Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 11:59am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The misconceptions about Korean martial arts

I'll start with Taekwondo sparring. I am 90% sure this is the cause for many to believe it to be uneffective. The truth is it's a throwback to the korean game Taekkoni. The game is played by sparring an opponent with light contact kicks and throws are permitted but no punching. to win you have to either thorw and opponent or score an unblocked kick to the face. During silla dynasty the Hwarang warriors (samurai equivilent) helped spread the art of taekkyon and its game. Taekkyon did involve ways to practice the upper body techniques which where chinese in origin. Eventually korean fighter incorperated the more powerful Karate technique and TKD was born. Tkd sparring is a throw back to the old taekkoni tradition. Personally I believe tkd to ba a very useful but incomplete art. This is why all dojangs learn Hapkido techniques. Another misconception is that these techniques are useless. They come from aiki jiu jitsu which is a barehands vs weapons are. that's why they have so many wrist lock that are not useful today. Also many were anti Judo techniques that grab the shirt sleeve or collar. There are some very useful armbars and such, if hapkido would incorperate more submissions from the botton it would be very respected. I believe tkd needs a professional sparring league with rules more like san shou, and have olympic as amature sparring than it can gain back some respect.

Judo 3-0
    Muay Thai 2-0-1
    TKD too may to count
    Submission Grappling 3-1-0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not have tkd people compete in san shou thats already there
    i would love to fight a tkd guy san shou rules would be an easy win

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't know Taekkyon. There is and then there is the game.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I did seperate the fact that the game and the martial art

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD sparring looks nothing like Taekkyon. When have you ever seen it?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 1:00pm

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how can it be a misconception when every TKD tourney and school i have come across the guys stand chest to chest and try to kick each other.

if you train somewhere that is different, then that s hella cool.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Korean arts are more than TKD and Taekyon, what about Hapkido? a very effective art and Hwarang do? Kuk Sol Won ? Kim Chee ( sorry, couldn't resist)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen taekkyon, I got the 6th championships on tape and it looks alot like tkd to me except with throws. I hope to one day train in this art, since I think it has some nice takedown and sweeps also the rhythmic kicking combinations look fantastic. As to Fernando's comment yup my school trains wtf sparring but we also do alot of Judo, but we train only in wtf sparring till were black belts. We have some more realistic training once we reach black belt level. I have used everything I've learnt in many different sports. I felt like trying my hand at many different combat sports with only my schools tkd training and have doen very well in Muay Thai and submission grappling. Sure the caliber of my opponents could have been better though. My teacher is a judoka and tkd fighter for 20 years and also boxes so I learn more than the usual crap i guess. He's also got his instrutor training at kukkiwan as well as being a taekwondo military teacher. The patterns for the military tkd are pretty neat. I have to say I really would like to train in hwarangdo since I thik this may legitimize the korean arts as it has nearly all of them under its belt.

Judo 3-0
    Muay Thai 2-0-1
    TKD too may to count
    Submission Grappling 3-1-0

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where did you fight MT?
    Your location is blank.

Posted On:
    12/11/2003 2:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FCTKD,
    Which association was holding those championships?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast