Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 8:30am

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    Before my last few fights, I'd watch a few Ippo episodes and do some tibetan breathing techniques before heading off to practice.

It's quite an inspiring feeling to realize that it is you, who are the character so many aspire to be. It also made going up to the ring a lot less nerve racking than before. I'd actually savor the few moments, looking around, seeing the stands. Looking at that ring as my stage and the lights above for me.

Also, don't worry about perfecting your skill or anything. You should plan on boxing for atleast a few years, try to get as much right as you can, but don't expect to be an expert practitioner in a few months.
    I want to box for a while. My goal is to be able to execute nice punches to my sparing buddy, Cash (named after Cassius Clay and that is no joke).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 11:36am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto
    I want to box for a while. My goal is to be able to execute nice punches to my sparing buddy, Cash (named after Cassius Clay and that is no joke).
    Make sure you have a variety of sparring partners. One partner will condem you to many bad habits. You'll get set in a single pace, one agreeable to both of you. You will get away with many things repeatedly that Cash will allow, but someone else will crack you with. You need to have someone that will pressure you, others that will box you, lefties/righties, short/tall, FAST people, which can be someone who is smaller than you but they've been at it awhile. Usually the smaller people would give me more trouble than someone that outweighed me by 30 pounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 7:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday I met Coach McGill for the first time. He had been away on hiatus due to his job. Jame Mathias, the grappling coach, had been filling in. Coach asked me what I wanted from boxing firstoff. I explained I wanted to lose weight and learn how to box. Coach then asked me to get onto the ring to show him where I was at in my boxing.

The first thing Coach did was to adjust myself in a 45 degree angle and tuck my chin down. He also corrected me on his I positioned my gloves with elbows in so I could defend without blocking my eyesight. Then I had to move to and fro a couple of inches with the footwork. LOL I put too much spring in my step at first, but coach was quick to point that out. After that Coach taught me a defense by opening up my glove to catch a punch and a side defense he likened to a salute.

Later on in class I had to spar two 60 second rounds against two sparring partners. With the first guy Coach told me not to hit, but to defend myself. I managed to defend myself much better than before, but coach made quick to point out things. The next round I went against Cassius, the southpaw I sparred with last week. I still had to defend, but Coach told me I could throw in a jab. I did defend against Cash better, though that sucker is fast! I did take a hook to my headgear again and a hard one, but it only shook me. Cash even asked if I was allright and I told him yes. I kept in on him the remainder of the round.

Coach said he liked I was tough. He said he used to be wary of female boxers until he saw some of them fight over the years. He thought them to be some of the most dedicated boxers.

However, any training I did before is just a walk int he park compared to what I have to do now. Coach McGill wants to condition me to lose weight. I have a feeling it won't be pretty, but it's all necessary. I won't kill myself, but I will have to work my way up. I also have to start walking briskly for an hour six days a week (if I can) and eventually work up to running that much. Coach wants my heart rate up.

Lastly, he wants me to focus more on boxing than grappling and then gradually work my way back into the other full-time because going right into the other he said might temporarily stunt my boxing training.
    Last edited by Karritto; 9/03/2008 9:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 1:03pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you got a good gym.

I was trained by a woman, so sparring women happened from time to time. I took a few good whoopins from a couple of girls who trained from a young age. Don't let anyone tell you girls can't fight. Anyone with training can fight. Most without can't, even though most every guy will tell you he's the baddest man in the state.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    Sounds like you got a good gym.

I was trained by a woman, so sparring women happened from time to time. I took a few good whoopins from a couple of girls who trained from a young age. Don't let anyone tell you girls can't fight. Anyone with training can fight. Most without can't, even though most every guy will tell you he's the baddest man in the state.
    Coach was surprised I didn't back down when I got hit. Some people do. But I anticipated boxing you're going to get hit and I can take it. Also, I am about to go on vacation and coach wants me to walk/run, jump rope and shadowbox with weights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2008 7:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sore right now and it feels great. I managed to keep the weight off over my vacation and had no trouble getting back into boxing. I also have some news. I lost 5 lbs! That might be small, but for me it's not. It is giving me the idea that I am doing things right and now just 55 more to go. But to help myself out further I am eating smaller meals and limiting my sweets. You don't want to cut them out altogether.

Coach is working me very hard. Moreso than the youth boxers and with good reason. He thinks I have potential for boxing because I have the drive to keep going and put a lot of power into my punches. One thing karate taught me is you have to incorporate power with your entire body.

Another thing I am doing is adding two classes to my conditioning. There is a female instructor at my gym that teaches belly dancing and pilates and I decided to enroll. The belly dancing will be perfect for a part of my cardio and the pilates will help me make my muscles strong and flexible. I was reading in a book by Floyd Patterson that a boxer wants to keep his/her muscles lean and flexible to prevent loss in speed. I agree with that. I did consider on putting in some strength training, and the way we women are designed we won't look like Arnold unless we take hormones (Though some of those veiny muscle guys don't look all that great neither).

Expect more blogs about my progress soon!

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/18/2008 9:39am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is this Floyd Patterson book? I'd like to get some materials from him.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2008 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The International Boxing Hall of Fame's Basic Boxing Skills by Floyd Patterson & Bert Randolph Sugar. I really liked this book because Mr. Patterson is very informative and I was impressed by his sportsmanship.

http://www.amazon.com/International-...1759867&sr=1-2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This week I spared against a taller (and faster) person. I went for three two-minute rounds of trying to get that guy who was shuffling, bobbing & weaving. I did get some hits, but Jamie (his name) made me work for it. After those rounds I was a little worn out. Jamie's going to spar with me weekly too.

This week I started wearing a nylon sweatsuit to the gym. Some of the kids asked me about it. The idea is added weight + sweating. Coach approved so I'm good. He's also proud of my progress.

The biggest highlight is I lost 10 pounds. I weighed about 200 when I joined the gym in August and now I weigh 190. Fifty more pounds to burn and I'm giving it a year. That's fine because coach said he wants to train me for a year before I register with USA Boxing. At least I have a goal.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know, if you become a supporting member, you can have a proper training log in the training log forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast