1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 6:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer
    Whats better Soy milk or Skim milk?
    If you are a dude, soy is bad. Estrogen/Isoflavins etc.

I know this claim has supposedly been refuted but, meh, real men drink cow milk. Deliciously cool, tall, pints of cows milk. Mmmm.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 6:46pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    If you are a dude, soy is bad. Estrogen/Isoflavins etc.

I know this claim has supposedly been refuted but, meh, real men drink cow milk. Deliciously cool, tall, pints of cows milk. Mmmm.
    THANK GOD I ASKED! I drink skim milk, but I assumed soy was better...Oh I am so happy I asked lol. I mainly focus on stuff I know is high in protein and low in carbs and fats. I eat a lot of eggs, chicken and fish. Yesterday I ate: 3 eggs, lean ham and washed it down with some skim milk and orange juice. Then for lunch, I had peanut putter on wheat bread, some carrots, edinami, a banana and a glass of tea. Then for dinner I had chicken, brown rice, steamed brocoli and tea. I also drink a gallon of water every day. I got this kick ass steamer for Christmas last year. My parents sent me that and a video game, I love the steamer more than the video game.

is badder than you

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 7:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer
    Whats better Soy milk or Skim milk?
    I don't "buy" the estrogen thing, per se, but I found this a while back...

Results:Ingestion of both soy and milk resulted in a positive net protein balance. Analysis of area under the net balance curves indicated an overall greater net balance after milk ingestion (P < 0.05). The fractional synthesis rate in muscle was also greater after milk consumption (0.10 0.01%/h) than after soy consumption (0.07 0.01%/h; P = 0.05).

Conclusions:Milk-based proteins promote muscle protein accretion to a greater extent than do soy-based proteins when consumed after resistance exercise. The consumption of either milk or soy protein with resistance training promotes muscle mass maintenance and gains, but chronic consumption of milk proteins after resistance exercise likely supports a more rapid lean mass accrual.
    -Wilkinson et al., "Consumption of fluid skim milk promotes greater muscle protein accretion after resistance exercise than does consumption of an isonitrogenous and isoenergetic soy-protein beverage"

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Russ. It's nice to see some science on the milk vs soy milk debate (that I've had with my vegan relatives who are always badgering me to choke down their soy milk).

And to you Tuna fans out there. I love tuna too, especially the fatty kind from the sushi bar, but those monsters can be full of mercury - so be careful, especially if you're a pregnant woman.

I go for smoked herring from Germany...green tins from Trader Joes - possibly the best canned fish I've ever had. Also tasty, Norwegian brislings, two layers with olive oil. Generally, go for small, young (short lived) fish for less mercury.
    Last edited by Little Lamb; 9/04/2008 11:37am at .

is badder than you

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb
    And to you Tuna fans out there. I love tuna too, especially the fatty kind from the sushi bar, but those monsters can be full of mercury - so be careful, especially if you're a pregnant woman.
    On the subject of mercury...

Health Canada has identified certain fish as being of more concern when it comes to mercury in fish. Fish can accumulate mercury in their muscles through absorption from the surrounding water but mostly from the prey that they eat. This mercury can also concentrate up the food chain. Therefore, predatory fish that eat lots of other fish for food tend to contain higher levels of mercury.

These include fresh/frozen tuna, shark, swordfish, marlin, orange roughy and escolar
    Canned tuna, especially canned light tuna, is one of the most popular types of fish for many Canadians. The fish used in canned tuna products are generally younger and smaller and have significantly less mercury than fresh or frozen tuna, so that most Canadians don't need to be concerned about consuming canned tuna.

However, for those who consume large amounts of canned albacore tuna, there is some potential for exposure to higher levels of mercury than is considered acceptable.
    (both from Health Canada)

So it looks like canned light tuna is all right. More expensive/fresher tuna is more risky. So much for the "fresh is best" crowd.

Also, on an aside, I'd love to get my hands on everyone who's ever dumped mercury. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the paleodiet stuff I read suggests Coconut milk when you absolutely must have something milk-like. I think it's very low carb and low-GI. Some people think the saturated fat content is bad, but then the paleo books claim it to be the 'right kind' of saturated fat.

I dunno. I just like thai chicken curry with no rice but plenty of fresh veggies a couple of times a week.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 9:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coconut milk, as in USDA NND #12117?

Per 100g: 230kcal/23.84g fat/5.54g carbs (2.2g fiber)/2.29g protein

Because if so, that's not a milk substitute, it's a cream substitute.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234