224635 Bullies, 4194 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I be cutting weight

In a year, I neither put on or lost any weight but my body shape started to change. Within the last 7 months, I've put on 7kg of weight but look better for it. I'm more muscular and a lot less fat.

My waist has gone from 34 to 36-38 and my chest and shoulders has also gained in size.

This is all a by-product of my Jits training and the conditioning that I've been doing for it. None of the weights I do is geared towards increasing size, but instead, increasing strength and endurance.

I'm not weighing in at just over 100kg and want to know your opinions on whether I should try cutting 5kg to get into the next weight category down.

I've been eating well for some time now, 6-8 small meals spread out during the day with most carbs in the morning apart from my PWO drink. Lost of fruit and veg with my evening meal consisting of mostly veg and a source of protein. I hardly drink alcohol at all and only have 1/2 cheat meals a week at the weekend.

The reason I'm asking is because, although I've put on a fair bit of weight, it isn't fat and I don't know what the consequences would be of trying to drop that much. Is it worth trying to lose it or should I just carry on with what I'm doing?

I'm training twice a day at the moment - Gym/running and/or BJJ and don't want to leave myself under-nourished for recovery.

Thoughts much appreciated.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Weak

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 7:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some questions, you can ignore me if you like (I'm 'anti-cutting') :)

Have you plateaud in terms of your performance, results/training etc.?

Is your current regime (workouts, meals, rest) sufficient in terms of recovery, how do you backup the next day?

Do you compete in your current weight class and how do you and your coach/senior belts rate you? Has someone advised you to cut weight and move down a weight class?

Do you feel good at your current weight?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 7:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Lils, here's your answers:

1. No, I haven't plateau'd
    2. It is all sufficient for recovery apart from amount of sleep ( which I'm working on )
    3. Haven't competed yet, these thoughts were in preparation of competing. No-one has suggested cutting
    4. I feel better than ever

I was actually surprised to see i'd put on almost 8kg when I weighed myself because I'm looking the best i have in ages and must be at the lowest BF so far.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 7:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't cut weight if you don't have to.

Do whatever makes you feel at your best, the strongest and healthiest and see how your first comp goes. No need to screw with what's working.

I've seen alot of good fighters get fucked up from cutting weight when there was really no reason to. It can make you much weaker the day of the fight, for one, and I've even seen where a guy went into seizure in the middle of winning a fight and his team said it was because he hadn't eaten anything or drank enough water. You need fuel. Any good coach will tell you not to bother unless you have to in order to make a certain class for a fight.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 8:10am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As

I agree with Lily. Puzzlingly, your reply includes "No-one has suggested cutting" yet your Thread Header explictly asks that question.

Although I admire your belief that your BJJ training has improved your strength etc it's more likely to be your weights and conditioning programme.

If you're going to compete then test yourself now at your current weight and see how that goes. I don't know your age but how does the idea of physical maturity sit with you?

Remember Frankie Gavin. He had held his weight as long as he could yet was withdrawn from the Brit Olympic Team.

(Out of curiousity: how do you know you haven't plateau'd? It's perfectly natural as you "grow" and the body stabilises. I'm being rhetorical now so no answer necessary).

Good Luck.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 8:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody suggested, it was just a thought I had after my eyes popped out while looking at the scales. The weight's only gone on over the last few months so it seems as a direct result of new training regimen.

Regarding training, I don't think I've plateu'd cos I constantly push myself that bit further. I.E. adding another interval into my HIIT or slowly increasing the weight that's being lifted etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 9:06am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    start tracking your bodyfat with calipers if you arent already ... its a good way (the only reliable feasible way to do it that I know of) to tell if you are gaining fat (even if the exact percentage number isnt that accurate).

Obviously I dont know anything about your body composition, but, for myself, I would suspect that a gain in 4 inches on my waist in 7 months would be bodyfat.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 9:08am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cut.

5kg is nothing to cut and if it really is muscle you've gained, it should be even easier now to cut than before.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 9:25am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As

Just a quick thought and I'll shut up, but if you've recently "developed" and replaced fat wth muscle and then built on that, to suddenly seek to "cut" weight might not be your best decision. Dehydration springs to Mind and that way lies disaster.

Be careful.

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 9:48am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you actually measured your body fat %?

That will be extremely relevant to making your decision.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast