Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 10:01pm

Style: Hawaiian Okinawan Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it safe to practice shin kicks with shin splints?

I started running recently and now have shin splints. I was wondering if it was okay to practice roundhouse kicks with my shins even though I have shin splints. I plan on practicing these kicks on my heavy bag btw. Also, is there anything I could do to make my shin splints heal faster? Thanks.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 10:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shin splints are the first step on the path to stress fractures. If you want them to heal faster, keep your weight off of them (it should go without saying that you shouldn't slam them into anything). Ice and ibuprofen may be worth a shot as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 10:33pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I went out for wrestling for the first time, mid way through the year I started getting severe shin splints. They hurt so much that I was considering getting crutches. I ended up having to deal with the shin splints for the remainder of the season. Luckily, the next year, I didn't get them again so I guess my legs were "broken in" from the the first year year.

My wrestling coach recomended doing a lot of caff raises before doing any physical training. It seemed to work for me so you might also consider doing that.

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 2:15am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shin splints= shitty form. Go to a running store and get better shoes for your body type. Change them every six months or so. And stretch every part of your body before and after a run.

Once your body learns how to run, you won't get shin splints any more.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Word.

OP, check the sticky thread, specifically the "running how to" thread created by Cassius.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris