Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 8:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choke Injury

Okay, I admit; I used to sing quite a bit in high school. Iwas part of a choir, and also was part of a rock band for some time. Every one in a while I used to record in my tiny home studio and enjoy my music hobby. I got away from it for a while, but I still loved impersonating funny voices and making jokes using my wide range.

Two weeks ago I tapped too late to a rear naked choke at my BJJ class. I heard a crunch before he let go. It didn't hurt that bad and I finished that session with no problem. I continued running and other sorts of physical activities no problem.

Except my voice was all messed up. It was hard to speak that day. The following few days I experienced difficulty in speaking loudly and shouting. I speak like a typical Californian and utilize pitch to emphasize certain points in my sentences. I couldn't do any of that.

At a gator football game I couldn't even root for my team. This week I have some of that range back, but I can barely do more than one octave. (I used to hit notes from tenor to mezzo soprano!!)

I read up various injuries from strangulation, and it sounds like the worst you can get is cartilige damage in that area. The article also mentioned that the only real remedy involved surgery.

Obviously my "injury" isn't that bad since I can speak almost normally now.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of injury and specifically noticed a permenant decrease in range? I am just hoping the muscles controlling my vocal chords are strained and they need a while to recover.. I sense almost no pain in my throat now..

I hope I'm posting in the right section. Thanks!

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, all we can tell you is that you should go see a medical professional.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a medical professional, unless he is a musician, will be able to tell me anything all that useful. In fact, I am sure the doctors at the place I'll probably go (university clinic since I am poor) will ask if I have any pain, any problems talking, and when I answer no he'll send me home...hah!

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:44pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see doctor, and do not be afraid to emphasize that your talking has changed and you are having trouble. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 1:28am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    voice box got compressed maybe? Soft tissue so maybe it'll heal over time. Just don't strain it. But yes, see a professional.

Besides it's not like you really NEEDED to root for the Gators. That thing got boring before the first quarter was even over.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of advice are you expecting to get from us?

"Oh, yeah, I'll walk you through the surgery. Grab yourself some iodine and a scalpel."

Go see a doctor.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this type of injury, and if they did, if their voice changed permanantly or if it made a full recovery. I'd like to compare the circumstances surrounding everyone else's issue.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 12:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    <rant>
    What is this forum for, then? Getting anecdotal evidence IS HELPFUL for people in this situation. "Yeah, don't go back to class, it'll get worse. See a doc too." "Don't worry about it--it cleared up for me. See a doctor to make sure." If all we do here is point people to doctors, we may as well close up shop.

Helping people explain their injury clearly and concisely, with context, is helpful both to them and to the doctor. Suggesting that it may be X or Y, based on similar experiences, is helpful.
    </rant>

No, I've never personally had that kind of injury. Any throat trouble cleared up before an hour was up (except for soreness and gi-hickeys). I bet most doctors would be at a loss--I would ask your instructor as well as the university doc.

Where did you hear the "pop"? Is there any soreness? Specifically where?

I bet it's inflammation.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you are way off base.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    What is this forum for, then?
    If it were called the "Russian Roulette Medical Diagnosis Forum", you'd be right. It's not. It's called the "Physical Training, Diet, and Health Forum". I'd imagine that it's for discussing physical training, diet, and health.

Getting anecdotal evidence IS HELPFUL for people in this situation. "Yeah, don't go back to class, it'll get worse. See a doc too." "Don't worry about it--it cleared up for me. See a doctor to make sure."
    In other words, the only advice he's consistently going to receive is "See a doctor".

If all we do here is point people to doctors, we may as well close up shop.
    If someone has a question that nobody here can reasonably answer (both because most of us don't have the necessary expertise and because we can't conduct our own examinations), it's dishonest and counterproductive for us to pretend that we can.

Helping people explain their injury clearly and concisely, with context, is helpful both to them and to the doctor. Suggesting that it may be X or Y, based on similar experiences, is helpful.
    Bad information is worse than no information. I mean, look at this:

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym
    I don't think a medical professional, unless he is a musician, will be able to tell me anything all that useful.
    So where does that leave us? Sure, there are crappy doctors out there that will blow off his symptoms as not being severe. But he needs to at least try consulting a doctor, and if the answers are unsatisfactory, then maybe some of us can help him.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 9/05/2008 12:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 1:56pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you’re a victim of a full on throat crush to me. Keep in mind, if it’s not a blood choke it’s a throat crush or a neckcrank, or a combination of the three.

Not all chokes, make you pass out. I’m not trying to sound like a dick, but a lot of people I’ve talked to have never heard of a throat crush or neck crank. Mostly nubes but still.
    If you get banged up from a throat crush it should heal in a 2 or 3 weeks from what I’ve heard (Bas Rutten).

{Insert story}
    Early on in my training one of my training partners put me in a neck crank. I fought it because I was dumb and wanted to be tough. I didn’t want to tap to him because he started his training a bit after mine. I didn’t know what could happen from that kind of sub, I just thought could be strong and take it even though he had far superior leverage. The result – Torn Neck muscle and a 50% cut in mobility from the right side of my neck and lots of pain. Time has healed it some, but it’s never been the same. Hope fully I will get some of the flexibility back as time goes on. I would say its about 80% compared to the other side.
    Knowing really is half the battle
    -thank you G.I. JOE
    {end story}

I could say like everybody else does “go see a doctor!” but as much as that cost, it’s always a last option for me, I understand what it’s like to be poor. A useless trip to the doctor is never in the financial cards for me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast