Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 3:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Protecting a cut during training?

So on Saturday, I basically chopped off a finger tip prepping dinner. Not off completely, but deep (felt like it hit bone), and it gave me a nice flap of skin just kind of sitting there... It bled pretty damn bad, and while I was staring at the flap trying to figure out if I should go get stitches, I think I started going into shock (dizzy, sick to my stomach, exploded into sweat) that lasted about a minute or so before it wore off. I probably should have gotten the stitches, but well... I'm just not bothering.

I coated it in Neosporin and bandaged it up. It's opened up on me once or twice since then while it was un-bandaged, but has not been particularly bad (no more shock, yay!)

Anybody know of a good way to protect this for grappling? Gi & no gi. I don't want to miss class. It's not hurting, but at the same time I don't want the bandage to come off and end up spraying a partner with blood. That's just not cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 3:41pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liquid bandage or my poor man's substitute, super glue. It doesn't last forever, but it's a good thing to do underneath bandaging. I self-stitched a similar injury once. I waited about 2 days until the edge of the hanging flap was mostly dead, so it only hurt when I put the needle through the part it was removed from. Use pink thread if you're a white dude, it will be less noticeable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 3:49pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would consider gluing it, then tape the crap out of it. If it's a finger tip injury, I would avoid doing anything with a Gi for a week or two. That will open it up in a hurry hurry.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj/ kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a latex glove over it too. That way if does open theres less blood flyin around.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you've got a serious cut, stay the **** off the mats. it will get reopened, and that will just piss everyone off, and risk infection.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 4:12pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pauli's right. It's like people who come to class coughing their lungs out, sneezing and **** and say "Man...I feel like crap, but I just couldn't skip class."

Well you ain't rolling with me today, that's fer fucking sure. Give yourself a few days off from gi-sparring, I promise you won't forget how to grapple.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 9:31am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ended up sitting out this week :( Was also told there's some staph making the rounds at the gym (nasty bastards... wash your asses!) so going in with this cut would be retarded.

The good news is my coach is letting me put in extra training days with no charge to make up for whatever I miss. Best coach ever.