Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 10:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New York Combat Sambo

I don't want to post a review of my own club, but here are some recent testimonials about training with NYCS. For others, please visit our website.

"It is not just throws or locks that define Sambo, but the incorporation of the technical aspects with the principles, strategies and culture of Sambo. Just as one can distinguish BJJ, Judo and Greco-Roman Wrestling, Sambo has its own personality that must be learned in its entirety. I have seen few better examples of this, than training with Stephen Koepfer. He has distinguished himself as an active encyclopedia of Sambo, yet showing the natural innovation that keeps his program relevant in the rapid evolution of Grappling/MMA arts. Training with Stephen is a must for anybody who is serious about Sambo!"
    David Rubin – Portland, Oregon
    Head Coach - Grip Sambo (under Arkady Buzin) in assoc. with IMPACT Jiu Jitsu
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Purple belt (under Wellington “Megaton” Diaz).
    Afaq-Sirat, 1st Degree Black (under Ali Mohammad RIP)

"Mr Koepfer displays a masterful understanding of the dynamic body movements necessary for grappling. Whats most impressive is his ability to relay and teach these skills to others. Complete beginners to the most advanced students have much to learn from Mr. Koepfer."
    Chris Herzog
    Head Judo/Sambo Coach
    Team Empire
    www.teamempire.us

“The real question is “Is the school good?” Yes, hell yes. The main thing that stands out at me is the principle of “going with the flow” and natural body movement. Lots of arts say “we do that,” but this Combat Sambo really seemed to do it well. I was genuinely impressed with the techniques. Lots of leg locks, and cool twisting type moves to counter throws. Lots of the counters involved sacrificing yourself and going with the momentum of the throw/and or twisting your body around the opponent to tie him into knots on the ground. One point that was driven home to me in the class was to not let your opponent have any space standing or on the ground. I really liked hearing the whole idea of thinking of both standing/mat work as one in the same... Stephen showed me how this was true. In the end, I came away very impressed with the school, the students, the teacher, and the art. For anyone in the NYC area interested in Combat Sambo, I recommend the school highly.”
    Sebastian Guerriero
    New York City Judoka
    Last edited by sambosteve; 2/10/2009 11:48pm at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Tap Dancing Christ Steve, it is about time.

Good review and thanks......but weapons? a 4. Do you actually teach people how to use that giant hammer and cycle?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...

Well, I was trying to base it on the fact that we only have one weapons class a week. So, if people wanted to focus only on that, we may not be the right school. Of course for quality, I would rate myself much higher. I did not want to give myself straight A's

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 1:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reilly Bodycomb of NYCS in a San Da bout:
    YouTube - NYCombat Sambo vs Rochester Shaolin

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 8:21am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reilly has some good break dancing moves and heel hooks.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 6:16pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attended NYC Combat Sambo last night, and it was really helpful. The class size was small enough so that the instructor was able to work with all of us, and show us simple techniques that lead to workable tactical solutions. Steve is very knowledgable and is always willing to go over things if you don't understand the maneuver or if you want to ask the hypothetical, "what if...?"

I think everyone should try this at least once if they have the time.

EDIT:

Ok, I've been going here for a few weeks and Steve's school is one of the better places I've been in a while.

There's a consistent group of students that come in during the week, and the regulars as well. Each technique is broken down step by step so you can understand how it gets set up, how it's executed, and what it's supposed to look like in the end. You also get to work with many different people, some of them from out of the country.

The atmosphere is very friendly, and there's really no pressure put on anybody there. And the class size isn't too ridiculous, so if you have a question Steve will help with whatever you need to know.

It's been a while since I've actually been excited to travel to the city a few days a week...it's definitely worth it.
    Last edited by AlphaFoxtrot51; 6/26/2008 1:22am at .
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Starting July, 2008 I will be offering 2 afternoon classes at NYCS.
    Tuesday: 12:30-1:30pm: submission grappling
    Thursday: 12:30-1:30pm: Sambo

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our story in the NY Times
    YouTube - NYTimes.com - The Perfect Throw
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast