Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 7:06am

Style: shotokai/bjj/MT/ex-BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made the mistake of thinking about going light on a blue belt in my bjj class because she was female. I only thought about going light for about 0.2 seconds before i was just fighting for air. She considered this light rolling and i learned a valuable lesson about leverage vs strength.

Seriously, any newb should go light for the first 2 sessions and anyone they train with should use a little common sense here. After 2, maybe 3 sessions the the most why hold back? If I know i totally outclass someone i won't just try to dominate them with my fave techniques (armbars from guard or reverse arm-bar from under side control) but i'll go all out for techniques i suck at (which is all the other 700+ bjj techniques).

As for going light on females, nah. If they wanna learn self defence then wheres the realism unless your actually attacking? How will they learn how to escape a mount unless you actually put a proper mount on?

I only wish my gf had more self defence training. A couple of my female friends train, one trains much harder than I do (she does jkd/mt/bjj plus triathlon training for fitness) and i admire and envy her.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 12:57pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kramer733, do you train at OAMA? We have an assload of girls that train here, mostly Muay Thai though. I've rolled with a few girls before, but I ask them the same thing I ask every other partner I've had, "How hard are we rolling today? 50%? 80% Full out?". They usually smile and say the same thing as the guys do, "Lets start at 50 and move up."

The advantage to rolling with a girl is that they smell way fucking better than the guys do. I tend to take hygiene too seriously, and I'd gladly roll with a girl instead of a guy any day.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    is the person you're rolling with a training partner or not?

Any answer is anything other that "yes"=GTFO of my class.
    when i took serge's class he partnered me with a girl, and she threw me on my head many, many times.

she didn't seem to be taking it easy on me just cause i'm a guy.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2009 11:35pm

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have them start out with your more experienced students first. My wife personally is a very tough and serious student. She rolls pretty hard with everyone. She seems to be getting some respect from the students there because of her hard kicks and very strong grip strength. Her mentality is further supported by our instructor at the school. We've only been at this school for a month now, but we have seen the intensity of the women there.

There was one time when I watched the open sparring session and the first people to go are two guys. My instructor tells one of the guys, who is one of the more experienced guys, pretty stocky guy with a good wrestling background, there to take it easy on the other guy because it's the first time for him sparring. They spar for 3 rounds and the guy only boxes the guy with one hand throughout the whole deal.

Then the same guy who boxed with one hand sticks around the for the next person which is a woman. He gets into full stance, both arms up, ready to go. The two of them start sparring and there were some serious bombs being thrown.
    Last edited by newbie999; 5/29/2009 11:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2009 2:30am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have absolutely no qualms training with women for tachiwaza. Their training with me (at 6 ft 2 and 88kg) is no different to me training with a gentleman who is over 7 foot and around 110-120kg. I have no remorse in 'sweeping them off their feet'. I'm also fortunate for gi grips, as those are easy grips that generally don't involve calls of harassment. That being said, there is only one female at Judo, and she only attends once every week or two due to workload, but she's still being consistent with this. We had a new prospective attendee last Thursday, but she's apples. No worries.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2009 11:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ....ShaolinCockFighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do none of your gyms offer beginner classes? These are pretty good to get people comfortable with the concept of rolling and the idea of being hurt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2009 10:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo,TKD for funzies

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well so far it has just been about if the guys are cool with rolling with girls and vice versa but I’ll point out one more important thing that will help retain women after you get them. Tell the guys to leave their hormones at the door. Yes every once in a while a comment will be made, I understand that, but repeat offences are unacceptable. Just tonight I had one guy who kept un-doing his gi and standing in front of me (we have a nice size dojo and I was usually off to the side AWAY from the other guys), two who made inappropriate comments to their friends about me, and one guy who suggested he and I do CPR (wink wink). I will not be returning to that dojo.
    From what you said most of the women are spouses of current members so I don’t think there will be a big problem with this just as long as the guys behave when they deal with outsiders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 7:35am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kilbourn,

I agree with you. You should definitely look for a place where the attitude is more conducive to women training if that happened.

I can't even imagine someone at the place I train making an inappropriate comment like that. It might have something to do with the fact that we have 2 women who've brought home Mundials gold, but I think it has more to do with the environment and attitude of the academy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 3:30am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shouldn't be that hard to figure out how hard to go with girls. It shouldn't be any different from guys, if you've got more experience, bring enough intensity that they have to work hard but give them enough space that they can get some things working. That should be a default policy for working with anyone new, but sometimes it doesn't come up until a girl comes along because they're usually quite a bit weaker than guys, on top of being a few weight classes down.

When a guy who's 220lbs of solid muscle and who is really explosive comes in with no experience he's obviously going to be a lot different from a 110lbs girl. The 110lbs girl is probably not gonna be all that different from a 110lbs guy though. (She might be a wimp, who knows, but some guys are too)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:32pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a separate girls BJJ class at our gym. It helps usher in girls to the sport, learning the ropes before jumping into testosterone-infested waters so to speak, and the beginner girls see that the higher-ranked girls also train with the boys for the sheer intensity of it. Those who want to get good must jump over to the mixed trainings eventually but at least they have a sheltered starting point where they also get the benefit of rolling with the type of people they will meet in competition too.

But we're a pretty big club as well making this possible.

Me personally, I roll easy with the little guys too so as not to hurt them and feel absolutely terrified when rolling with girls as I'm afraid of breaking something on them.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast