Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Quick idiot question- is crazy monkey defense the same thing as crazy monkey boxing? They have two different youtube channels...
    Without seeing a link to the crazy monkey boxing channel can't say for sure but my guess is anything called Crazy Monkey Boxing is going to be his stuff also (if you type that in YouTube his older videos come up). The link I put at the top is a dedicated channel that he just created today.
    Last edited by Student; 9/02/2008 11:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 11:31am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    I thought the inner forearm is turned out and pushed slightly away in the old school MT stuff, rather than hunkering down and covering up(I was also under the impression that they pretty much always stood tall, rather than going hunchback)?
    Nah, it truth, the older MT guard had the palms facing one another (thumb towards your face).

Regarding the stance, some MuayThai styles fought tall. others didn't.

The actual guard positions you see in the Crazy Monkey Defense are:

1. Len Muay, which translates to "Playing with your hair". This is where you place the palm on top of your forehead above your eye, with the elbow pointing forwards towards your opponent.

2. Taad Mala, which translates to "Place a flower behind your ear". This is where you place your palm over your ear (fingers curl around onto the back of your neck). Again, the elbow points forwards towards your opponent.

3. Taad Mala Kwai, which translates to "Place a flower behind your opposite ear". This is where you reach across your face and place the back of your hand over your opposite ear, such as the back of your right hand covers your left ear. The elbow is, of course, in front of your face and pointing towards your opponent.

In the video clip linked by the OP, all thats' really being demonstrated is "Len Muay" vs. a straight attack.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 11:36am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Student
    Without seeing a link to the crazy monkey boxing channel can't say for sure but my guess is anything called Crazy Monkey Boxing is going to be his stuff also (if you type that in YouTube his older videos come up). The link I put at the top is a dedicated channel that he just created today.
    Ok, I looked at the other videos, it is the same thing. The other channel is from a poster here at bullshido who put up some of the public domain stuff on youtube. The same guy is in both videos.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 11:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao

1. Len Muay, which translates to "Playing with your hair". This is where you place the palm on top of your forehead above your eye, with the elbow pointing forwards towards your opponent.
    In CM the elbow points more down to the floor when doing the position mentioned above until you are actively deflecting - and then it does move upwards more towards the opponent for a brief moment. Not sure if that is what you meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 11:49am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but from what I've observed, the CM is what I would refer to as a modern, or updated, version of the old Muay Thai guard positions. These positions have to be modified for sport fighting because of the way the sport has evolved. The older blocking positions have all been modified/adapted to varying degrees....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 12:57pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rodney King has just put up some videos from the Crazy Monkey Defense program on YouTube if you are interested in checking it out. Just a small selection to start but he is planning on adding more.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyMonkeyDefense
    Heh, 'bout time. I remember spending a lot of time looking for those videos way back when., so this'll be cool. His videos always were really useful.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 7:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rodney added another 10 videos to his YouTube channel and 6 of these are interviews and he does talk about his background (for those that were asking).

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyMonkeyDefense

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 5:14pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    True, but from what I've observed, the CM is what I would refer to as a modern, or updated, version of the old Muay Thai guard positions.
    It's also pretty much the same as the bare knuckle boxing guard I learnt from my father and the hand discipline taught to me by my first san shou coach (a Malaysian Chinese who grew up among Thai boxers). I suspect it develops anywhere getting punched in the face by a bare/lightly wrapped fist is a common occurrence.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 5:16pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing if I recall.

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 11:50pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenfaust
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing if I recall.
    It's the exact same thing, just put under a different name.

The interviews with Rodney are actually pretty interesting. I liked the 5th one in particular.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast