Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The global economy

Seen a number of threads lately on monetary issues, economic issues etc.... IMHO, I wonder how many realize the emerging global economies mean dramatic changes especially for American's. Economics says unlimited wants with limited resources... As third world countries develop and come more on line, we here in America must realize this means fewer resources to go around... our standard of living will decrease as their standard of living increases...It almost a law of nature. But it OK you just have to adjust to the change and make your self more productive and able to deal with what you have...You need to develop a skill that people are willing to pay you to use. The better you develop the skill the more money you will get as a result.... So, your situation is still yours to control.... Everything is up to you. Make the best of your opportunities and chose wisely.... Why am I posting this... don't know for sure just seemed like something to do....
    Last edited by Justme; 12/11/2003 1:30pm at .

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 1:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and this gives me as many threads started as Wastrel.... *applause*.... Thank you

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Economics says unlimited wants with limited resources... As third world countries develop and come more on line, we here in America must realize this means fewer resources to go around... I standard of living will decrease as their standard of living increases...It almost a law of nature
    Um...This is not correct.

One example:

First of all, LDCs are overwhelmingly countries with agricultural and textiles products as their priniple industries.

If the US finds a way to stop protecting domestic producers from foreign competition, LDC exports could lower prices on produce and textiles.

That's a good thing. The problem is that American producers bear a heavier burden of regulation that makes their operations more expensive. So until we can deal with that imbalance, American farmers have a disadvantage vis a vis the global South.

Lower prices on primary goods means lower prices on everything. Development in Chile could mean more demand for American products, which brings money into our country.

Development is good for everyone.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 1:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Economically it is correct.... And I am not saying development is bad.... It is good. You are correct about uninfluences from government regulation where ever it exists... OK, I should say base economics... laws of supply and demand does indicate limited resources....

"That's a good thing. The problem is that American producers bear a heavier burden of regulation that makes their operations more expensive. So until we can deal with that imbalance, American farmers have a disadvantage vis a vis the global South."

True. The economic condition should be a level playing field with sensible regards for the environment, and working conditions for employee's and a like....

I am just saying we will have to learn to live in a global market with less national influence....

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less national influence? Yes. That's different. But development won't produce scarcity.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure it will. Eventually. As more countries come up to par the raw materials to supply them with what they want will overlap more and more. That will breed scarcity. Actually to avoid intense problems technology allow more efficient use comes into play. This is going to get complicated but is a good valid discussion.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Productivity. And you're talking about post-development problems. Some of these countries don't have enough to eat now. It's not going to get worse for them as they develop.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not explaining myself. Your right it is going to get better. Ours is going to get worse. I am not talking about the collapse of US economy no. I am saying we will be required to share more. It is not a bad thing. Ya know what is terrible. IMHO, the U.S. could feed the entire world if it weren't for political and idealogical difference both others and our own. We have that capacity.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a hard time believeing that regulation will be diminished without some sort of coup. My question is would the U.S. founding fathers be upset? Did they in fact delare their independence from England for less governmental intrusion?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 4:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Justme, you are assuming its a zero-sum game. Its not.

We can increase the size of the pie you know. Its not only possible, its probable the world will make enough food, give everyone internet/TV/entertainment/blah, and have raw resources for electronics or metal or whatever. There will also probalby not be a shortage of concrete.

Silicon is abundant on Earth, and if we run short on metals we could drag an asteroid here and use "re-entry smelting" to keep costs down even.

Okay, so that was a lame attempt at a geek joke.

Anyway, its not a zero-sum game, the pie can grow bigger, but oil will run out some day. Lets just hope we get artificial chemical fuel or some kind of good electric car.

P.S. Something I've wondered is why not use the propane tank exchange idea with batteries if we bitch about recharge times? Just have a big ass beehive like thing instead of gastations that charge up batteries... you drop off a used, pick up a fresh one. Have it ala carte. A sports car could have an extra battery even or something.... keep the power standardized just like it is with gas now.
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast