Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 8:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boabom Investigation starts here!

This is rediculous there hasn't been an investigation into this bullshit art so I am going to do one. Please help.

I came across the art on Craigs List two or three weeks ago. The art stinks of bullshit. On a scale of 1 - 10 where BJJ is 1 and Yellow Bamboo style is 10, Boabom is 15 at least.

Boabom

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Boabom is a system of moving meditation, active relaxation, and self-defense [1]. Its teachers stress that, while the movements learned in the art could effectively be used in a combat situation, the central aim of the practice is to heighten bodily awareness and help the student attain an optimal state of health, energy, and vitality [1]
    The roots of the Art in which Boabom is based upon are identified with an ancient tradition originated in the pre-buddhist Tibet [1]. Despite the fact that Tibet is not famous for its martial arts but is more associated with Buddhism, this country has a long story in these type of teachings, including systems such as Dob-dob [2] and Khamba wrestling systems. Some authors acknowledge the influence of these Tibetan Arts on Chinese martial arts [3] and in yoga [4]
    This teaching is also described as a science of physical and mental development, a technique of self-medicine through movement, relaxation, meditation, and various forms of physical and psychological self-defense[5].
    There are several specific aspects of Boabom that make it different from most other systems of currently popular exercise. First is Boabom's progressive teaching method, forming a chain of increasing complexity movements that the student is able to master one step at a time. There is neither an excessive repetition leading to boredom nor an advance that is too quick or complicated for all of the students to understand, and there is no contact whatsoever in the classes. The Boabom school follows a philosophy of doing no harm to the body; this requires no contact. As well, contact creates fear, whereas the objective is the increased self-confidence and self-security of each and every student. Finally, there is no competition or hierarchy in Boabom, and in fact the class is designed to encourage the exact opposite: an enjoyable, pleasant, fun place to learn how to move your body and focus your mind.

Practices

Boabom is a general name for a teaching comprising three distinct arts or branches:
    • Boabom or Osseous Boabom is a system of quick movements focused on speed and agility. It is often called the 'Art of Self-Medicine through Self-Defense'[1]. This branch is dedicated to the study and practice of movements that develop fast reactions, agility, self-control, balance, speed, precise reflexes, spontaneity, breathing, concentration. Also, the teaching differs from other systems for its movements are taught in a progressive way, resembling a chain in which each new movement learned is linked to the previous one.
    • Seamm-Jasani or Gentle Boabom is a slower, calmer system that consists of slow and fluid exercises that improve coordination and balance, and help to build an equilibrium between body and mind through various techniques of breathing and movement [6].
    • Yaanbao is a Boabom practice involving the use of implements. In this Art one studies the perfection of the movement, its solidity, while using different types of sticks (which differ both in length and in shape) as an extension of the body [7].

From Boston Boabom website. Highlighted claims mine.

THE ROOTS

Boabom is an Art designed to develop Vitality and Internal Energy: the Body and the Mind, together in Meditation through Movements of Balance, Defense, Self-Healing, and Relaxation. Boabom provides quick relief from stress and improves the student's focus, confidence, and both physical condition and mental well-being.

The roots of the Arts of Boabom are lost in time, though we can identify their origins in Bod, Peuyul, or ancient Tibet, a very peculiar region of the Himalayas, thousands of years ago--before the beginning of our Yuga. Yet these teachings prefer no specific country or race of origin, belonging instead to a way of life, a current of thought passed down through the millennia.

The teachings of the School say that their Arts were not meant for everyone. It was not intended that they would be widely dispersed, instead they were to be treated more like a family heirloom. In a certain way, they still are. The Arts of Boabom are not only a bridge to knowledge, but also a fine and yet firm thread connecting the student to the whole of an Art, to a mystical and authentic way of living. These teachings never formed a hierarchical religion, instead focusing on equilibrium, on valuing oneself, and on being oneself in a healthy and natural way, developed through an understanding of one's own potential.

The Boston School of Boabom is non-competitive, non-hierarchical, and does not participate in tournaments or demonstrations. It follows the ancient ways, and is devoted solely to the transmission of its Arts.

From another site
    THE SECOND ART

Osseous Boabom: The Art of Self Defense

This is the most complex area within the Mmulargan School. It can be described as "the Art of Self-Medicine through Self-Defense".

• Physical and technical movement
    • Spontaneity
    • Emanation (or magnetism), what makes this Art truly unique. It has been said, with reason, that, even though not as widely known, this Art is the most ancient and most effective form of self-defense and self-medicine on the Earth.

I have talked to Boabom school and am going to try a free lesson. The instructor (I thought they said they are non-hierarchical????) says he might spar with me :)

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 8:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to see flyers and such for these dopes when I was living in the Boston area. They must have some money, as they had billboards in the Harvard Square T station for a month or two at one point.

Interested parties can find a few lulz on Amazon.com, where the book on boabom has searchable pages.

PS: I'm glad this is in YMAS, not MABS for now. I just cannot take investigations that begin with large copy-pastes from Wikipedia all that seriously, at least not to start.
    Last edited by Rivington; 9/04/2008 10:01am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 8:46pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When Tai Chi is to rough, you can always study Boabom.
    Last edited by Beezer; 9/03/2008 8:50pm at .

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 7:29am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said before, Magnito will sue!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 8:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrel
    This is rediculous there hasn't been an investigation into this bullshit art so I am going to do one. Please help.

This is why:

seems like bullshido - No BS Martial Arts
    WTF!!! have you ever seen this? - No BS Martial Arts

From your wiki article:

Its teachers stress that, while the movements learned in the art could effectively be used in a combat situation, the central aim of the practice is to heighten bodily awareness and help the student attain an optimal state of health, energy, and vitality
    Why investigate an art that admits it isn't primarily for Self Defense? I wish more suspect schools said this in the first place.

Well, have fun but remember, you have no clue what other SD arts the instructor trained.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/04/2008 8:46am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Why investigate an art that admits it isn't primarily for Self Defense? I wish more suspect schools said this in the first place.
    You must have not been paying attention to the bit where they claim that this Art is the most ancient and most effective form of self-defense and self-medicine on the Earth.

I thought debunking BS claims was what this site is about? Sorry if I am posting on the wrong site.
    Last edited by Darrel; 9/05/2008 11:43pm at .

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free Tibet!!!

from bullshit.
    Last edited by Zendetta; 9/06/2008 3:04pm at .
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 3:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to tell you everything I know because I believe there's a dearth of information about these people out there. I don't know where to start. They're very secretive. They don't like telling you their birthnames. When you confront them with their own birth name they get very upset. One of the "teachers" once told me that their name, and anything they do outside of the school is none of my business and of no import to me. I countered that if they committed crimes then it was my business and was relevant. He didn't have an answer to that, just said "Yeah well that's not the case".

They believe they can astral project. If you read Asanaro's books (he's their leader) he talks about astral projecting. The teachers all talk about the "other side" amongst themselves. Their names, like Asanaro, are from "the other side". Other side of what? I'm not sure. Amblam (sounds like emblem) was born Joyce, and her given name appears in Asanaro's books as the translator, but if you call her Joyce she pretends it's not her name. I've seen her parents, and I can't remember if they were on board with the "Amblam" thing or not but I think they were.

They also have some strange writing they use often. It's in a big plaque in their studio, and the writing looks like cuneiforms or crop circles, take your pick! There are smaller plaques around the studio, which are similar to the stations of the cross. When you ask them what this means, they won't tell you. Asanaro likes to answer questions by saying "Ah ha!" and the rest of the "teachers" like to say "Ask Asanaro". All I know for certain is that their school in Vina Del Mar has more plaques around the room than the one in Boston.

Speaking of Vina Del Mar, there was a bit of a scandal they had with their school in Chile. There's a person on the wikipedia page who talks about it. My understanding is that the school in Chile had been opened under a different name, "Sung thru". At this school, there was allegations of sexual coercion from the male "teachers" with the female students in the school. There was also an even bigger allegation that they had forced a student into sexual slavery and brought her to Spain. This allegation is refudiated by the group strongly, their claim is that the girl came on her own accord. Of course, the group in Boston claims to have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

In fact, my partner once approached Ben Kelly, who is one of the "teachers" there about these allegations. He wanted to know if they were true or not, and Ben's response was something along the lines of 'How dare you ask me that. If you ever mentioned this to Asanaro you wouldn't be welcomed here ever again.' My partner never brought this up with Asanaro or any of the other teachers again. Needless to say, this sounds like a guilty response to me if I ever heard one!

My own experience with them was that they were just weird and fake. They make you sit in this small waiting room that's so tiny there's absolutely no room for a private conversation. Anything you say in that room becomes public discussion.

Also, I think they're control freaks. I had a test one time and I didn't wear the requisite all-black to the test. I got there 15 minutes early, and figured that if they had a problem with what I was wearing they'd let me know before we started the test, but they didn't. Asanaro started the test, and then went around the room asking my fellow students if they thought I should be allowed to test or not given that I wasn't wearing all black. Three people said they didn't think it was a big deal and they were okay with letting me wear what I was wearing, but Asanaro didn't stop until he got the answer he wanted. He got the answer he wanted from a Chilean student. I don't know if she followed him up from Chile or what her deal was, but she just said "A rule is a rule", and Asanaro was so pleased that he finally got his answer. After that, he stopped going around the room asking people on their opinions, even though there were about 3 other people left in the room who hadn't voted on the matter. In my opinion, you have to be an incredibly weak person to rely on someone else to validate your position, which is exactly what Asanaro did.

I stopped attending their classes after that because I just didn't have the patience for it anymore. They were charging my partner and I hundreds of dollars a month for a martial art that wasn't very sophisticated, poorly instructed, and was full of assholes.

That's my two cents. I'm here to field any further questions you might have about boabom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 7:28pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy bump, Moses.

I need to get off the computer. My shodan test is tomorrow and this isn't helping me any.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 8:37pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jen:

Thank you for posting, what specifically did they claim about their age and origin?

How many branches do they have in the US and where are there locations?
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast