Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:23pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I have to say I really would like to train in hwarangdo since I thik this may legitimize the korean arts as it has nearly all of them under its belt."

Not to be a bigger pr*ck than normal, but how gullible are you?

"Misconceptions about Korean arts"

Physician, heal thyself.

Sheesh, Korean systems are their own worst enemies. With the crass commercialization, blatantly inaccurate and laughable histories, flash, and godawful forms, they screw themselves far worse than anyone else does.

Where's miguksaram when you need him?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also your history is an apologist's revisionary wet dream

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:25pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure which association it is from, I got the tape from mooto.com. I live in edomonton alberta canada. My muay thai experience is a couple matches at a local boxing gym, a couple muay thai guys work out there. They weren't professional matches or anything but we didn't hold back any. Neither of my opponents fought professionally yet and don't have the experience fighting like I do. Maybe I'll try my hand at some better compitition someday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find interesting is these TKD people that say TKD isn't a bad art..."if you cross train with another art"! If you HAVE to cross train because the art is so weak...find another art!!!

Or, that's the way I see it anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:39pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah true, I think that is was an excellent art but has lost its roots in wtf sparring. I know that they wanted to keep the korean high kicking in the art so the sparring rules are the way they are . They do need a change though. Most people judge korean arts on a whole due to that but there is some not bad stuff there just need to emphasize it somemore. The misconception that I'm talking about is that its all crap. Nope it is being made into crap. There are changes that need to come to get back to the basics. and understand why certain techniques are tradition only.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by tallpaul50
    What I find interesting is these TKD people that say TKD isn't a bad art..."if you cross train with another art"! If you HAVE to cross train because the art is so weak...find another art!!!

Or, that's the way I see it anyway.
    umm, so why all the cross training in the MMA crowd? are we to assume MT is a bad art since you have to cross train in grappling? or that BJJ is bad because you have to cross train in MT?

my questions is why would any martial artist NOT cross train?

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 5:30pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: The misconceptions about Korean martial arts

"[B]I'll start with Taekwondo sparring. The truth is it's a throwback to the korean game Taekkoni.

During silla dynasty the Hwarang warriors (samurai equivilent) helped spread the art of taekkyon and its game. Taekkyon did involve ways to practice the upper body techniques which where chinese in origin. Eventually korean fighter incorperated the more powerful Karate technique and TKD was born. Tkd sparring is a throw back to the old taekkoni tradition."

If you would read some of the korean martial arts threads posted in the history section you would find proof of the following facts that disprove the above contentions.

1) Taekwondo was devised in the 1940s and 1950s before Takkyon was rediscovered and repopularized in the late 1960s early 1970s (see the wastral's comments on this matter) so there is no basis for the claim that TKD is decended from Takkyon though with cross training the two arts now evidently share techniques.

2) While the Hwarang warriors existed, little to nothing is known about any empty handed art that they practiced. Linking them therefor to Taekkyon and therefore getting a 1,400 year history out of TKD is therefore inaccurate. Please review the history section, you may find it enlightening.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 5:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's like a greek taking judo, wrestling, boxing, and karate techniques and mixing them together and calling it a 3000 year old art called pankration with a history since the first olympic games. oh wait...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 6:22pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest misconception I see with Tae Kwon Do is that some people actually think it is effective.

Like my old TKD used to say:

"I don't see the point of letting someone get inside and learning to use in-close hand techniques to defend yourself, when you can simply keep them far away from you with kicks"

But I think if someone knows what they are doing at all, they are going to get in on you. And this was a TKD teacher that said that, I don't know how someone could go so far through a system and believe it possible simply keep people at bay. Well actually I do know, he was only fighting with other TKD people who were only trying to keep HIM at bay.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone mind if I move this thread to the TMA forum?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast