223506 Bullies, 3632 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do I need a new diet?

Hi bullies,
    as some of you may know, in a few days I am going to NewYork to train there, between 3-4 times a day and I am not sure if this training regime requests a new diet.
    Right now I eat what ever is available and don't give much thought about what I am eating, except for McDonalds and such burger stuff (I only eat BurgerKing *G*). I never had any problems but I also never got a blood work or anything to see if I need to fix something. I don't want to "randomly" supplement because most of the stuff your body can't prosess in the type you consume it and hence I would only give my liver and kidneys a hard time.

I was thinking about adding more fruit (mostly apples and bananas, maybe some nuts) and go for a lot of pasta and self made sandwiches with cheese,turkey/chicken, lettuce and maybe some dressing. And some cereal bars (are there any good you can recommend, I have two types here in Germany but AFAIK they are not available in the US)
    I usually drink water and juice but the juice in the US is either super crappy(mainly water with lots of sugar) or super expensive, I will see how I can fix that.

If you gut any any suggestions or other tips what I should watch out for, let me hear it. (If you have any suggestions, it would be great if you could give a short reason why this would be a nice add to my diet)

PS: for those who care, I am about 6'0 tall, weigh between 155 and 160 lbs and according to several electronic scales (I know they are not really reliable) have ~10% body fat. (I don't know if those information help but just want to make sure)
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:19am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post an example of a day's food
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for yesterday it looked something like this:
    Bowl of chocopops with milk (3.5% fat)
    Chocolate pudding (250g)
    1,5 cherry danish and some cake
    150g fish with some italian tomato something sauce
    250g gummi bears
    100g chips
    1l apple juice and 1l ginger ale

As I said, I don't care what I eat and it varies a lot. Some days I eat "right" and most days I just eat :D

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the nutrition sticky here: The PizDoff diet thread - No BS Martial Arts

One thing that really sticks out that i think may be appropriate for you:

Cheat Meals
    Cheat meals, or 'unhealthies' are generally fine. But not too often, at most a couple times a week. 'Unhealthies' includes carbonated beverages (pop), candy, junk food, 95% of McDonald's foods, amazingly fatty Burger King fries, fries in general, anything soaked in saturated fat. Careful with pizza, microwave dinners and instant foods, their higher levels of sodium need to be balanced out by drinking more water.

If that is a regular day's eating for you then it would seem that you don't eat anywhere near enough. How often do you train and what is the intensity like?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 6:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well when I train I eat more (I add 450g of pasta with different sauce, chees etc. and one or two fruits, apple or banana) and even than I am hungry after 30min of training. (I have two cerial bars about 45 min before training in order to avoid getting hungry during training, it helps some what) And I add some kind of "late night snack" deppending on what is available, this can range from some brown bread with cheese and salami over 2 or 3 ice cream sandwiches to a pizza or some 2-3 egg roles (85g each)

I train between 2 and 3.5h (depending on what style I train) and about 4 times a week (not that much lately due to summer break for the kids and hence my schools have cut down to 2 days a week, unfortunately on the same days).

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:00am

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be misunderstanding you but if your training regime will be 3-4 times a day you need to look at a lot of stuff-Much too much for me to comment in detail on here but here is some stuff in my opinion you need to think about.

1) Your carbs are way too low for that level of exercise-You will run out of juice and will wind up getting cravings for quick fix sugars and by the looks of things start eating candy.-Buy complex Carb powder to make drinks with. Don't get any with stuff like Guarano etc in-U just want straight Carbs for fuel. If you don't do this you will burn muscle tissue away as your body will eat that instead.

2)Rotation of training types/Rest periods. If you don't give your body rest time you will get worse not better-It is your rest periods in which your body builds on your training

3)Injury care- You need to train very carefully-If you are training that hard injuries are likely and training on an injury slows it's healing(ligaments on fingers etc can take months)

4)Don't stick to any regime for too long-Keep shocking your body with different exercises and vary your training partners.

5)In all honesty I think you are biting off more than you can chew. If you really want to do this get a qualified personal trainer who can supervise your diet and training.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He said 3-4 times a week, not day ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:08am

Style: Kempo Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    Hi bullies,
    as some of you may know, in a few days I am going to NewYork to train there, between 3-4 times a day and I am not sure if this training regime requests a new diet.

...Uhm nope it really was per day. I am hoping for his sake it was a typo.

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh **** sorry, I was looking at his post following mine:

"I train between 2 and 3.5h (depending on what style I train) and about 4 times a week"

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 7:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, right now I train 4 times a week but I am about to train 3 times a day in NewYork

For the issues of overtraining/rest periods and injury I already discussed that (not in full detail though) in my thread here ... http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=72702&page=8 (middle of the page)

So you are both "right"

On the carb powder, I never did anything like this before, so I am a bit inexperienced ... As I said, nutrition was never an issue before for me. I would be really thankfull if you could elaborate on that (in addition I will read the stickies and see what I can find in a few other forums on nutrition)

Schools I trained at:
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast