I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pilates Ball for lower back?

So I bought one of those inflated Pilate's ball and have been lying on it - face up, trying to put a curve back into my spine and force my bulging disk back in place.

I was given a cat stretch exercise by a physio to do this and figure the Pilate's ball does it even more.

But I also had an intense grappling day on Tuesday as people are getting ready for an upcoming competition and my back is sore.

My question has anyone else used a Pilate's ball for their lower back?

Good / bad any thoughts?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a link to that product by any chance? One like this?

http://z.hubpages.com/u/206550_f520.jpg

Use that a lot at home - it's pretty good.

For pple with a painful lower back, I recommend instead a a small but soft medicine ball (make sure it's a soft, mushy one and not a hard one), a bit deflated basketball, or a stability disk:

http://www.buckaball.com/prodimages/GFCDISK.jpg

The stability disk is an inflatable disk, much smaller than a pilates ball, but with a flat end that you put on the floor. This takes away the instability of the larger ball (which can be risky at first when you are trying to curve your back on it). So basically, curve your lower spine back in place with a stability disk, then (lightly) on a med ball/basket ball (as well as with a foam roller), and then on the pilates ball.

Come to think of it I like to roll my back (face up) on a smaller medicine ball. I basically move myself back and forth, with the ball rolling under the lenght of my spine. That seems to put **** back into place better than curving my back on the larger ball. I'll see if I can post some pics later today or during the weekend.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 12:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, please do, this sounds like my problem.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconded

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given the range of problems people have with their backs, this may not help but for what its worth:

Iíve got a long term L4/L5 injury complicated by a hip problem and lordosis that comes from sitting at a desk all day. Iíve tried both the cat stretches and the some stability ball stretches but havenít gotten them to work for me. With my particular problem, arching my back backwards tends to aggravate the disc. (But lying on foam roller with my face up and rolling does help).

When the disc is sore Ė I canít do much but rest, ice, and anti-inflamatories.

When my low back is just tight, I need to align my hips, work on my SI joint, abs, and strengthen my posterior chain. Iíve have had a lot more luck with the mobility drills, glute activation work and the foam roller drills recommended by people like Eric Cressey and Mike Boyle. Both have articles at t-nation that are pretty easy to find.

(This is the start of a five part series on common shoulder and back problems for the desk bound that helped me put a lot of things together: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ore_part_i&cr= . My apologies if it has been posted before).

Iím never really free of pain or soreness but twenty minutes a day of these drills allows me to be respectably active otherwise. Again, for what its worth.
    __

On a related note Ė Goju Joe did you ever get an inversion table? Did it help? I seem to remember a post about this a while ago. . .
    Last edited by dumblucky; 8/29/2008 5:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 4:52pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use one to do lower back extentions and also ab crunches and oblique crunches.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Come to think of it I like to roll my back (face up) on a smaller medicine ball. I basically move myself back and forth, with the ball rolling under the lenght of my spine. That seems to put **** back into place better than curving my back on the larger ball. I'll see if I can post some pics later today or during the weekend.
    Hey - have you tried a foam roller - works great for exactly what you describe doing above (and you can roll just about any part of your body).

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use one all the time at work. It's improved my core strength and my low back and hip pains are mostly gone.

For you office drones: fitness ball as chair - No BS Martial Arts
    My Hip HURTZES!!!! - No BS Martial Arts

Balls.
    Last edited by Neildo; 8/29/2008 6:39pm at .
    :new_all_c

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No i didn't get the inversion table :(

That's next on my list, I tried a good one that costs about $400 as a father of three it's hard for me to spend that type of money on myself

My Pilates ball only cost $19

Trying to see if this helps.

I pretty much roll my self back until the top of my head is touching the floor.

The other thing is this seems to make my back ache, although it also feels good to do it.

My Phsyio told me that my sciatica has settled in my foot, but the root problem is in my lower back and doing excercises that cause and ach in that spot means that the right area is being effected.

so I am trying to find out if this has worked for others before or not

is what I have

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i stretch my low back a lot using the ball. it's great for that.
    :new_all_c