Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,JUDO,MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

High's and Low's of Bjj

So i guess we all experience high's and lows of any sport we participate in. but for me, i know i will either have a realy good day at training or a realy crappy one. I know that both are essential but it fustrates me that i put my heart and soul into learning bjj, i even practise at home drilling everything i have learnt, but still i get owned by these idiots that use strength over technique. Fair play, i am still only a white belt but i mean come on!!!, surely god will at least grant me a sicssor sweep, or maybe even an armbar from guard if im lucky. The reason i feel like this is cause i got pawned in training today, i mean i got caught with stupid technqiues, and i only pulled 2 sweeps, and got 1 guy in a triangle, thats about it.
    The major reason im pissed is cause some guy who was my age(16) had never done bhh in his life, and it ended in a fcuking draw, i mean i didnt pull any sub attempts, and he even mounted me once.

what gives you the insperation to move on??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 6:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,JUDO,MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i meant BJJ to all u smart asses:P

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 6:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing BJJ for almost 2 years now. I workout with some younger guys who are 20-40lbs heavier than I am and a lot stronger. I have to be super tricky to catch them with sweeps or subs because of their natural attributes. Get used to it.
    Start lifting weights and work on improving your attributes as well as your technique. I just took a month off of BJJ to get my weightlifting routine fixed up and it has already helped me a lot. If you feel like your technique is strong, but you just aren't strong enough to make it work then work on improving your strength as well as your technique.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you are talking training and not a competition (which is what it sounds like) you need to suspend the win or lose mentality most of the time. Just continue to work on using good technique and try to stay relaxed even when others are going crazy.

I find my best training sessions are the ones where I don't care about who does better, who taps who, etc. but just focus on things like proper posture, proper hip movement, staying relaxed, etc.

You are going to have good days and bad days as you said. You will have days where you own your training partners and then all of a sudden those exact same partners own you. This is is good thing.

Keep in mind training is about improving your skill and those of your training partners. In order to become good you are going to have to put yourself in every possible position (or your training partners will put you there) which means there are going to be plenty of times when you are working aspects of your game that you are not good at.

I used to sit in class and kind of mentally see who I would get paired with as we were in the line (we rotate a certain way so I can usually tell who my next 2 or 3 matches will be at any given time) and I would start thinking negatively about getting paired up with the guys who were way better than me, way more conditioned, way more explosive and not look forward to these matches. Now I look forward to these the most because I learn the most from these rolls (when my goal isn't to win but to improve - these guys have a way of always finding what I need work on the most!).
    Last edited by Student; 8/27/2008 9:36pm at .

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 10:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep training.

You'll get over it.

Pretty soon you'll be saying, "Stupid white belts and their retard strength..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:06pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice:

Don't play guard with anyone who outweighs you by over 40 lbs. You can bend this rule a little as you get better but for the most part you need to fight for top. Putting a spaz on bottom will make them freak out even more then normal & exhaust themselves, then you can get your sub or sit on them & calmly give your lecture about the importance of finesse over strength in Jiu-Jitsu.

Not only is it harder to control strong guys from bottom, if you play a closed/climbing guard & they stack on you, you can potentially hurt your back. Sadly, I speak from experience there.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:21pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just keep training. You'll get better and get over it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww you had a bad day.

Better quit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 12:04am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a photo, or better yet, a painting of Helio Gracie. Kneel in front of it and pray that he grant you strength each day before you leave to roll. Perhaps Helio will smile upon you, cheer up young whitebelt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 12:05am

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had problems like this. They've lasted months at a time (especially during strict dieting for fat loss). I complained about it here and asked for advice. The best advice I got was:

Shut the **** up, get off the internet and go train.

Best advice I've ever gotten. I'm not kidding.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast