Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:16pm

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate/Boxing

I really enjoy learning how to box. My sensei is fine with it, but he wants me to make sure it doesn't effect my karate negatively. I have been in karate for quite some time so I'm not just jumping into two martial arts at once. So far I do not see it as a problem and I have been incorporating my karate techniques into my warm-up exercises and the boxing seems to have helped me become more offensive and a harder puncher.

However, is there any advice for me so I can make sure the two don't inhibit the other?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:20pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully your boxing training wont destroy your sensei's facade. What harm could boxing do? You train alive and you hit things. Will it make you actually hit things in karate instead of air?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fortunately I only see the conditioning with boxing as a good thing. It'll make me a tough 'ol gal and boxing is so beneficial for punching anyway.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 8:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the version of Karate you do is a useful one (Kyokushin, Enshin, Kudo and very few others), then there is no problem: those types do a lot of hard fighting and not a lot of hitting air (unlike other variations). Boxing and those useful styles of Karate would complement each other nicely (except maybe Kudo--formerly known as Daido-Juku--where flying headbutts and judo-type throws are common choices from the clinch...might get you in trouble in the Boxing ring.

If the type of Karate you do is a (far-more-common, unfortunately) robotics-and-hitting-air style, then you have even more reason to stick with the Boxing: to actually get some realistic standup.
    If your Karate is the air-hit-and-robotics variety, consider dropping it and complement your Boxing with something like Judo. Boxing and Judo are an awesome combination.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:06pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should pop your Karate instructor with a 1-3-2 and put em out of his misery.

jk, have fun trying to mix em up. I'd like to have a few hop socky ninja kicks to throw into the mix if I could.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    If the version of Karate you do is a useful one (Kyokushin, Enshin, Kudo and very few others), then there is no problem: those types do a lot of hard fighting and not a lot of hitting air (unlike other variations). Boxing and those useful styles of Karate would complement each other nicely (except maybe Kudo--formerly known as Daido-Juku--where flying headbutts and judo-type throws are common choices from the clinch...might get you in trouble in the Boxing ring.

If the type of Karate you do is a (far-more-common, unfortunately) robotics-and-hitting-air style, then you have even more reason to stick with the Boxing: to actually get some realistic standup.
    If your Karate is the air-hit-and-robotics variety, consider dropping it and complement your Boxing with something like Judo. Boxing and Judo are an awesome combination.
    My karate style is Shuri-ryu.

*From Wikipedia*

In addition to the punches, blocks, and kicks of karate, Shuri-ryu also incorporates joint locks, take-downs and throws, and kobudo (traditional weapons). Several senior sensei also hold high ranks in jujitsu and judo. Shuri-ryu also has several short combinations. These include: 26 ippons (ippon kumite kata), which are performed to develop form and power; 10 taezus (taezu naru waza) which are performed to develop speed and fluidity; 30 kihons which are performed to develop fighting technique; 8 sen-te motions; and 7 kogeki-ho to develop attacking and retreating.In addition, there are additional training exercises including form sparring (kata kumite), focus stance sparring (kime dachi kumite), free exercise (jiju undo), and free sparring (jiju kumite). One identifying feature of Shuri-ryu is the use of the Shuri fist, in lieu of a standard fist.

Instead of curling the index finger when making the fist, the upper half of the index finger is laid flat against the palm, with the thumb curled around the index finger and pushing down between the first and second joints, resulting in a tighter fist and better alignment of the ulna and radius bones with the first two knuckles of the fist. Another feature of Shuri-ryu is the position of the thumb of the knife hand strike or block. The thumb and forefinger form a "j" so that the hand may be used in a variety of techniques (ridgehand, spearhand, open-hand throat strikes, etc.) without changing the thumb position.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's your solution: Quit karate.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better yet: quit boxing and go directly to MMA.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 9/14/2008 9:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Here's your solution: Quit karate.
    My school's been good to me and I want to stay until I at least make my first black belt. I'm a third degree brown right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Better yet: quit boxing and go directly to MMA.
    I really like boxing, although my gym also teaches MMA. It's interesting though. One of the instructors is trained in Brazilian jujitsu.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast