Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:34pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighters and Coaches; Dealing with promoters.

Well here's an interesting story and I was wondering if this is common with you. Now I've been fighting for years and coaching even longer. Everytime I've had to deal with promoters I tend to get my way. I don't whine, nor do I ask for much. Whenever I had to travel extensively to make it to a promotion and possibly stay over night the promoter would compensate our rooms or kick down some money for gas. Even for amateur bouts. When I turned pro the promoter paid for me to be licensed.

I got a lead on one promotion looking for a professional fight in Kentucky and I sent an email inquiry. When they got back to me they asked if I was willing to travel. I said yes and they sent me a contract. I asked them if they were going to compensate some of our travel and they said no that's why we asked if you were willing to travel.

Now is it just me, I live in California and this fight is in Kentucky, shouldn't they accommodate us at least a little? I've promoted fights and that's what I do. I'll pay for some gas and meals and possibly even hotels. I'll kick down some tickets to local fighters. At this point I just told them sorry we couldn't do business and left it at that.

Anybody have similar experiences or heard of these guys?

http://www.xmma.org/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:52pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll call some guys I know in Arkansas and see if they have ever heard of them.

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 1:06am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a bit strange, the promoters here go well out of their way to help fighters get to their shows. One of the ones here even takes Thai fighters out to a good Thai restraunt the night before a show to make sure they are fully comfortable. Not offering travel expenses to a fighter who will make them thousands in ticket sales is stupid.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 2:28am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No as a pro you should get travel and a per diam for food. Not being sarcastic its what we always get
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:40am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a pro you should get travel, food and hotel if necessary.

As an AM it helps to get some travel or a hotel or something.

Promoters who don't want to give anything to AM fighters usually can't because their show is so small, are greedy assholes or more then likely have enough local fighters who don't care.

If your a pro, you definitely should be getting expenses paid.

I think it just depends on the org. www.NAAFS.tv is in Ohio. They do Pro and AM fights on the same card. They gave my bro a hotel and gas (which he used for a plane ticket). Then again, places in NJ won't even give gas money. So it depends on how big the org is and just them personally I guess.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 8:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone else notice the ring girls in that XMMA poster?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 12:08pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been involved in the fight scene since the early 90's, and I swear that nothing I hear in regards to promoters ever surprises me.

That said, it is very odd (uncommon) for a promoter to not offer to compensate for lodging or travel. As you will probably recall, I now promote amateur events and the organization I work for requires that I offer a hotel room for anyone who travels over 100 miles for my events. I haven't even researched the requirements for professional fighters.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 1:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    I've been involved in the fight scene since the early 90's, and I swear that nothing I hear in regards to promoters ever surprises me.

That said, it is very odd (uncommon) for a promoter to not offer to compensate for lodging or travel. As you will probably recall, I now promote amateur events and the organization I work for requires that I offer a hotel room for anyone who travels over 100 miles for my events. I haven't even researched the requirements for professional fighters.
    If you ever need a good 205'er for mma let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:02pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hit me up at: brooks@khunkao.com

I may not be able to have you at any of my events in the foreseeable future because I'll need to stick with amateurs for awhile, but I have a lot of contacts with other local promoters, some of which promote professional fights, and I'll be able to pass your info along....

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guy is currently an amateur anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast