Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 2:53am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    I smell some bullshido from these guys, I've seen their fighters get beat up pretty quick by some talentless dutch cross guys.
    pardon me for my ignorance, but what exactly is "dutch cross"? i looked it up on wikipedia but all they had was a medal for serving in the resistance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 4:41am

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cranky Dutchmen or probably Dutchmen who cross train would be my guess?
    You wouldnt want to get beaten up by a mildly amused dutchman? or even a slightly depressed one? They would have to be cross.
    or worst of all a hysterical Australian!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 4:23pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a dutch style of muay thai that focuses heavily on the boxing aspect, also they like to alternate sides with every strike.
    Its a very powerful style, but also a very predictable style

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 5:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternate sides with every strike? What the Hell is the theory behind that?

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 6:17pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Send him an email, ask him what organization he is qualified through to rank people at all in Muay Boran. It is a very specific style, the copyrights of which belonging to certain groups and he can be sued for using their name if it is not directly associated through them. One thing I can tell you for sure, is no black belts are involved. And counter grappling isn't a style, unless he made it up.

Anyways, sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

Didja even send them an email yet? I hate it, people come on here and say; "I'm wondering about this guy's qualifiactions", etc., without talking to the guy. Just send him a damn email, politely asking the questions you are curious about when you start the thread. Also, inclide a link to the thread so they can be permitted to defend themselves and offer what might be useful information without all of these behind-your-back assumptions going on.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:04pm

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've a feeling any club affiliated to Master Toddy has a grading syllabus but to honet the system isn't that bad and encourages plenty of feedback to the student.
    This helps the majority who only train in the art.
    If it wasn't for the likes of Toddy and Sken Thai Boxing wouldn't have the impact it has today. They were amongst the first to bring it out of Thailand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I know this is a dead thread, but as I have never actually been on Bullshido before, I havent seen it.

Ive been at TCMA since I was 9 and I first moved to bellingham, and I'll have been training there for 11 years this june. The school has gone through lots of evolution and I'd like to refute some of what has been said here. I can pretty much guarantee that the guy who started this thread never actually went in to talk to David, because he would have answered many of his own questions and doubts.

in regard to the belts: THERE ARE NO BELTS IN MAUY THAI, there are no belts in krabi krabong, Muay Boran, or Wing Tsung (well technically there are levels). The only reason belts were introduced into his martial arts program was for the childrens program and adults looking for fitness. MA is a business and the way he explained it to me when I asked him that exact question was that it was a goal for students and adults to reach, something to keep them motivated when they werent interested in fighting as a sport. There is a little of the "inner circle" stuff going on, because only when a student has put in the four years of time it takes to be recognized as a black belt from David, is he allowed to work with Ahrjan Steven Wilson, a premier knowledge base on Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran.

With the fight team, however, there are of course no belts. When someone is interested in competing and has shown commitment and respect for the Thai tradition, then He will try them out on the fight team. They are completely and totally separate programs, there is a steep learning curve on the fight team.

As far as performance in competition goes, I don't know who all these guys are that got "creamed" by dutch crossers but I can say as with every fight team there are different levels of skill between the practitioners and there are those on the team that fight more on heart than skill, but there are just as many who fight extremely well. Its not about arguing records however if I need to provide some names and records and titles I can absolutely do so.

If I had to rate my own school, I would say that it is a good place to get a strong FOUNDATION in traditional Muay Thai. There is as much respect for the traditions of Muay Thai as there is for its technique and application. David Brown's title Ahrjan was accredited by the Thai government and he is trusted with spreading the heritage of Muay Thai in the Northwest. There are few other places to get a complete picture of the art and its heritage, however it does take a little too much time to get deep into the actual competition aspect, and of course just as with every other teacher there are some things you listen to and things you dont.

Bottom line, he is legitimate, respected and has done a lot for the heritage of the sport in the pacific northwest. It is a very good place to learn if you can take the eastern philosophy with a grain of salt. It just requires a little bit of exploration.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 7:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miraclemty View Post
    I know I know this is a dead thread, but as I have never actually been on Bullshido before, I havent seen it.

Ive been at TCMA since I was 9 and I first moved to bellingham, and I'll have been training there for 11 years this june. The school has gone through lots of evolution and I'd like to refute some of what has been said here. I can pretty much guarantee that the guy who started this thread never actually went in to talk to David, because he would have answered many of his own questions and doubts.

in regard to the belts: THERE ARE NO BELTS IN MAUY THAI, there are no belts in krabi krabong, Muay Boran, or Wing Tsung (well technically there are levels). The only reason belts were introduced into his martial arts program was for the childrens program and adults looking for fitness. MA is a business and the way he explained it to me when I asked him that exact question was that it was a goal for students and adults to reach, something to keep them motivated when they werent interested in fighting as a sport. There is a little of the "inner circle" stuff going on, because only when a student has put in the four years of time it takes to be recognized as a black belt from David, is he allowed to work with Ahrjan Steven Wilson, a premier knowledge base on Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran.

With the fight team, however, there are of course no belts. When someone is interested in competing and has shown commitment and respect for the Thai tradition, then He will try them out on the fight team. They are completely and totally separate programs, there is a steep learning curve on the fight team.

As far as performance in competition goes, I don't know who all these guys are that got "creamed" by dutch crossers but I can say as with every fight team there are different levels of skill between the practitioners and there are those on the team that fight more on heart than skill, but there are just as many who fight extremely well. Its not about arguing records however if I need to provide some names and records and titles I can absolutely do so.

If I had to rate my own school, I would say that it is a good place to get a strong FOUNDATION in traditional Muay Thai. There is as much respect for the traditions of Muay Thai as there is for its technique and application. David Brown's title Ahrjan was accredited by the Thai government and he is trusted with spreading the heritage of Muay Thai in the Northwest. There are few other places to get a complete picture of the art and its heritage, however it does take a little too much time to get deep into the actual competition aspect, and of course just as with every other teacher there are some things you listen to and things you dont.

Bottom line, he is legitimate, respected and has done a lot for the heritage of the sport in the pacific northwest. It is a very good place to learn if you can take the eastern philosophy with a grain of salt. It just requires a little bit of exploration.
    Counter grappling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not now nor have I ever participated or learned any grappling from Ahrjan David Or Ahrjan Steve Wilson.

For me personally, If I was wishing to learn grappling in any form I would seek out a grappling instructor, I have 0 (empashis) 0 knowledge or background or experience of any kind in grappling besides that which has been taught to me briefly while checking out friends gyms like Charlie's Combat club in everett and WCFC here in Bellingham. Our website, as shitty as it is, is not maintained and has not been updated in some time.

The grappling that is taught to some of the fitness/self defense practitioners is only taught once they have attained certain ranks, and to be quite honest I stay far away from it. It is from Ahrjan David's Wing Tsung Curriculum, and does not include BJJ, JJJ, or anything of that nature. From what I have seen it has all been LRC techniques. TCMA used to host many LEOs when the Wing Tsung classes had the largest turnout of students a few years ago, however since then I have seen the classes turn to block schedules so most of that is incorporated into his curriculum for the students who have been around a while.

WE DO NOT TEACH BJJ at our school, and at least to my knowledge I have never seen us advertising that.

As far as trash talking WCFC, As mentioned by the guy who started this thread and whose name escapes me right now, I must apologize for anything negative that you heard or anything that offended you. I am not my teacher, I have no idea what he has said or what others have said. I know that personally I have lots of respect for the fighters over at WC, I have a number of friends who have gone there and I think you are all real nice guys. I dont know what has been said or by whom, I just want to make sure that the opinions of whoever insulted you guys are the opinions of the individual, and there are lots of peopel on the fight team here who enjoy watching the FNE shows. Please dont think that everyone over at TCMA has a negative or low opinion of any other martial arts school. Some people just have big mouths, and if you can privately point out those who have had negatvie things to say, I will talk to them directly and it will not continue. That sort of thing is not condusive to the martial arts community.

Bottom line, Im just a student, and above all Im only a student of Traditional Muay Thai. I dont have the answers for you when it comes to the grappling or the other styles that were advertised on that ad. I stay away from everything that isnt muay Thai and that isnt taught by an accredited teacher. I have been learning for a long time, and I follow Thai Boxing religiously. I'm sorry that I dont have more detailed info on what has been advertised by my coach. But I can say that the Muay Thai, Muay Boran, and Krabi Krabong are top notch. I cannot speak for anything or anyone else at my school. I hope that is sufficient. Please let me know if I can provide you with any more information to help clear up this matter.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 8:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're missing the point. There is mention counter grappling I want to know why.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast