223612 Bullies, 3672 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Which is the worst martial arts show done by Discovery Channel?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 10 martial arts

17 6.23%
  • Xtreme martial arts

65 23.81%
  • History of the martial arts

2 0.73%
  • They all sucked

189 69.23%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 3:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they decide on this stuff by having in-house Mortal Kombat competitions on their Sega Mega Drives. Yes, it does my head in to peddle this BS to mystify the average Joe.

But hey, we get Chris Crudelli, who I want to roll with and see how his chi-power holds up.

Peddling this **** to the masses makes me really mad. It's like me making documentaries on black people, and then saying that all they eat are chicken wings and watermelon.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    There was a good one where the monks in the show were breaking bricks one after another on the floor.

In reality when you slowed the action down it became apparent that they were holding the bricks very close to the ground and were breaking them by hitting the bricks into the stone ground so that the ground would do the work. It's hard to describe, but that's the basic jist of what they were doing.

I can break a thin cement slab by slamming it against a harder surface too.
    This is what weki says about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakin...artial_arts%29

I tried searching www.randi.org as well because I believe he actually had a picture demonstrating how the actual technique regarding using spacers between the bricks/boards actually works in your favor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh... my first post.

Discovery Channel is in the business of making entertainment and marketing towards the masses, not being educators. Yes, they were pretty much all exceptionally weak but I am sure that they got plenty of people who don't know the first thing to tune in and sit through the commercials to the end. That's what they want and what they care about, not being technically correct.

They wouldn't get very much viewership showing an hour of visually unspectacular (yet effective) MA, and they know it. Watching 20 minutes of grappling isn't going to impress or entertain anybody who doesn't already know about it. Would you tune into a WWII show that was 90% about sitting in the mud, bored and hungry? How about a show on cars where they go into detail on suspension geometry, and how a modern Minivan can spank a Musclecar on most any track? What if "24" was all listening to phone calls and watching some random bad guy's house for a week? You get the idea...

It the "Fast and the Furious" of MA, lots of flash and hype with nearly no basis in reality, and guaranteed to make anyone who knows their **** even a little bit wince. But really, who here was expecting something else? And I fully guarantee you that this is what happens with 90% of the shows you watch, but it's only because you have MA knowledge that you realize it about these shows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:42am

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera26
    Discovery Channel is in the business of making entertainment
    And i'm in business too. The Business of giving you the business. And let me tell you, business is good.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera26
    How about a show on cars where they go into detail on suspension geometry, and how a modern Minivan can spank a Musclecar on most any track?
    Actually, that sounds pretty interesting.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've seen Top Gear (a UK show about cars), you may remember a modern Vauxhall Astra diesel tonking 1970's supercars (Ferrari, Lambourghini and something else) around a track.

I regularly outhandle older sports cars along the roads where I live, and I have a Ford Focus. There's just no comparison between old cars and new cars in terms of performance and handling.

Carrera26 is right, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating!
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:12pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see a documentary on the development of Detective work/Forensic sciences into the modern era.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :sad5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    If you've seen Top Gear (a UK show about cars), you may remember a modern Vauxhall Astra diesel tonking 1970's supercars (Ferrari, Lambourghini and something else) around a track.

I regularly outhandle older sports cars along the roads where I live, and I have a Ford Focus. There's just no comparison between old cars and new cars in terms of performance and handling.

Carrera26 is right, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating!
    That's nice... I am the Regional G Stock Autocross Champion (2005) in my Focus, an SVT/ST170. Of course, I stomp modern sportscars too, but just because racing is 90% driver...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 6:09pm

Style: shaolin temple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    There was a good one where the monks in the show were breaking bricks one after another on the floor.

In reality when you slowed the action down it became apparent that they were holding the bricks very close to the ground and were breaking them by hitting the bricks into the stone ground so that the ground would do the work. It's hard to describe, but that's the basic jist of what they were doing.

I can break a thin cement slab by slamming it against a harder surface too.

this is a common stunt- with several variations. You can also use one brick vertically aligned on the ground, take another and lay it flat on top of the ground brick (forming a cross) and break it with a chop or fist- the trick is you lift up the top brick a little with the non chopping hand so when you chop you time it to drop it against the flat brick. Presto.

We have had quite a few of these shows come and do filming with us, to prepare once I was sent out to get the bricks.The guy I was getting the bricks from asked why we wanted them, it was a construction supply company, and I didn't want any bricks from outside- abbot's orders. So anyway the guy finds out what it is for, and he goes, oh, then you want these bricks because they have holes in them and they are easy to break. He says these are the ones he uses in his dojo. I was like, um...no...we don't need any special bricks. But he goes, these are the bricks all the karate guys get. So he goes okay how about these, they are softer..they got wet and aren't dry yet. Anyway this guy was not getting the point but it was interesting to hear him go on about the bricks martial artists use.

there are all kinds of little tricks- I never knew about them until I started seeing some actual impressive skills and was taught the differences. like spear bending in the throat- watch it carefully and usually you see that the one doing the bending is really the one assistant holding the spear.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 9:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by heng fa
    this is a common stunt- with several variations. You can also use one brick vertically aligned on the ground, take another and lay it flat on top of the ground brick (forming a cross) and break it with a chop or fist- the trick is you lift up the top brick a little with the non chopping hand so when you chop you time it to drop it against the flat brick. Presto.

We have had quite a few of these shows come and do filming with us, to prepare once I was sent out to get the bricks.The guy I was getting the bricks from asked why we wanted them, it was a construction supply company, and I didn't want any bricks from outside- abbot's orders. So anyway the guy finds out what it is for, and he goes, oh, then you want these bricks because they have holes in them and they are easy to break. He says these are the ones he uses in his dojo. I was like, um...no...we don't need any special bricks. But he goes, these are the bricks all the karate guys get. So he goes okay how about these, they are softer..they got wet and aren't dry yet. Anyway this guy was not getting the point but it was interesting to hear him go on about the bricks martial artists use.

there are all kinds of little tricks- I never knew about them until I started seeing some actual impressive skills and was taught the differences. like spear bending in the throat- watch it carefully and usually you see that the one doing the bending is really the one assistant holding the spear.
    Let's not forget the spears that have a flatter edge at the point.

Yes, I was boredd someone voted on the poll.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast