--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2009 1:22am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just read on the underground that some people don't wash their gis after every class. I'm sure if everyone is hygenic a few more girls would be willing to stick around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2009 1:31pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I just read on the underground that some people don't wash their gis after every class. I'm sure if everyone is hygenic a few more girls would be willing to stick around.

I don't always wash my gi top after each class either. If it's just a mellow technique class, I rarely get a sweat going and, as a result, don't feel its necessary to wash my gi top. (I do, however, wash my gi pants after every class.)

I think it's a bit more than a hygiene issue - look at female atheletes in any sport and they get just as sweety/dirty as the men do. I think it's the idea of [aggressive] competition that turns most women away.

Everyone, young or older, skinny or fat, female or male, can enjoy the technical aspects of BJJ. On the other hand, most people, regardless of physique or gender, dislike intense physical competition.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/13/2009 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamurai View Post
    I don't always wash my gi top after each class either. If it's just a mellow technique class, I rarely get a sweat going and, as a result, don't feel its necessary to wash my gi top. (I do, however, wash my gi pants after every class.)

I think it's a bit more than a hygiene issue - look at female atheletes in any sport and they get just as sweety/dirty as the men do. I think it's the idea of [aggressive] competition that turns most women away.

Everyone, young or older, skinny or fat, female or male, can enjoy the technical aspects of BJJ. On the other hand, most people, regardless of physique or gender, dislike intense physical competition.
    I have to agree with Migo on this one. The fact is, it doesn't matter if you feel like you worked up a sweat or not, you are still rolling around on the mat which itself is not hygienic. Essentially, if a woman comes in and you smell iffy, you can put her off. Why, because if a male comes in and you smell iffy, you can put him off. I've refused to roll with people because their Gi smelled like crap. It is off-putting to both sexes, not just females.

You are right that it is more than just a hygiene issue but that doesn't mean you should ignore THAT issue. Not trying to get all anal on you, I just hate the smell of an unwashed Gi when the next training session comes around.

I'm not saying you have to have rose petals on the mats and the place smells like Victoria's Secrets. If they are looking for that, then they need to go to a fitness gym because they aren't there to train, they are there to look pretty working out. That goes for guys too!

What I am saying is that it is expected for a gym to be a gym, but it is also expected that basic hygiene and cleanliness to be implemented by both the participants and those in charge of maintaining the workout area (students and faculty). That will help bring in AND keep students, regardless of sex.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456