Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 10:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj / kempo jujitsu / mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know why but something was bugging me about the triangle defence since I watched it this morning. it took me all day to figure out what it was.

for you to escape like this your training partner has to be doing his triangles wrong.

the rules of triangle

start in triangle guard (feet crossed not foot under knee)

1. break posture

2.pass the arm to the hip

3.get your angle

4.hook the leg (only if everything else is done first)

5.pull the head

what your defending is people hooking the leg before they have the other **** sorted.

or not unhooking the leg when the earlier steps in the triangle go to ****. (if you dont unhook the leg you no longer have the space you need to recross the arm)

it doesn't mean I don't like the technique you've shown only that if you don't know the correct situation for the technique and where it could go wrong its probably not going to work.

well thats my two cents wether you like them or not.

awesome job dude loved the clip
    Last edited by shtupidhead; 9/20/2008 10:22am at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shtupidhead
    I dont know why but something was bugging me about the triangle defence since I watched it this morning. it took me all day to figure out what it was.

for you to escape like this your training partner has to be doing his triangles wrong.

the rules of triangle

start in triangle guard (feet crossed not foot under knee)

1. break posture

2.pass the arm to the hip

3.get your angle

4.hook the leg (only if everything else is done first)

5.pull the head

what your defending is people hooking the leg before they have the other **** sorted.

or not unhooking the leg when the earlier steps in the triangle go to ****. (if you dont unhook the leg you no longer have the space you need to recross the arm)

it doesn't mean I don't like the technique you've shown only that if you don't know the correct situation for the technique and where it could go wrong its probably not going to work.

well thats my two cents wether you like them or not.

awesome job dude loved the clip

I can assure you there is more than one way to do a triangle correctly, and honestly I'm not a big fan of the version you described (at least how you said to finish).

Ofcourse if you do a triangle perfectly I'm not going to stop it with this or any other escape, but this is BJJ, why would I let you do what you want to do? I'm not 100% sure on the point you were trying to make and maybe I got it wrong, but if you're thinking you're going to hit a triangle in 5 perfect steps like that everytime you're wrong. For this technique you simply have to break the technique by fighting the arm around between steps 1 and 2.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Carlos Machado, the Holy God Of Fucking Triangles has ever hit one so exactly. At least not on anyone that counts. I think the idea behind this defense, or any other for that matter, is that your opponent is assembling a structure to capture your limb/neck, and in order for it to work all those components (calf across back of neck, cinched foot in knee, arm across throat) have to be working to submit you. As a defense, it is best to pick ONE of those components and dismantle it, thus making the maneuver moot (until he switches it to arm bar or omoplata :p ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 5:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    I can assure you there is more than one way to do a triangle correctly, and honestly I'm not a big fan of the version you described (at least how you said to finish).

Ofcourse if you do a triangle perfectly I'm not going to stop it with this or any other escape, but this is BJJ, why would I let you do what you want to do? I'm not 100% sure on the point you were trying to make and maybe I got it wrong, but if you're thinking you're going to hit a triangle in 5 perfect steps like that everytime you're wrong. For this technique you simply have to break the technique by fighting the arm around between steps 1 and 2.
    you have a problem with pulling the head? your not supossed crank his head off just gentle pressure will suffice .virtually every choke we do has pressure on the back of the head.

If your not pulling the head your just squeezing your legs which means your position is sloppy. if you are in the correct position lightly pulling on his head will put on the choke for you (using your body weight) there will be no need to squeeze thier head like a pimple. (using the streangth of your legs)

I never said if I did those five steps I'd be guarenteed a triangle every time. merely these are the stages that you go through and that if you dont know the parts in thier correct order you are rarely ever going to pick up the triangle. (unless your training partners suck of coarse)

Once you understand how a triangle works you can the proceed to work out how to defend each stage appropriately removing each component one by one untill you are able to escape.

you will also be able to identify where your partner makes mistakes. having escapes for these situations is a good thing. your counter deals with the specific mistake of hooking the leg too long. (the legs not returning to triangle guard once he lost arm control and you regained posture)

every technique has a correct time and place too many people get caught up in the whats and hows without ever asking the why's and when's.

Im not saying you made any mistakes or your technique isn't any good. Im not trying to take anything away from you at all.

I Just wanted to state when and why I would use it.

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 7:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have a problem with pulling the head? your not supossed crank his head off just gentle pressure will suffice .virtually every choke we do has pressure on the back of the head.

If your not pulling the head your just squeezing your legs which means your position is sloppy. if you are in the correct position lightly pulling on his head will put on the choke for you (using your body weight) there will be no need to squeeze thier head like a pimple. (using the streangth of your legs)
    just out of curiousity how long have you been training?

pulling on the head is a weak finish. it works, but I can read you off half a dozen that work much better besides just squeezing the knees, which by the way, is not sloppy and works if you have the right position and good choking power from doing hundreds and hundreds of triangles. In training all I do is squeeze my knees for the finish just to build that power up. in competition I use other finishes. The best way to finish the triangle you described is the "Glover Finish", but it takes practice to get the sensitivity down.

I never said if I did those five steps I'd be guarenteed a triangle every time. merely these are the stages that you go through and that if you dont know the parts in thier correct order you are rarely ever going to pick up the triangle. (unless your training partners suck of coarse)
    i'm sorry, but you're wrong. I've submitted close to 60 people with triangles in competition, and I never pulled on the head once... not even in my first tournament because I was actually told it was illegal (which wasn't true).

Once you understand how a triangle works you can the proceed to work out how to defend each stage appropriately removing each component one by one untill you are able to escape.
    once I understand how a triangle works? I didn't get this nickname from chugging beers buddy. I have been a BJJ instructor for almost 2 years now, and yes I'm a blue belt. I've also been a 4 stripe blue belt for almost 2 years, even though I'm no longer permitted to compete at blue belt in tournaments like NAGA, or anything else RANKED (naga's system to prevent sandbagging)

you will also be able to identify where your partner makes mistakes. having escapes for these situations is a good thing. your counter deals with the specific mistake of hooking the leg too long. (the legs not returning to triangle guard once he lost arm control and you regained posture)

every technique has a correct time and place too many people get caught up in the whats and hows without ever asking the why's and when's.

Im not saying you made any mistakes or your technique isn't any good. Im not trying to take anything away from you at all.

I Just wanted to state when and why I would use it.

the triangle I had my partner put me in position for is the one that is most commonly used in my gym. It involves grabbing the shin, hooking the leg, twisting your opponents knee to his head, and squeezing the knees; that's the easiest way to finish a triangle in my opinion. I also show the one you described to begginers, but most of them discard it for the glover finish when they get the sensitivity for it down.

Again I have to ask how long you've been training to have only learned one way to do the triangle?
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/26/2008 5:02pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

facebook.com/ABMMA

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 7:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shtupidhead, I have no dog in this hunt, but I will tell you that I never pull down on the head to finish a triangle either. I usually get the tap before it's necessary.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 8:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you was meant as the collective not you personally. I dont pretend to be a good writer.

in answer to how much training I've had I'm a relatively new purple belt with roughly 5 1/2 years.

I do know more than one way to do the triangle. although I'm pretty obsesive about the basics and how they link together. so I pretty much do my triangles the same way every time.

I never called your skills into question (or at least I never meant to). if you wanna keep squeezing your legs, do it. lots of guys do it, I did it myself till early last year. It really doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form what you do. I just would prefer rely on my position rather than my muscles (I'm pretty lazy)

never heard of the "glover finish" though what is it?

Posted On:
    9/20/2008 11:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you was meant as the collective not you personally. I dont pretend to be a good writer.

in answer to how much training I've had I'm a relatively new purple belt with roughly 5 1/2 years.

I do know more than one way to do the triangle. although I'm pretty obsesive about the basics and how they link together. so I pretty much do my triangles the same way every time.

I never called your skills into question (or at least I never meant to). if you wanna keep squeezing your legs, do it. lots of guys do it, I did it myself till early last year. It really doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form what you do. I just would prefer rely on my position rather than my muscles (I'm pretty lazy)

never heard of the "glover finish" though what is it?
    some of your wording made it seem like you were questioning my technique/knowledge (which is understandable), and I just wanted to let you know I'm not just some chump blue belt that found a video camera. that's all.

anyway pulling on the head is almost the same as relying on muscle IMO. Squeezing the knees is important whether or not you pull down the head. I don't mean to sound like I think I know everything, because I don't, but triangle chokes are my speciality, and if there's anything I'm good at it's the triangle.

This is the "Glover Finish":

Obviously he's using a monkey grip to assist his leg squeeze, but notice how he's balling up and keeps at about a 45 degree angle away from his opponent; not directly in front. The finish is obviously named after Jeff Glover who uses it to finish world class black belts on a regular basis. This picture was taken in Abu Dabhi 2007.

I use the 'glover finish' whenever I have a fully and properly locked triangle for a quick clean finish that is extremely difficult to escape, loosen, or hold out on. It also works wonders for the reverse(backwards) triangle. I actually prefer the reverse triangle with a 'glover finish' to any other submission.

facebook.com/ABMMA

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2008 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    I use the 'glover finish' whenever I have a fully and properly locked triangle for a quick clean finish that is extremely difficult to escape, loosen, or hold out on. It also works wonders for the reverse(backwards) triangle. I actually prefer the reverse triangle with a 'glover finish' to any other submission.
    awesome hadn't seen the triangle finished quite like that before will have to play with it a bit.

reverse "glover" triangle sounds sick can you get footage or a pic?

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/21/2008 5:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say reverse triangle, do you mean from N-S, or do you mean a "wrong side triangle", with your leg position "reversed"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast