Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate, Judo, Aikido

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum for this kind of question, but I hope it is.

I'm looking into joining a dojo, but I'm at a loss at which style to practice. The city I'm in are small, so my choices are limited to Karate, Judo, and Aikido.

The reason I think of Karate is because i used to be a green belt (5 years ago or more), and I'm just really interested in going back, and I can deal with the accusations of impracticality, since I'm content with just enjoying what I do (I loved the katas).

I'd also like to try out Judo for gaining some balance training and Aikido.

What I'm asking is, can anyone give me basic comparisons of these styles? Or a basic rundown of each of them if you have any experience? I'm not asking for which is the "best", just descriptions that fit or info that you think should be taken into consideration.

I appreciate the help, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I'm assuming the karate style is shotokan.
    Last edited by Abbas; 11/23/2011 4:17pm at .

Style
    karate, judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend judo: splits time between take-downs/throws and ne-waza (ground fighting). if you find a BJJ gym that offers judo than even better: BJJ specializes on ne-waza with less rules.

Aikido..can be a lot of fun, and like judo, will learn how to fall and roll, but a lot of them could care less about learning how to fight or "defend" them selves in a practical, unpredictable, way. But if your dojo's the rare gem that has effective practices, integrating punches and kicks, then join!

shotokan karate...might be fun, but many are McDojo-like that do not teach how to fight. join it, only if your dojo actually teach practical fighting ("self-defense" for people that prefer euphemisms) .

Last edited by charlie echo; 11/23/2011 4:35pm at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you want from your training?

Do you want to practice something for its own sake?

Do you want to learn to fight?

Do you want to get fit?

If you want either fitness and or fighting Judo or a full contact form of Krotty such as Kyokushin.

If you want to practice something for its own sake Aikido and non-contact forms of Krotty such as Shotokan.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    J-uk is absolutely right to ask those questions. You seem happy enough in Kata so you haven't fallen into the trap of just wanting to learn to hurt people. If anything, you seem very relaxed.

I shan't offer any advice, perhaps except to look at the Instructor. If you like and respect him or her and feel you can learn honestly without fear or favour, then why not go with them?

Just a thought, so feel free to disregard. Good Luck.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice.

And yeah, I enjoy kata enough. One thing that also attracted me to the idea was that this specific instructor was recommended to me by a friend (who's into mma) and said he teaches some practical stuff, so I do get *some* practicality out of it.

I guess if Aikido isn't actually useful in self-defense then I'll ditch it. I think I might go with just going for Karate now and maybe take a break a couple of months in to check out judo for a while to get some basics and come back. Or maybe judo first? I think I definitely want some variety in my style (striking + takedowns would be nice).

Thanks again for all the tips.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want something that will actually teach you how to fight and consequentially give you the self-confidence, common sense and fitness to not need to fight.

Then Judo or a full contact Krotty style i.e Kyokushin.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate is typically the most commonly found, so there are obviously more crappy schools out there. Make sure the teachers are capable of detailed instruction and know why it is they teach what they teach. Too many people break off from their instructor and start a school when they are not ready.

....This is especially true for aikido. I am a bit biased, but I really hate most aikido dojo I visit...and I've visited many. In particuloar, aikikai based dojo have a progression level that is a bit chaotic. Students are learning through imitating what they see their seniors do, and these seniors are all too often unable to explain why things work; explanations such as 'extend ki' and 'keep weight underside' are not sufficient for my training and I would not train at a place that does not know to tell me how stuff works.

I'm really new at Judo so I can't offer much advice. Considerations I would make are seeing if they do competition or not (if thats a concern of yours), and watching how they practice.

All in, try not to base judgement off of watching just one class....often schools have different people teaching different nights; some who like to emphasize different things.

Take notice of the types of people training...are they all kids, are there adults, do they train in a manner in which you would like to train?

Anyway man, enjoy and I hope you find a good fit!

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo uk has the correct when he asked "what do you want from your training".

I can only speak for aikido of those three. My advice is to find out if people at the club cross-train.

If the students do, then you have members from other arts who think they are benefiting from the aikido taught at that school. If the instructor cross-trains, that'll demonstrate something about his values better than what he says when you talk to him.

I think you could get something great from any of the three styles, as long as you are choosy. If you are going to spend less time or care choosing, then judo has the best odds of being a good club.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor point on the Instructor, remember students eventually tend to emulate their instructor through the training. So try to make sure you get a good instructor at whatever you decide to do.
    :-)

Cheers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    d"If you want something that will actually teach you how to fight and consequentially give you the self-confidence, common sense and fitness to not need to fight.

Then Judo or a full contact Krotty style i.e Kyokushin."

No offense intended, but I already have the self-confidence and common sense (although there are doubts regarding my fitness) necessary to avoid a fight, so those certainly aren't why I'm looking to join a gym.

And unfortunately I live in a small city, so my options are limited, and kyoushkin isn't one of them. But I keep liking the idea of judo.

@daishi the karate instructor was held to some regard by the friend who recommended him, saying he taught "street" techniques, so that's a plus. And I share your negative view of Aikido. I took classes for about a month or two long ago, and it just seemed very mundane and rigid. The instructor would just teach us techniques, and that's it. Although I did learn some very useful joint-manipulation, for the most part it felt like memorizing multiplication charts, as opposed to understanding them.

Thanks for the thoughts.

@Ignorami I like the idea of cross-training, and I agree with you about Judo's chances.

@Eddie I will.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last