Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 12:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Walking or why I don't like weights

"Of all medicines, exercise is the best and of all exercises, walking is the best"
    Ben Franklin, futurist, Founding Father and academic. Was apparently 93 at death in a short-lived age and advocated an early form of suspended animation.

Advantages walking has over weight lifting:

We are made to walk. It will repair or grow neural connections very fast due to brain plasticity. It burns fat as well. If you have a dog, take them along. Tens of thousands of years of evolution means the dog enjoys walking too.

Weights are boring, reps are boring and when your coach turns out to be a dick no amount of prospective glory looks as good as hitting him with a dumbell would feel.

Fat burning is aided by walking, regardless of build.

You meet interesting people on walks and become better at navigating and the lay of the land. In gyms, you wander around avoiding shortarse muscleheads and preening women.

Walking even in less than ideal circumstances takes you away from weirdoes, at least for a few hours. Gyms are full of them.

Walking is free. Gyms have memberships.

Walking trips are ideal for improvised crappling matches and running races. Doing so in a gym will get you thrown out.

etc.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 1:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, sir. You've just freed the legions of athelets bound by the gym and their evil weights. Please, tell us more of this "walking" of which you speak.

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 1:14am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Ben Franklin had the internet he'd been dead by 30

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I also have found that walking builds more muscle, burns more fat, and builds more functional strength than traditional weightlifting exercises like squats.

Another overlooked exercise that I have recently made excellent gains with is hand clapping. The parallel motion really works your brachioradialis. Now whenever I am excited, impressed, or even mildly annoyed by the things I see on the internet I clap my hands. This way I get in a workout that I wouldn't get with my general response of disaffected sarcasm, which just leaves me feeling empty.

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 4:19am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely functional strength is important and walking helps build only functional strength, not like stupid weights which also build non functional strength.
    Last edited by honesty; 8/28/2008 7:23am at .

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 5:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This "walking" of which I speak also comes under the moniker "perambulation" and involves the alternating of one leg in front of the other. It can also be termed "ascent" when going up an incline and "descent" when going down a decline.

If the alternation of legs goes past a certain speed it is termed "running" which is divided into "sprinting" and "long distance"
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 5:42am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toby,

WTF aren't you wheelchair bound?

Honesty,

What are "stupid weights" and why do they build "none functional" strength?

The world in general,

This thread makes baby Jebus cry.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 6:05am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fix your Sarcastometer dude
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Weak

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TeM and Emevas are going to drop a barbell on your head for this stupid thread and your lack of facts.
    [QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Christensen
    "Of all medicines, exercise is the best and of all exercises, walking is the best"
    Ben Franklin, futurist, Founding Father and academic. Was apparently 93 at death in a short-lived age and advocated an early form of suspended animation.
    Google 'quotes about walking' and you get a bunch of sunshine.

Advantages walking has over weight lifting:

We are made to walk. It will repair or grow neural connections very fast due to brain plasticity. It burns fat as well. If you have a dog, take them along. Tens of thousands of years of evolution means the dog enjoys walking too.
    Too much crap to cut to pieces.

Weights are boring, reps are boring and when your coach turns out to be a dick no amount of prospective glory looks as good as hitting him with a dumbell would feel.
    'Boring' in Toby's language means he can't do jump squats because of his wheelchair. Nothing is boring if you have a purpose, a positive mindframe and the legs to carry yourself with. You can me quote me on that one.

Fat burning is aided by walking, regardless of build.
    Oh and weighlifting doesn't aid fat burning? You moron.

You meet interesting people on walks and become better at navigating and the lay of the land. In gyms, you wander around avoiding shortarse muscleheads and preening women.
    Interesting people? Can you imagine Toby wheeling up to you on his walk and starting a rant? Navigating is for pussies, get a GPS on your wheelchair. As to the 'lay' of the land, that's as close as you'll get to losing your virginity.

Walking even in less than ideal circumstances takes you away from weirdoes, at least for a few hours. Gyms are full of them.
    I'm sorry (truly) that people have refused you gym membership but I can tell you that on the walk home from the gym, I have thought of carrying a weapon due to the weirdos on the streets.

Walking is free. Gyms have memberships.
    The only true point you make. However my health is worth $700 a year I pay for a gym membership, personal training etc.

Walking trips are ideal for improvised crappling matches and running races. Doing so in a gym will get you thrown out.
    Trollshido plz.

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 6:53am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not so fast Good Lady.

I think it was Dr Johnson (of Boswell fame) who referred to "Walking" as ..."The Poor Man's Treasure". He was alluding to the Integration of Breath, Body and Mind and how, once in Harmony, it allowed the perambulator/walker, the time to Think. Of course, this can give Flights of Fantasy but even so...it can and does work of itself - and why sometimes the determined walker can seem absent minded.

William Gladstone (19th C, 3 x Prime Minister of UK) could easily walk the best part of 20 miles in a single walk from the railhead to his destination. Again, this allowed him thinking time and he had a tremendous physical constitution. He used to supplement his prodigious walking with bouts of tree and wood chopping. It allowed him to develop his train of thought yet at the same time served to expiate his sex drive (there, I gave you that bit for Free so you could relate it to your comment on AS above).

I'm not here to defend him or his problems, yet there is merit in the capacity to walk at a given cadence/pace, both physically and pyschologically - if only one of well-being.

The British Army in the Peninsular campaign (early 19th C) travelled some spectacular marches in fighting order. It very much added to their capacity to meet larger French forces and defeat them.

Thassit.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast