Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 9:50am

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing - Report

I am three weeks into boxing and mma classes. This has probably been my toughest weeks and the best lesson. I am starting to break my karate habits in class and am able to catch myself. But I also learned I need to start working on perfecting my technique. I fell into the trap of worrying to get my opponents into submission and hits in the ring. This proved to be a big mistake.

For example, I sparred in the ring for the second time yesterday with a southpaw. I completely forgot about executing proper combos and just started brawling punches and regretted it when I took a nice hit to my left cheek. It was a sobering experience with my realization that by forgetting the technique where you need it the most opened me up for punishment. But it was a good lesson.

And then in MMA I struggled as well, but I have started to improve because I started focusing on my position because without it you cannot execute a proper submission.

With boxing I am going to practice becoming a technical fighter so I can be better prepared the next time I have to get in the ring. Several guys in my classes were great about giving me pointers. I don't feel so bad right now. My sparring partner is a seasoned boxer and it was a good learning experience getting hit. Now I know what I want to work on avoiding and I'm not quitting. I'm determined to turn myself into a boxer.

Next week I am going to come in a little early for bagwork-especially combination and training myself not to use tension so my punches can become swift and fluid. Kean McGill, the normal boxing coach will be returning (I have yet to meet him). I plan on asking him if he could spend a little more time with me to help me develop technique.

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 10:29am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been a little harder on myself than I should, but I am determined to become a boxer. It's only been three weeks since I started and patience is what I need. It's not a race. I just need to heed what coach tells me and push forward.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 11:17am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's hope that attitude stays with you. Good Luck.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will. I'm generally willing to listen to instructors and wanting to do better. And I enjoy boxing even though I make mistakes.

For the rest of this week I'm going to relax and psyche myself up. Please don't laugh, but I find my Ashita no Joe OST helps. The music is from a boxing anime, but the music has a lot of energy to it for me. Much like Rocky's OST might for some.
    Last edited by Karritto; 8/28/2008 11:37am at .

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 2:18am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck breaking those karate habits, it is seriously **** that 3+ years of a martial art can actually negatively impact your ability to fight. The errors i have from my karate days are:

1) point sparring, once i score a nice hit i don't have that killer instinct everyone else has to finish them, i stand there a second without capitalising on the opening.
    2) karate bouncing on the feet
    3) dropping hands.
    4) kicking with the foot, nursing a possibly broken foot from this at the moment.

Best of luck with your goals!

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 5:16am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing to fret about re the Music, most train to given tunes to motivate or drive them along especially if it involves high Beats Per Minute or to evoke an Emotional Arousal state to give of their best (it promotes appropriate Aggression).

Ricky Hatton listens to Oasis in the Dressing Room just before he exits to head for the Ring. To digress for a moment, it's no accident that the Military march to Martial Music (sorry for the alliteration) and Irish and Scottish Regiments would invoke the War Pipes to stir the troops entering the battle; it's primeval.

Another benefit of music is to encourage a sense of rhythm: watch a skilled boxer practising Shadow Boxing to get the idea of the flow of movement; the move from Defence to Offense; the Evasion and Countering. Also notice the Footwork. The sense of rhythm will hopefully also inform your rope jumping. Check old film or video of Sugar Ray Robinson, Randy Turpin, Roberto Duran and be amazed.

You're also right about the Technical Spar; the structured approach in which you learn as opposed to the Brawl, where you learn nothing. The term you may hear boxers use in this re their Sparring opponents is to "move him/her around" the Ring.

To quote Bruce Lee: "A punch in the mouth, is a punch in the mouth". Agreed.

Keep going and you'll scare us all.

Best Wishes

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:09am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto
    I have been a little harder on myself than I should, but I am determined to become a boxer. It's only been three weeks since I started and patience is what I need. It's not a race. I just need to heed what coach tells me and push forward.
    When I read this, I knew you liked anime. Sounds like something straight out of Hajime No Ippo.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2008 8:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson
    When I read this, I knew you liked anime. Sounds like something straight out of Hajime No Ippo.
    Well, I can identify with Ippo in the respect that I used to be a target for being picked on in school. But the truth is I love martial arts as well. It helped me become confident in myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 11:25am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before my last few fights, I'd watch a few Ippo episodes and do some tibetan breathing techniques before heading off to practice.

It's quite an inspiring feeling to realize that it is you, who are the character so many aspire to be. It also made going up to the ring a lot less nerve racking than before. I'd actually savor the few moments, looking around, seeing the stands. Looking at that ring as my stage and the lights above for me.

Also, don't worry about perfecting your skill or anything. You should plan on boxing for atleast a few years, try to get as much right as you can, but don't expect to be an expert practitioner in a few months.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast