Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To my limited knowledge, that's still bad. Last time I checked, punching with any additional weight (save maybe boxing gloves) alters your form. And as much as we'd all like to punch harder, punching form is much more important.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto
    Not literally on my toes. The weights are in my hands. I meant I have to do boxing footwork on the balls of my feet & ties while holding the weights in a defensive position. I then go down and punch with the weights and then duck like evading a headshot.
    Err, did your boxing coach told you about this particular "shadowboxing with weights" drill? Get some sparring gloves on and shadow box with them. Avoid anything that does not resemble the situations you will be in when boxing. You are not going to hold weights on your hands while boxing, nor have 3lbs weights around your wrists. Those things are completely different animals from boxing gloves. The mechanics are different, the muscles in your upper body will compensate differently. Punching and pulling your hands back while holding so much weight might even be detrimental to your joints.

If you want to work your arms and shoulders, then shadow box and hit a speedbag (or simulate you are hitting one if you don't have one.) Also, check Ross Enamait's website (www.rosstraining.com). He has excellent material in developing conditioning and strength for combat sports, including boxing. This includes throwing objects while simulating a punch, a balistic/power exercise that mimics and has carry over to the things you do in boxing (unlike this shadow boxing with weights thing).
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 4:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had this argument before and I disagree with the physical culture crowd on this one. If you learn this technique while holding the 3 pounders (not on the wrist) and know not to overextend your pinches and keep your hands high it is a great addition to regular shadowboxing. It is NOT the same movement as no weight shadowboxing. It trains the muscles in the top of your shoulder and makes it seem easy to keep your hands up in a fight. It is largely for keeping your hands up NOT for punching power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 6:04pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I've had this argument before and I disagree with the physical culture crowd on this one. If you learn this technique while holding the 3 pounders (not on the wrist) and know not to overextend your pinches and keep your hands high it is a great addition to regular shadowboxing. It is NOT the same movement as no weight shadowboxing. It trains the muscles in the top of your shoulder and makes it seem easy to keep your hands up in a fight. It is largely for keeping your hands up NOT for punching power.
    Can you point me to a detailed description or video of a drill like that? It sounds like something I might like to try.

Edit:

I searched “shadow boxing weights” and this Fedor clip turned up. This the kind of thing you were talking about?

YouTube - Fedor - Shadow boxing
    Last edited by muddy; 9/05/2008 6:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 6:10pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't recommend it in most cases. And usually not until you've been boxing for a couple years and even then, not for shadowboxing period.

It's ok to run with 1-3 pounders in your hand, that **** is tiring.

The way I've used weights with punching, is take my position, hold one 15 pounder in my jab hand, and throw/return 3 sets of 12, alternating with the straight punch after each set. It's ok to take the jab step with each jab throw, and a rear foot step with your straight return. Also, each throw is quick, because don't want to hold that weight out at arm's length for more than a split second, a set per hand takes like 5 seconds or so.

But this isnt something you should try until a couple of years, because it is dangerous in many ways if you mess it up. Could hurt your back/shoulders/elbows pretty easily.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 6:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would never do it with 15 pounds. I always used 3 the way I was taught. The Fedor clip is pretty close. If you notice he isn't throwing full extensions. IMO he is going a little too fast and keeping his hands too low.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 8:33pm

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going by what coach told me. He did tell us not to exceed five pounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 10:27am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto
    I'm going by what coach told me.
    That's about how you gotta do it.

Mine was like a drill instructor. Sometimes it was brutal, but I loved jumping to the task.
    Last edited by Nemesai; 9/06/2008 1:00pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12