Posted On:
    9/06/2008 8:45pm

Style: mine

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertad
    -Get a good boxing instructor.

-Train.

I would appreciate a more specific feedback, thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 8:55pm

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In relation to that roundhouse-My preference is to get the height you are striking the bag at, at an earlier stage in the legs movement but then angle my kick downward. If you do this your kick will impact around the thigh and you will have turned more hip into it generating more power. It also makes it less likely your leg will get caught.

Just my 2c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 9:17pm

Style: Jiu Jits, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Bait,
    perhaps I should have looked further into this.
    The bluntness of my previous comment was caused by your style field, which says "mine".
    I assumed you weren't / aren't training a striking art.

If you have a good striking instructor, I think you should ask him (or her) these questions.
    I am working at the moment on fixing my bad habits from TMA and am very happy with the results I am getting thus far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark
    In relation to that roundhouse-My preference is to get the height you are striking the bag at, at an earlier stage in the legs movement but then angle my kick downward. If you do this your kick will impact around the thigh and you will have turned more hip into it generating more power. It also makes it less likely your leg will get caught.

Just my 2c
    thanks , mate, i tried to that a long time ago, i will give it another chance

Sorry Bait,
    perhaps I should have looked further into this.
    The bluntness of my previous comment was caused by your style field, which says "mine".
    I assumed you weren't / aren't training a striking art.

If you have a good striking instructor, I think you should ask him (or her) these questions.
    I am working at the moment on fixing my bad habits from TMA and am very happy with the results I am getting thus far.

It's ok, man, i understand that with the "poser/tap out" phenomenae in youtube you can really see people who just want to look badass rather than improving. Of course i have instruction, but the thing is that some input from people from around the world it's always good to consider, you know, it's a humbling experience to be criticized by people that you don't know, and that's a good thing if recieved with the right attitude. I am making a list of things to do , and i hope that t gets bigger . :XXjester:

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 10:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Get a good boxing instructor.

-Train.
    Thread winner.

Unless we can look at you after you take the advice and see what you're doing, it's kind of a waste of time. Recording yourself shadow boxing is good, recording your fighting would be better.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Thread winner.

Unless we can look at you after you take the advice and see what you're doing, it's kind of a waste of time. Recording yourself shadow boxing is good, recording your fighting would be better.

please, read the post #14

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 5:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't find anything wrong with it. Training is a given, getting a multi-angle perspective can be okay (arguably) too, at least to me.

On the shadowboxing, you can try case-specific scenarios. For example, what you would do if the opponent had you cornered and what kind of footwork being used to escape / fight back, and the movements you'd make if you had the opponent cornered (setting imaginary boundaries in which you would do this). Imagining different opponents could be helpful too, such as fighting against a really quick opponent that could run circles around you, or a really aggressive one that simply pushes forward.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 6:24am

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bait
    thanks , mate, i tried to that a long time ago, i will give it another chance

If you were having difficulty it is sometimes caused by the foot on the supporting leg not being angled out far enough before you launch the kick.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic, but what was the TMA?

And to OP, uh, spar moderate contact a lot, with different people. I personally think that is more valuable than kata or shadow boxing, though to get moves down I've done lots of kata and shadow boxing, and bag and pad work. And steal what works. Like Prof G has a wicked counter punch right hook (with side stepping flank to close the distance ) that he uses on me as I have more reach.

Actually what helped me after many years of various standup was a somewhat weird high level TMA guy drilling me on flanking (and analyzing based on CMA's element stuff the style of the opponent so as to respond correctly), which was very boring and he had me start slow, which was hard to stand. But since he could beat me, I obeyed (first spar he won scoring about 5/3, second he won 5/0 as he'd analyzed my style). But my sparring improved bunches in the sport system I was doing.

And what this bs means is that you never know where you'll pick stuff up.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 9/09/2008 9:03am at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/09/2008 9:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you retreat you tend to move your front foot first, so for a fraction of a second your feet are close together. If someone follows you back you might find yourself unable to get out of their way in time. Always move your rear foot first when moving backwards.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast