Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dehydration

Hi everyone. I've been training harder than normal lately, doing about 15 hours of training per week. I've also been making a conscious effort not to slack off on any excercises the coaches give me. If it was all BJJ, I think I wouldn't have much of a problem, but it's BJJ/Striking/Conditioning/Weights. When it comes to conditioning, the coaches really go nuts, nobody in the class is fit enough to do all of the excerices without taking water breaks and resting for minutes right in the middle of class, but I've been working on getting through without even stopping. I also stopped taking any rests when doing my circuit training with weights. I just walk from one station to another, no breaks between sets. The results are showing, I'm in pretty good shape and have a lot of energy. I can feel myself getting stronger.
    However, all of this has been causing me to sweat a lot. I drink during class and after class what feels like a liter or two of water, but maybe that's not enough. I'm thirsty often. The fact the temperature is high right now where I live ( northern CA) isn't helping either. My weight flactuates by up to 5 pounds daily, though it doesn't change on average, if evaluated over the course of a few days. For the last three days I've been waking up with my mouth so dry that it hurts. It'd feel better after I gulped down some water or juice.
    Anyone have similar experinces? Advice on how to deal with it?
    Last edited by Grappler; 8/29/2008 7:55am at .

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember that water by itself isn't enough. To rehydrate you need things like potassium and other minerals. The experts will know more, though. I guess they'll be here any minute now.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drink Milk
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:15am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Milk is indeed a good suggestion, whole milk unless you are trying to cut fat.

15 hours is a pretty good amount. I usually do about 6-7 hours MA per week, 4-5 weight training.

What supplements are you taking before/after workouts?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Drink Milk
    And if you're allergic? (not just lactosis, but milk protein too like half of my family, myself included)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    And if you're allergic? (not just lactosis, but milk protein too like half of my family, myself included)
    Peanut butter sandwiches+ whey protein with soy milk, or even water. Lots of granola, oatmeal, nuts.

Someone told me that soy products will make you produce estrogen instead of testosterone, but I don't know how realistic that is.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 9:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fill a gallon jug with water in the morning. Carry it everywhere you go during the day. Finish it by the time you sleep.

Don't forget OJ, thirst quencher extraordinaire and high-calorie.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) White space is your friend.

2) Sip on water (or other non-diuretic fluids) throughout the day.

3) Rehydrate during physical activity unless you have a very good reason not to. If I ever had a coach who was stupid enough to deny me water during training, I'd find a new coach.

4a) Milk's great as a drink for during the day, and chocolate milk is a great recovery drink, but I wouldn't use it to rehydrate during physical activity - you can't drink as much of it, the solutes in it make it slower to digest, and although I've got a huge threshold for dairy, I'd still get an upset stomach from drinking milk during free-rolling. You can try it, but I'd be surprised if it helped.
    4b) Whey is a milk product (whey is 20% of milk protein - casein is the other 80%), so be careful supplementing with whey if you're allergic to milk.

5a) hpr is almost correct - when you sweat, you not only sweat out water but salt (sodium). As such, you'll want to restore both your water and sodium levels when rehydrating.
    5b) hpr is also more correct than he knows - a dilute solution of salt, glucose and water will actually be absorbed faster by the large intestine (IIRC) than plain water. This is the logic behind Gatorade, etc. - although (again, IIRC) most sports drinks have higher concentrations of solute than optimal. Try cutting them with water.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is vitamin water any better?

Or that propel crap?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 11:40am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Milk before any cardio intensive activity tends to make me sick.

I tend to have better luck with drinking water throughout the day before hand, then when I am actually training I will take one gulp of water every once in a while.

You don't want to drink too much because it will make you sick.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast