Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 7:20am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intercoastal neuralgia

Has anyone had intercoastal nerve damage from doing crunches?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't throw open ended yes/no questions by themselves just like that. Explain your motivation for asking that type of question. Nothing personal, but that's how we expect posters to participate in the PT forums.

What exactly motivates you to ask that question? Have you or someone you know experienced that type of injury? Do you suspect you have or are currently suffering intercostal (not intercoastal) neuralgia? Could you please fill in the details?

Thanks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 12:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I have intercostal neuralgia. I haven't been to a doctor though, but I browsed huge amounts of information on the internet and I'm pretty sure about my diagnosis.. Let's not discuss this any further! Basically the reason I started this thread is already stated in the first post.. I just want to know if someone has had intercostal nerve damage from doing crunches. Because I suspect that this might be the cause in my case. I did crunches the day before the pain started and everywhere I look excessive use of abdominal muscles is mentioned as one of the main causes for this kind of "injury"..
    Last edited by white_flame; 8/31/2008 12:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 12:51pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a doctor.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconded.
    You don't know if your injury is neuralgia or a tear or a strain or whatever.

I tore an intercostal last year, and I have previously had nerve damage in the ribs from repetitive strain caused by bowling (cricket)... the pain's quite similar.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I searched and searched, and I could not find anything that could suggest ab crunches could cause it.

However, intercostal injuries are very common. Don't know about intercostal neuralgias, but certainly you can pull an intercostal muscle. People with asthma or chronic bronchitis can pull one out with a violent cough. I myself strained one while doing, all the fucking things, with a sprint. It took weeks for the inflamation to go down.

I'd go with the others' suggestion to go see a doctor. There is no way to know if it's an strained/pulled intercostal muscle, or if it's indeed neuralgia or some other shitty form of nerve impigment or damage.

Are you taking over-the-counter NSAIDs (ibuprofens)? Have you tried stretching the abdominal and chest wall area?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how the internet has made people think that they are an appropriate substitute for a trained medical professional.

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 2:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anecdotes of personal related experiences, in addition to the recommendation to consult with a trained medical professional, provide meaningful and useful ancillary care in many forms, including (but not limited to) emotional support, informational context of the medical data, socializing, framing the situation, and offering alternative explanations as a way to prepare the individual.

I like how the internet helps with THAT.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    I tore an intercostal last year, and I have previously had nerve damage in the ribs from repetitive strain caused by bowling (cricket)... the pain's quite similar.
    Pace or spin?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 9:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally pace, but I switched to offspin after the injury.
    It was the follow-through of the quicker deliveries that caused the most discomfort.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast