Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Free Style Striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique Me SB

My training background consist of TKD, Goju-Ryu, Goshin-Ryu/Kickboxing, and Boxing.

I have not been in a gym or a Dojo in about a year and have just been training out of love and to keep myself in shape till I move and I will resume my proper training.

My skills in my feet surpass those in my hands - so please mind that when watching the video.

I also apologize for the awkward angles, I was trying to face the camera while looking into the mirror.

I felt VERY off and sloppy today especially in my uppercuts and hooks (felt stiff) - I'll post a video another day and hopefully I'll be more on.

YouTube - Shadow Boxing 1 (8.27.08)

YouTube - Shadow Boxing 2 (8.27.08)

and btw before people give me **** about it, NO that is not my bedroom. It is just a room with a full sized mirror that I use for SB - This is my homemade training center.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1219890934

That is my light bag hanging - I also have an 85LB Everlast Bag and a Ringside Uppercut Bag. Oh and that gay lil trampoline is my step-moms - fat bitch thought she could loose some weight.
    Last edited by Randomxman; 8/28/2008 10:39am at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at the first two
    good speed
    what punches thrown looked ok for form, but I'd
    add dif strikes, like hooks and try repeat combos to get "muscle memory."

flank more - well picture dif types of opponents, dif attacks, strikes; so blocking going in + backing up and adding strikes.

And, relax your shoulders

There's The Boxing Manual somewhere on this site...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 10:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 10:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An Amateur Boxing Manual - No BS Martial Arts is part of what I was looking for on boxing... There's an older manual that is good, somewhere, but it's off to work work work
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/28/2008 11:06am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 11:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Looking at the first two
    good speed
    what punches thrown looked ok for form, but I'd
    add dif strikes, like hooks and try repeat combos to get "muscle memory."

flank more - well picture dif types of opponents, dif attacks, strikes; so blocking going in + backing up and adding strikes.

And, relax your shoulders

There's The Boxing Manual somewhere on this site...
    Thanks You - Ya I felt pretty awkward with my hooks that day so I chose not to throw them to avoid looking stupid.

My defense and head movement has always sucked even when I was under instruction.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that when you're shadow boxing, you're not just doing it to throw some punches. You're supposed to try and simulate an actual fight, pretend there is really another person there attacking and defending and moving around. You want to keep realistic strategy in mind and move around like you're actually trying to accomplish something.

As for your technique, you really need to try and relax. Keep your shoulders and arms loose. You also seem to only be throwing the punch for about half the extension and then just letting your hands fly the rest of the way. You want to fully extend those punches or you're really going to be cutting off a lot of the power potential.

Keep your elbows more tucked in closer to your body. Your elbows are sticking out when you punch and it really disconnects your punches from your body, effectively causing you to throw more arm punches. This looks like especially a problem for your hooks. You want to try and keep your elbows pointed down at all times. Every time you throw a hook your elbow is pointing straight out and it's making your hooks slow, awkward and easily readable.

You're turning your body, but you're still not getting your body behind your punches very much. This seems to be largely due to the problems with your stance and your body is just a bit out of sync with your punches. You want to make sure your punches feel like they're connected to your whole body from your shoulders to your hips to the balls of your feet. Everything must move together, otherwise you're turning your body for nothing.

You're also holding your fists directly in front of your face it looks like and your stance is a little wonky. You should try pointing your lead shoulder more towards your target with your lead hand just out front and your rear hand close to your jaw. This way you're in a better position to defend and you're in the perfect position for cleanly launching punches.

It's good to shadow box in the mirror so you can see what's going on, but don't turn your head away from your target to look at the mirror. This is a bad habit. I actually am terrible about looking at things other than my opponent when I'm in the ring and I pay for it. You have to stay focused on your target. When using the mirror, act like your reflection is your opponent. When turning away from the mirror, stay focused on your target rather than looking over your shoulder at the mirror. This is also really throwing off your technique.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 8/28/2008 12:42pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 1:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank You, this is exactly what I am looking for. Things were a little more akward than usual because I was trying to Shadow Box in the mirror and face the camera at the same time, I think I confused myself lol.

Usually I SB like I am in a fight - I was just trying to throw hands for this session.

Anything I was doing good lol?

The Things My Trainers Always used to yell at me for is the same things:

1. Not Moving My Head

2. My elbows always being wide on pucnhes

3. My Cardio

I am trying to tune up everything before I join another gym (when I move) - I have been running about 2.5 Miles Everyday for my cardio and just trying to improve and force myself to change the things I've always been to stubborn to do.
    Last edited by Randomxman; 8/28/2008 1:48pm at .

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 1:09am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres a big tip for you, if your trainer is not happy with your cardio then jogging 2.5 miles won't really help it. Hitting pads is a different form of cardio, you can work on this by doing interval sprint training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 9:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Heres a big tip for you, if your trainer is not happy with your cardio then jogging 2.5 miles won't really help it. Hitting pads is a different form of cardio, you can work on this by doing interval sprint training.
    I am aware of the Aerobic and Anaerobic debate.

Yes, I am also doing sprints, hill running, and Ross Style Training

I find both methods of cardio valuable - aerobic plays a big factor in recovery.