Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 1:22pm

Style: RBSD, brazilian ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

shoulder taping, ac joint

does anybody have any experience with shoulder taping? i separated my shoulder 6 years ago from a bad fall, 2nd degree i think, i never went a doctor. i'm hardcore that way, also no insurance at the time. well the distal end of my clavical sticks up slightly and slides around the acrominon when i shrug my shoulder.

it really hasnt bothered me until recently, no great pains associated with it but i would like to do something to stabilize the joint a bit more. taping it up looks like it will only work until i start to sweat and then the tape will loosen. are there any kinds of tapes that will continue to adhear to sweaty skin?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 1:47pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't building musculature around the shoulder joint to stabilise it be more appropriate than holding it in place with tape?

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 2:01pm

Style: RBSD, brazilian ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Wouldn't building musculature around the shoulder joint to stabilise it be more appropriate than holding it in place with tape?
    the ac joint is on top of the shoulder, where the distal end of the clavicle and acromion of the scapula join. that's the major problem with this type of injury, there's really no soft tissue to support it, only one ligament and i stretched the **** out of that. i do excercises to strengthen the rotator cuff but that is the ball and socket joint. the ac joint slides laterally when you move your scapula forward and back. because of the separation injury, mine also slides up and down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 5:03pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have the exact same injury from about seven months ago, when i posted out on my arm as i was hip bumped and the clavicle dislocated (AC joint lesion)

taping works wonders, i still have pretty bad pain every day but i dont want surgry and as its a type 2 separation its not recommended anyway

i've been experimenting with various weights routines and my physio tells me that building up the shoulder muscular strength will take some of the strain off the AC and thereby lessen the pain.

taping is the only time i have pain free movement; i cant remember what the tape is called off the top of my head but you do it when you are dry and it stays on for days, hurricane gustav wouldnt shift it once it is on (acrylic tape possibly? not sure)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that they mentioned it during the Olympics. One of the US womens beach volleyball players had her shoulder taped too. I can not remember what they called it either.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found it. It is called Kinesio Tape.

http://www.kinesiotaping.com/