Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 2:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a power lifting background I can assure you I will not be doing any kind of upper body work or any free weight lower body stuff for at least several months. I will likely do some machine leg work like leg presses, extensions, and curls, but that will be it. And hyper extensions and lots of ab work. It will still be a couple weeks before I can do any of that. At this point even walking can be painful as it causes my arm to bounce even slightly. It is getting a little better though and physical therapy starts in a week.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, hey, how about hip belt squats? No shoulder involvement at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 11:32pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    I am a newb having never trained before. I am VERY interested in giving it a try. However I have just undergone shoulder surgery for some cartilage tears in my rotator cuff. This includes two bone anchors. Would this type of surgery/injury be something to prevent me from ever training in martial arts?
    Talk to your doctor and physical therapist. I had shoulder surgery and once the Therapist and the Doctor said "No limitations" and I was good to go. I started training again.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 3:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I have my first followup and my first PT session next week so I will talk to them about that then just to find out their thoughts. I know it will be several months before I will be able to do much in the way of strength training the shoulder but I am hoping that by then I can at least get started learning the basics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:05am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Zerchers are not shoulder-safe - the full load of the weight is on the arms, and consequently hanging from the shoulders. Safety squats might be all right, depending on where the bars are sitting and how much control you have.

And if "zombies" are what I think they are, you're saying that putting all the weight directly on top of the injured area is a good idea?

As you put it, "I must disagree."
    Zombies rest on the front delts, but they put the shoulder in a natural posistion. I'm not saying they will neccesairly work for the OP they are just one of many ways to work around some shoulder injuries. Zerchers can be used in some shoulder injuries becuase they put less tension on the shoulder than traditional back squats.

These are two ways I currently lift with shoulder injuries becuase traditional back squat is extremely uncomfortable on my left shoulder.

These are both ideas I acrued from Keith Wassung, a pretty awesome powerlifter. He occasionally posts on SnP on sherdog.

I'm not saying which will work for the OP I'm just saying even with a shoulder injury there are many ways of training squats and deadlifts with free weights around such shoulder injuries.

The best bet would probably to sequester a strong platform for your feet involving two raised boxes. Then use a dipping belt and squat using that. This would place no stress at all on the shoulders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 7:07am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, hey, how about hip belt squats? No shoulder involvement at all.
    Goddamit.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In case anyone's curious about what a safety squat bar is...

I wish I had one. It might take the load off the shoulder. Emphasis on might.
    They do, a lot, by having the arms not extended to the sides. That takes a lot of pressure away, specially with impigment. I've used them before and I wish I could get one of those.

The thing is the surgery. There is still pressure coming down on the shoulders. There is no shoulder movement at all, but there is still pressure. And with surgery, that **** could be just too much to play with.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Goddamit.
    Yeah. That thing is good, I used to use it at Golds Gym eons ago. I"m currently in the process of making one at home (along with two squat stands made out of 6x6s and a shrug cage out of two tricep bars and 2x4's... as soon as I get a life again :P)

One cannot go wrong with a squat belt when dealing with a shoulder injury. The only problem is loading that thing heavy enough while standing on two benches. It can get tricky.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12