in that gym has the same hobby as you, so just be friendly and have a good time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:26pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man your going to be nervous but just have fun. Play your game and try to control the pace of the match. If you like to play top position then once you get there,hold it tight and don't give him an inch to move or wiggle and then start woking your submissions. If you like the guard like most new guys then work the standup a little and if you feel yourself getting nervous, then jump guard and do your thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training for about 6 months now and will be entering my first competition this saturday. I'm a little (very) nervous.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LI Pride?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast