Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Anything that works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Steve Morris 65 year old MMA coach

I have relentlessly been reading through his website since coming across it a few months ago and finally had a chance to train with him today. His writings have already changed my approach to training enormously and it was a pleasure meeting and training with him and his guys. He is all about realistic and functional training and his method of teaching tackles all areas of NHB fighting. One of the biggest things that has given me depth in my training is his ephasis on your mindest, somthing I feel many martial artists dont concentrate enough on.
    And he sure as hell doesnt like mcdojos.

Basically im stoked and will definately be seeing him as much as I can.

He has a ton of videos on youtube and IMO his website is a goldmine.

Check him out

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/

http://uk.youtube.com/user/stevemorrisnhb
    Last edited by petervasylenko; 8/31/2008 5:05pm at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his page doesn't work
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's because, true to form, the chunner can't spell.

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can't say anything about his striking from his videos, since i don't train in that aspect, but i didn't see too much ground grappling in his videos, not even escapes, more just "oh the guy is on the ground, punch him in the face" which may or may not be indicative of lack of ground game which is an important part of MMA.

Also, wtf is up with what he's teaching for ground and pound? aren't you supposed to at least keep some semblance of control while you're wailing on the guy? In the video he has the dude doing like a "knee on the ground next to the guys head, and one knee slightly rested on his stomach" position while punching the bag. The guy then ends up just standing up next to the bag with no control and just punching it, and I didn't have audio, but it didn't really seem as if he was being corrected.

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 5:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    i can't say anything about his striking from his videos, since i don't train in that aspect, but i didn't see too much ground grappling in his videos, not even escapes, more just "oh the guy is on the ground, punch him in the face" which may or may not be indicative of lack of ground game which is an important part of MMA.

Also, wtf is up with what he's teaching for ground and pound? aren't you supposed to at least keep some semblance of control while you're wailing on the guy? In the video he has the dude doing like a "knee on the ground next to the guys head, and one knee slightly rested on his stomach" position while punching the bag. The guy then ends up just standing up next to the bag with no control and just punching it, and I didn't have audio, but it didn't really seem as if he was being corrected.
    You might want to read more of his website to better grasp the extent of his training Record and History. It's absolutely extraordinary. I can't imagine too many MAists taking the bold step to travel from UK to Okinawa to train with Gogen Yamaguchi and gain 3rd Dan in Goju ryu Karate, be recalled for 4th Dan but actually grade 5th Dan, return to the UK and bin his certificates. To put this in some context, Karate was heralded as the Ultimate MA in the 1960s to early 1970s (until the Bruce Lee explosion) and the Japanese had a complete lock on its control. Morris went to the source c.1969 and yet within a couple of years having gone from White Belt to 5th Dan and then denounced it as a viable training regime with insufficient practical application and more. That puts him some 30 years ahead of Bullshido and its vie of "Krotty". How's that for foresight and clarity of Thought?

I actually was a fly outside the wall of the seminar he held at SENI this year and it was chock full of reputable MAists.

As an aside, my previous next door neighbour was Floyd Brown, a Full Contact fighter and Champion, who made specific mention of Morris as his trainer-instructor. If only I had known....but I didn't do MA at the Time.

Frankly I would relish the chance to train with him (but travelling from London to Coventry involves over 2hours of travel) and I would only open my mouth to breathe. (And I freely admit he scares me.)

Seriously, read more of his website and the testimonials from Respected Instructors. Sometimes some people can be too quick to criticise just 'cos it seems the thing to do on Bully.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 5:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Anything that works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edited the link.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 6:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright, i mean i just looked at the youtube links and watched the ground and pound video, so i wasn't really criticizing anything, just stating what i saw from the videos. Even you have to admit that there doesn't seem to be many videos on there with grappling, and i thought it was strange how he didn't seem to correct the guy who was just standing there pounding the bag, but then again i didn't have audio.

I didn't see the site earlier since the link was broken, but maybe I'll take a look at it later on when i have a bit of time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 10:38pm

Style: inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He says some really interesting stuff in this vid
    http://uk.YouTube - emergency mindset 10

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading the guy's comments, he's not saying anything that many would disagree with (talking about the posters who've been around TMA for awhile and have found parts of their arts lacking).

Aliveness in training - who can argue with that?

Robotic kata movements - how many here have moved on because they found this to be "filler time", better used for sparring?

Granted - the guy has stepped on a lot of toes in an effort to wake up the MA community.

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 5:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    Reading the guy's comments, he's not saying anything that many would disagree with (talking about the posters who've been around TMA for awhile and have found parts of their arts lacking).

Aliveness in training - who can argue with that?

Robotic kata movements - how many here have moved on because they found this to be "filler time", better used for sparring?

Granted - the guy has stepped on a lot of toes in an effort to wake up the MA community.
    Indeed. Iconclastic.

The thing is that he's not prepared to take things at face value without keeping a question in Mind. In this, he was one of the few not prepared to take a beating from a Japanese just because they thought they could get away with it. He's at one here, as apparently Peter Spanton had a similar way of thinking and John Van Weenan in his autobio writes much the same thing about the Japanese Instructors abusing their UK students in training and in their hospitality.

In another article, Brian Fitkin was looking back and mentioned a contest with the Dutch in the mid-1960s, in which the Dutch were making heavy contact in contravention of the Agreed Rule-set. He included a cameo of Morris (White Belt) meeting a 2nd Dan and kicking him straight in the Groin. Good Lord. That made the Dutch think a bit.

There is much more and the Late Gary Spiers (only ever read about him in MAI etc) was his fellow student in Okinawa and even he seems to have thought Morris' commitment to training was exceptional. There is mention of this in an interview with Terry O'Neill (for Fighting Arts mag he used to edit) on the Goju Ryu Forums.

He does seem wholly extraordinary - then and now - and he could probably start an argument in an empty room. Possibly it's from a sense of Passion to his concept of Fighting rather than "Dancing" or his Celtic temprament (yes, I know something of this) but even so the number of articles he has put on his site do bear repeated reading.

Nick Hughes apparently made a comment about Morris' belief that he (Morris) is always right and this seems to have led to the taking down of the Self Protection Board he contributed to but even so, it's led to his Blog which, for me, is required reading.

Likeable? Possibly not. Knowledgeable? Unquestionably. Practical? Absolutely.

He could have schooled Bruce. Pity it wasn't Morris in the Colesseum instead of Chuck. Bruce would have been carried out, methinks.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast