Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbjj View Post
    this is why is so important to get a good genealogy belt.
    EJ Helio Gracie, Pedro Sauer,Jeff Curran.
    EJ Helio Gracie, Rickson Gracie,Jorge Pereira,Leo Dalla,LLoyd Irvin,Brandon Vera.
    Its much better to have a lineage that is closer to the founder your belt weights more.
    Sometimes theres self taugh Bjj Guys that claim to be black belts when in reality they are Youtube self taught guys.
    Get a teacher really close to one of the founders it takes longer but is worth it.
    thats borderline idiotic

how close an instructor is to helio (or carlson etc) has **** all to do with how good they are.... so long as they have a verifiable lineage & rank then they are fine to teach, the quality of their instruction varies dependent on their individual talents and teaching ability

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbjj View Post
    this is why is so important to get a good genealogy belt.
    EJ Helio Gracie, Pedro Sauer,Jeff Curran.
    EJ Helio Gracie, Rickson Gracie,Jorge Pereira,Leo Dalla,LLoyd Irvin,Brandon Vera.
    Its much better to have a lineage that is closer to the founder your belt weights more.
    Sometimes theres self taugh Bjj Guys that claim to be black belts when in reality they are Youtube self taught guys.
    Get a teacher really close to one of the founders it takes longer but is worth it.

I would think it is more important to get good quality instruction at a place you like to train at, with people you like to train with. If you are there just to get a "good genealogy belt" then you are there for the wrong reasons IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 11:47pm

Style: JKD BJJ JUDO MUY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    with Royce Gracie Now awarding up to brown belts over the internet I have a feeling getting a BJJ blackbelt won't have the same meaning it used to

Posted On:
    2/06/2010 9:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To anyone who is concerned,

My name is Gabriel Chavez registered Taekwondo black belt with the Kukkiwon I received my 1st Dan officially on (05 JAN. 2003) while stationed in Korea as well as being a registered brown belt in Judo under the Ogden dojo Judo school in California.

First let me apologize for your long wait on answers I only recently realized this site even existed. I knew Steven when he was in the Army stationed in Korea. I was stationed there from 2001-2003 then I left for England. (from 2001-2003 was Stevens only time in Korea) After years of not communicating with Steven I met up with him on Myspace and we began correspondence and we "were" going to open up a school together, in fact that is were he got the name "Lineage Martial Arts" from. I even made an entire school site for him. (Though I ended up taking it down do to him loosing correspondence with me.)

While in Korea I was very dedicated to training in Taekwondo and trained everyday and even at work (while on night shift and no one was around) I would practice my technique. But enough about me.

In regards to Steven receiving his BB in BJJ while in Korea I cannot confirm that, nor did I know of any instructor in the area that taught BJJ. I bring that up because being affiliated with a Korean school I got to know the Korean community pretty well and I never heard of a BJJ school around there. I met Steven after kicking the crap out of and then choking out one of his buddies he used to hang with. After that we started hanging out (Steven and I) would often talked about Martial Arts and the only Martial art he claimed to have studied back then was Karate. So if he did train (being his close friend at the time) I didn't know about it and he certainly didn't talk about it. As far as I knew he learned BJJ after he left the military. So take that for what it is. (From what I've read in other posts this will help you guys establish a time line. And for those that haven't there is no way he could have trained in the states then "while on active duty" trained in Korea because he was already out of the service by then.)

I do remember that myspace mail that was sent to me at that time ties between Steven and I had been cut but I had no reason to bad mouth Steven at the time nor did I know of his claims to be a BJJ BB as far as he told me he was a purple belt.

As you guys say it ultimately is up to Steven to defend himself; I can certainly back up my claims as a martial artist and so should any martial artist. Your lineage is your resume and if you can't back up your claims then you have no right stating them in the first place.

Steven if you read this please clear your name by coming out with all the facts, you were once a close friend and I'd hate to see your named dragged in the dirt if it doesn't have to be.

Posted On:
    2/10/2010 1:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecos View Post
    out of Rusk,(TX)
    http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...s/RR/sbr3.html
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920