Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick fix for hydration is a 50/50 mix of orange juice and water with 1/3 teaspoon of salt per 8-12 fluid ounces. Drink before, during and after training.

Grappler, where do you train?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 1:29pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was always told that by the time you feel thirst, you are already dehydrated. I always drink lots of water during the day, during my workouts and afterwards. Drinking OJ and grapefruit juice seems to help me not be as thirsty. I do like to take a protein shake right after working out to replenish energy and this seems to do the trick.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 1:49am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An hour of intense cardio exercise will easily make you sweat out a liter of fluid (about 33oz). That is fluid that needs to replaced, as well as the aforementioned electrolytes. In fact, sustained exercise is the main type of activity actually meant for Gatorade.

One good suggestion is to buy powdered Gatorade and mix your own semi-diluted version, especially since the powdered version uses the healthier sucrose rather than the budget-minded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).

Macho's recipe for homemade Gatorade is also appropriate.

In combat sports, you're training to make it through fatigue and pain (to a degree). Dehydration is less a concern in a full-contact bout than the aforementioned two issues. While you're admirable in trying to keep up with the intensity of exercise, neglecting your hydration needs can strongly affect the quality of your training, especially if you're too dehydrated/depleted to maintain good quality in your efforts.

You should be drinking enough fluid throughout the day so that your urine is clear or only slightly tinged. It shouldn't look like apple juice or strong lemonade, or that means you're definitely under-hydrated. This fluid can come not only from liquids, but also food. Hell, popcorn is 35% water by volume, to say nothing of fruits, veggies, and meat, which are also high in water content (fact: a 100g (3.5oz) cut of lean beef will have 25g protein, a few grams of fat, and the remainder water). Don't worry about drinking caffeinated beverages to get your fluids in, as the diuretic effect these have on the body is exaggerated compared to the fluid intake from ingestion. However, you may have other nutritional issues if you're choosing to drink coffee, diet sodas, or other drinks of the sort rather than water, fruit smoothies, etc.

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Budo Monkey
    What supplements are you taking before/after workouts?
    I don't take any. I tried supplements a couple times, but they just tasted absolutely disgusting. :eusa_sick However, I'm pretty good at making sure I eat a meal within an hour of a workout with weights. Since my meals always contain a good amount of meat, I think I should be getting enough protein. Am I wrong?

Teh El Macho
    A quick fix for hydration is a 50/50 mix of orange juice and water with 1/3 teaspoon of salt per 8-12 fluid ounces. Drink before, during and after training.
    Got it. Is lemonade, maybe with some salt added, also good?

Grappler, where do you train?
    No offense, but I won't answer that, since I want to stay anonymous.

Judah Maccabee
    Gatorade, huh? So, Gatorade is better than random soda drinks? Alright, thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Grappler; 8/30/2008 3:15am at .

Weak

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TeM and Judah's posts are the ones I'd be taking note of for completeness and accuracy.

I actually don't drink anything but water (and black/green tea) so do suffer from cramps after long workout sessions. I found taking a ZMA supplement helps with that.

Also doesn't anyone drink at night during sleep time? I wake up at least 3-4 times to have a drink (keep a bottle beside your bed).

Weak

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappler, did you read Judah's post properly? He said POWDERED Gatorade, not the premixed drink.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:17am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-liter of unflavored Pedialyte + 1 packet of unsweetened Kool-aid flavoring.

For drinking during exercise, dilute 50/50 with water. Otherwise drink full strength.

Also try coconut water, usually better after workouts than before or during. Reason being the sugar in it is fructose, which can cause gas or bloating for some folks.

I drink ~8 ounces of water right before sleeping. It usually means I have to pee sometime during the night, but I don't wake up with drymouth anymore.

Edit: Second the use of powdered versus liquid Gatorade. I used 1/4 the recommended amount per and it worked fairly well, and had the added advantage of being easy on the wallet.
    Last edited by SunTzu; 8/30/2008 3:21am at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 4:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TEM.. Thanks for that post mate because that will be something I'll drink regularly. Previously its been plain water of some pre-bought bottled drink.

I'm averaging at least 15 miles a week in addition to other military activities often involving carrying anywhere between 55lb-79lb of frigging kit - I sweat a lot !!

--Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 11:26am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grappler
    Hi everyone. I've been training harder than normal lately, doing about 15 hours of training per week. I've also been making a conscious effort not to slack off on any excercises the coaches give me. If it was all BJJ, I think I wouldn't have much of a problem, but it's BJJ/Striking/Conditioning/Weights. When it comes to conditioning, the coaches really go nuts, nobody in the class is fit enough to do all of the excerices without taking water breaks and resting for minutes right in the middle of class, but I've been working on getting through without even stopping. I also stopped taking any rests when doing my circuit training with weights. I just walk from one station to another, no breaks between sets. The results are showing, I'm in pretty good shape and have a lot of energy. I can feel myself getting stronger.
    However, all of this has been causing me to sweat a lot. I drink during class and after class what feels like a liter or two of water, but maybe that's not enough. I'm thirsty often. The fact the temperature is high right now where I live ( northern CA) isn't helping either. My weight flactuates by up to 5 pounds daily, though it doesn't change on average, if evaluated over the course of a few days. For the last three days I've been waking up with my mouth so dry that it hurts. It'd feel better after I gulped down some water or juice.
    Anyone have similar experinces? Advice on how to deal with it?
    Start drinking water an hour before your workout. If you wait until you're thirsty, it's too late. It can take up to an hour for the water in your stomach to get into your system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 11:29am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Is vitamin water any better?

Or that propel crap?
    Something with some electrolytes in it is fine. Don't go with straight Gatorade, it's way too much. What we've been stocking at work that everybody seems to like quite a bit is Cytomax. It's got the stuff you need without too much sugar, etc. I usually drink one Cytomax for every two-three bottles of water. G2 by Gatorade isn't bad, either.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast