Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They only have one school in the US, and it's in Boston. The last I knew, they were teaching a class in the NYC metro area once a month, but the only studio they have is in Boston. According to their website they're also teaching classes at the YMCA in Cambridge now. Their physical school in Boston is actually in Brookline, a suburb of Boston.

As far as their lineage goes, they never made any specific claims about where it's from or who Asanaro's teacher was. If you look at their wiki discussions page this is a point of contention and why no one believes they're legitimate. There's a chance if you asked them directly yourself you'd be able to get a better answer from them, but I doubt it. They thrive on secrecy and enjoy the 'mystique' it creates. The most comprehensive answer I've ever heard them give is that boabom is an 'ancient tibetan martial art'.

I believe the reason they don't make any specific claims about their origin and their lineage is because it's a hodge podge thing they've created on their own. I believe their most basic fighting stance would get your wrists broken in a split second, which is why I'm inclined to believe they're making this stuff up because it has no real-world-application.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should also add that they like to hold summer solstice parties. These are informal get togethers with food in a public space, and include a small performance. They'll teach you a sequence and then have each class perform a different sequence. They record these performances and share them between schools. I don't know if they have any other schools, but the only other school I ever recalled seeing was the school in Vina del Mar's.

They host video showing parties which again include some light snacks. If I recall correctly, they also ask for donations at the video showing parties. Someone who had stuck with the school longer than I did recently told me that they were sick of seeing the videos because it was always the same videos over and over again.

The video parties are hosted at the school from my knowledge (which is now about 3 or 4 years old). Meanwhile their summer solstice parties take place at the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, although they did hold one at Suffolk University one year. One of the 'teachers' is affiliated with Suffolk some how. I heard he taught there, but again, I wouldn't know for certain because it wasn't any of my concern!

I've also seen the Chilean teachers, who are really the core of the group, presumably walking home together after classes. I believe they all live together.

In case you're wondering about their graduation ceremonies, or their practices in general here's some more info. Each level takes about 3 months. You can be stuck in a level for a really long time if there's not enough people in it to merit a graduation ceremony. They'll let someone who's only been practicing for like 4 weeks graduate when everyone else has been practicing for 6 months, so long as they have enough people.

Graduation ceremonies are basically like any other class. You do about 30 mins of the class, and then you have a meditation component of the ceremony. Everyone sits indian style in a darkened room, and is supposed to close their eyes. I snuck a few peaks in when I could, and I believe they walk around the students and wave their hands about a foot away from everyone. I think they think they're doing energy work, like releasing chi blockages. I always laughed uncontrollably during this part because it was so silly. Other students thought it was weird but funny, and the 'teachers' encouraged this. They said something along the lines of 'That's okay, everyone has different reactions.'

In order to graduate you have to wear all black to the ceremony, pay a $40-60 graduation fee, and bring a present for the teachers. They said this was necessary because this is what they used to do in the olden days. I believe there's some story similar to this in one of Asanaro's books. I don't think they ever fail anyone. I heard one story about a student who totally choked during the graduation ceremony, and he still advanced to the next level. They let everyone advance to the next level, and my partner and his friend used to complain about this because there was a girl who didn't do anything but kept advancing with their class. It got to the point where she'd spend like 90% of the class sitting out because something was too hard for her but she still kept advancing to the next level. The next level, of course, means more money for the school because they charge you for the graduation ceremony and the next level usually comes with a price increase. I think the price increase capped out at about $110 per month, and they boasted that you could come to any class below your current level.
    Last edited by JenM; 4/22/2011 10:33pm at . Reason: Adding more information

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:37pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for all this thread bumping Jen, this information is extraordinarily interesting. Do you recall any specific claims of teaching self-defense proficiency?
    Last edited by Epeeist; 4/22/2011 10:46pm at .

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read 2 of Asanaro's books, and my general impression is the same old new age bullshit catering to mindless hippies who have no direction in life, and too much money in their bank account.

Tried to do a cursory search on Asanaro, but could find nothing about him not associated with his web site. If there was a legitimate investigation into his background, it would probably do a lot of good. His Baobom book seems to have a lot of dubious material, including a corkscrew punch which claims to be better than a regular punch, since the fist turns all the way out with the palm facing outside.

Also a lot of new agey stories supposedly from Tibet. Would be interesting to have a native Tibetan or someone familiar with the lore to take a look at this material. I'll try to scan some of the pages within the next few days.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=66850

Look at post #4. "Good morning,i practice boabom in madrid,here has a different name though," like Sung Thru, perhaps? These people are shady.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    Thank you for all this thread bumping Jen, this information is extraordinarily interesting. Do you recall any specific claims of teaching self-defense proficiency?
    Yes, the way they teach it to you it is absolutely being sold to people as self-defense. They have a sparring element to their studies, and they call it "logak". In logak, you spar with a partner, or sometimes several partners, but you always maintain your distance and are absolutely not supposed to touch anyone whatsoever. They say that the reason there's no contact in boabom is because it's so lethal that contact would be devastating, and furthermore, they believe that when you train with contact it teaches you to flinch. They said that when you're actually in a fight and need to use boabom, they don't want you to flinch, which is why they never encourage contact. When you do logak, it's usually very slow, and there's a strong emphasis placed on the breathing techniques. Breathing techniques are also an integral part of their teachings. The breathing techniques change from level to level. The idea is the more advanced you get the deeper your breathing technique should be.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JenM View Post
    Yes, the way they teach it to you it is absolutely being sold to people as self-defense. They have a sparring element to their studies, and they call it "logak". In logak, you spar with a partner, or sometimes several partners, but you always maintain your distance and are absolutely not supposed to touch anyone whatsoever. They say that the reason there's no contact in boabom is because it's so lethal that contact would be devastating, and furthermore, they believe that when you train with contact it teaches you to flinch. They said that when you're actually in a fight and need to use boabom, they don't want you to flinch, which is why they never encourage contact. When you do logak, it's usually very slow, and there's a strong emphasis placed on the breathing techniques. Breathing techniques are also an integral part of their teachings. The breathing techniques change from level to level. The idea is the more advanced you get the deeper your breathing technique should be.
    Would you be able to disclose where you train, and who the instructor is?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skimming the book again, definitely contains superior self defense and qi powers claim...

The book in question is: Baobom, Awaken Inner Power Through Defense-Meditation from Ancient Tibet.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:00pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Skimming the book again, definitely contains superior self defense and qi powers claim...

The book in question is: Baobom, Awaken Inner Power Through Defense-Meditation from Ancient Tibet.
    Thank God you have it, I was about to spend $3 to order it on Amazon. Jen's mentioning of this Logak thing also sounds like all too familiar bullshido claims of "too deadly to spar." This no contact=no flinching thing is completely counterintuitive to anyone with fighting experience. I used to flinch all the time and full contact standup is precisely what got me over flinching as much as I have. I would love to see the results Sri Hanuman's questioning comes up with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't care I stopped going there awhile ago. With all the information I've posted they'd easily be able to figure out who I am. I don't train with the boabom people anymore. The instructors for boabom are interchangeable. When I started going there in 2006 they just had Mauro, and Ben as full time teachers, and Asanaro would occasionally come up to Boston to teach classes, too. I'm not sure how Joyce started to be integrated in the group, but eventually her and Asanaro were all here full time. Or at least pretty darn close to full time. I think the official story was that Asanaro was spending 6 months here in Boston and 6 months in Vina del Mar, Chile. Mauro, Joyce, and Asanaro are from Chile.

Ben is the longest standing American member of the group. In 2006 they had a batch of apprentices/teachers they were cultivating. In order to be on track for being a teacher you had to be picked by Asanaro. You had to spend all your time at the school, like being there before all the students started showing up for evening classes, and being the last person to leave to help close up the school (which is really a leased office space). The first step of being a teacher was to sit in on other classes. You'd start with the beginner classes. I'd see the apprentices writing in little notebooks everything that goes on in the class. Later, they'll start teaching intro classes, then the beginner classes, and so on.

You get one teacher per level, although they'll have substitutes if needed. For teachers, I have had classes with Ben, Mauro, Asanaro, and Joyce. I went to their classes in Boston, but I've also been to their school in Vina del Mar, although I didn't take a class there.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast