Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 9:15pm

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with Kyphosis (round shoulders)

This question is mainly aimed at the experienced strength training people out there.
    I train in a mixture of martial arts and fitness work including weights training and have been for many years. I train in something nearly everyday.
    Ive been told recently that my posture is very poor, kyphotic. Round shoulders.
    In analysing what Im doing, Ive been trying to keep my weights training balanced, working both the back and chest equally etc etc.

Ive come to realise that 90% of the time in my martial arts training, I have round shoulders, which is correct for my fighting training, but poor posture for normal day to day work.
    Ive been told I look like a gorilla ready for a fight all the time!!

I was wondering if any other people had similar problems and any ideas or specific training thoughts as to how to improve posture?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:14pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got horrific posture and I've been thinking about how to correct this myself. I would guess that rounded, forward posture would come from a few things, but I figure the main ones would be a lack of flexibility in the chest mucles and a lack of strength in the shoulder/back muscles, literally pulling your shoulders forward. My guess on how to counter it would be to ramp up your rows and back work (esp. pulling exercises) whilst trying to stretch out one's chest as much as possible. You'd have to wait for some of the more experienced posters to come along before you get pro advice, but this is sort of what I'm planning to focus on for my posture.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 7:49am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It suggests lax trap muscles and tight pec minors. Possibly too much bench and not enough rows.

Its possible that you are suffering from too much internal rotation, I would reccomend that you learn to "set the scapulae" in the correct position i.e. drawing them back and across. When they are set performing exercises on the traps, external roatotors and rear delts. Such as BORs, band pull aparts and face pulls.

This is basically stuff I was told from a PT a couple of days and stuff Emevas mentioned. I have a similiar problem but also instability and pain in the shoulder joints.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 8:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you do for a living? Do you spend hours at a computer? That's what destroyed my posture. I look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I now sit on one of those exercise balls - forces you to sit straight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 11:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some sort of yoga and joint mobility movements, and chin ups.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do any sort of striking, you're doing way more pushing than pulling during your training (all the punching), and as such, that could be contributing towards your imbalance.

Rear delt work is your friend.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69