Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Randy Couture renegotiating with UFC to possibly fight Brock Lesnar??

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/29...couture-update

BloodyElbow.com Exclusive: Randy Couture is Negotiating a Return to the UFC in November to Fight Brock Lesnar

Tiny by Michael Rome on Aug 29, 2008 11:16 PM EDT in News

I've spoken with a lot of people about Randy Couture in the last day. Things are definitely happening.

First, I can say with 100% certainty that there are current negotiations for Randy Couture to return in November to main event, and that the current proposed opponent is Brock Lesnar. They can't get Fedor, too many issues to work out on short notice, and he has a US-only non compete with Affliction.

This will be a new contract, not a return to the old one. It will likely pay him more and give him more benefits, but it will lock him into the UFC for the long term. In exchange for signing it Zuffa would drop all breach of contract charges.

From there, things get hazy. Randy is now training full time as if he is expecting a fight soon, but he still hasn't signed anything as far as I know. As far as the details of the Lesnar fight, I don't know if it's title or non title.

Update: Dave Meltzer is now confirming the story:

A source close to Randy Couture has confirmed today that Couture is in negotiations with UFC for a new three-fight deal which would end the nearly nine month legal battle between the two sides.

If the deal is closed, and the source said they are hoping to conclude negotiations and announce the match sometime within the next week, Couture would face Brock Lesnar on 11/15, most likely in Portland, Oregon.

Couture was said to be hoping that if everything went well, the next two fights could involve Fedor, Nogueira, and/or Chuck Liddell. However, all previous hangups involving Emelianenko and UFC remain.

According to Ariel Helwani at MMA Rated, the UFC is planning to announce this deal on Tuesday if all goes well. He also says the UFC is considering an M-1 proposal to have Randy fight Fedor in his second fight:

Believe it or not, the UFC is also considering a proposal from M-1 Global to co-promote a Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko bout following the Lesnar fight in November. The third proposed fight would be a bout against either current interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira or Chuck Liddell - depending on where both fighters are in their respective careers. However, given the nature of the fight game and the fighters involved, it's hard to predict what will happen that far in advance.

Things are getting very exciting very fast.

Update: Some possible cold water from Dave Meltzer:

Dana White is adamant that nothing is happening right now regarding Randy Couture and UFC, and nothing has been talked about since Tuesday.

I have reason to think he is not being entirely truthful, but who knows. There's a reason every website is hearing this now, and a reason Randy is training full time again. I believe this is an effort to keep the focus on Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell a week from today.

Has anyone actually heard anything about this? I just stumbled upon this while looking at mmscraps.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a weird situation. Isn't Randy still technically the UFC's heavyweight champion? And wouldn't a fight with Lesnar be for the title?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 10:14am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not if in their agreement for a new contract they formally strip Randy of the title.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the straight-to-video "Scorpion King II" isn't doing well in the money-making department :tongue6:

Truth to be told, I'd prefer to see Lesnar fight some other (not top tier) heavy weight.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not if in their agreement for a new contract they formally strip Randy of the title.
    That would make sense, and I hope that's what happens. But being that ol' Dana kept insisting that Randy was the real champ for all these month, it's not necessarily clear cut as to what he's cooking up.

Either way, it's still a weird situation. Nog and Mir are already tied up with TUF 8, and the heavweight division is just so brutally, brutally thin.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 11:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock needs somebody a little bit meatier. I think Neil Wain or Cain Velasquez should be next. Then let him take a shot at Arlovsky.

Knowing Dana, Brocks got another year of sideshow fights before he enters general population. He'll probably have that fight he missed against Mark Coleman, then Dan Severn and Kongo somewhere in the near future.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 9/01/2008 11:33am at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Brock needs somebody a little bit meatier. I think Neil Wain or Cain Velasquez should be next. Then let him take a shot at Arlovsky.
    I don't think the UFC will drop Brock after one more fight.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by drop?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    What do you mean by drop?
    Arlovski fights for Affliction now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 2:27pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow I feel the rumour that UFC would co-promote is simply something Dana's throwing out in negotiaions to butter Randy up.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast