Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 1:46am

Style: Jiu Jits, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Urban Boxing club, Riddlers Muay Thai. Perth Australia

Hey hey, Does anyone know anything about these clubs. I would appreciate anyones experience training here or even what they have heard about these places.

I am a reformed ninja, lol. Trained for three years in East perth and I am currently training at Gracie Barra in Cannington. I am looking for places that emphasize sparring and contact drills, preferably every lesson but i will settle for one sparring class per week.

I am going to Urban on Monday for a class and i will see how that goes. (I have heard good things.)

Also if anyone has any other recomendations for a good striking school in perth please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 2:48am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    East Perth?

Ninja Kai Taijitsu with mr john ang?

I've heard really decent things about both clubs, no first hand experience though, best to give em a go and post up a club review

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 2:57am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to Riddlers and give them a try, i can't tell you what the gym is like but i can tell you it produces good fighters. We've had a few guys from riddlers fight in the local brisbane shows and clean up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    snowman, yeah it was ninjukai, do you have any experience there?

Thanks Sang, like i said im going to give Urban a shot for a while, i would like to learn to box to give me a good foundation for my stand up, plus you can pay by the class.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 4:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ugh...probably a bit late...4 months late...but that bjj palce also has muay thai the 1/53 kent street...i go there...my friend also goes to cobra martial arts which is in canningvale i think and then theres phon martdee gym in perth...oh and i just pay $15 (lil pricey all summed up) for the cannington kickboxing cos i cant really go for 12 months...school exams argh!!! yeah...cos if u go to the gracie barra JJ then the cannington kickboxing is at the same place...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 9:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks man, I have watched a lot of the Cannington Kickboxing classes, seems like a good school but I wanted something with a bit more sparring.

Just for Interest. Urban boxing club has closed down, Riddlers Gym is very good, however I am paying $120 a month to train there.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 9:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah...lacks sparring...but i think its got something to do with makin sure we dont get hurt lol...cos only the more experienced...i guess...people spar while others normally stay on pads...yeah...

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 12:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its fair enough if you do little sparring in the first couple of months and when you do it is soft. Noobs spazzing out leads to injuries and nothing learnt except that they are not the uber killing machines they thought they were. Check the intermediate group for a way to guage if the gym is a cardio kbing class.

$120 a month at Riddlers? Dam that is pretty pricey, how many classes a week do they offer for that? I pay 80/month at mine (5 days) , paid 100 a month at Nuggets (3 days). I even get 3 personal training hours a week for that 80 as well along with weights access. Might be a lack of supply out there though, brisbane/gold coast is the capital of MT in Australia.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 1:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.riddlersgym.com.au/timetable.html

Riddlers has classes every night, however I can only make it Monday, Wednesday and Friday because of Jiu Jitsu commitments.

I agree $120 per month is expensive (I am already paying $100 a month for BJJ),
    I have shopped around and the other good Muay Thai schools in perth are upwards of $100.

I agree that it is definitely best to ease a student into sparring, It is just that at my old ninjer school I was sparring at least three times per week, and I am already starting to feel rusty.

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classes 7 days a week is awesome, worth the $120. It might be worth dedicating yourself to just BJJ or MT for a year or so first, will be cheaper this way. It is also a fairly shared view here that it is better to have a strong base in one art before crosstraining. You will find MT sparring very different from your ninja sparring, i wouldn't mention your ninja skills unless you want to get beat on though.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast