Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 1:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much to train

I have a tough schedule, I've been training MMA for 3 months had to stop cause I got a job. I found a gym and want to begin training again to fight amateur by next year, or the earliest I can. I work 8 hrs a day in a 100 degree kitchen, Lol Im an aspiring chef. Anyway I need help with getting a training routine that will get me in fighting shape without exhausting myself to much. I plan on attending mma classes as much as I can but I need a full training routine for when Im not at the gym.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 2:09am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something I had to come to terms with, fighting is a full time obligation. You spend 3 hours a day in the gym m-f, but you need to make sure you've got the right stuff to eat before and after, and the sleep each night to heal up and be ready for another good day of training.

I tried holding a fulltime job and train at the same time. For a week its fine, but after awhile the drain on time is too much. You wake up, clean up, breakfast, work, at work you have to get small meals on breaks, large meal during lunch, have an apple on the way to the gym, train your ass off, apple on the way home, big dinner. Then you see the clock, and you have 1-2 hours at most to just not do **** before you have to crash. Otherwise you'll feel like **** during work the next day, and during practice.

When I had a fight coming, I'd quit everything else and focus entirely on that. It's hard on the family, but thankfully they'd support me. But as soon as it was over I'd go back to work and put training to that level on hold. Not having a job is not an option most people have.

I'd sort this out yourself. Do you plan on being a champion one day, or do you plan on running your own kitchen/business? Maybe a part-time job and mix the two as best you can. But most of us will train our souls out and never make it in the manner we all dream. I couldn't give up that dream for a long time, and I'm happy that I can now. Sometimes I get the urge to slip and counter, or eat a few shots, but I had to accept that ... that I couldnt be the greatest.

Even typing that now I still feel like if I just stuck with it, I might make it there, but I have to decide:

At this point in my(your) life, what is best for me(you)?

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 5:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just a brainstorm of a possible schedule, worked around classes and my work schedule. I might be working graveyard 12am to 8am. This will free up more time for training. It would be a tough schedule to get used to. Can you give me some feed back?

Thanks, Mike

Monday

No Work

8:00am Wake Up

8:30 eat clifbar or something no dairy or apples something easily digestible and nutritious.

9:00am Stretch out ab workout

9:20am 30 min bike ride, hills on lower body work out day.

9:50am Cool down do a 5 min ride. Stretch do another ab workout.

10:00am eat a big breakfast again no dairy fruits lots of protein and Complex carbs.

10:30am leave for gym grab a snack

11:30am MMA Class to 1:00pm

1:00 get some lunch

1:30 work out upper body.

2:30 have a snack, relax

5:30 Boxing- 6:30pm

6:30 Go home have dinner.

Stretch warm-up
    Take a ten mile bike ride. Cooldown Stretch

Get Home watch tv go to bed around 9-10.

Tuesday

8:00am wake up

Do the same as Monday

1:00pm Leave for work/ Eat lunch

3:00 to 11:00pm Work

12:00 Go home, crash.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 4:01pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can make that work.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasnt possible. There are quite a few who make that sacrifice day in and out. It just took a drain on me after weeks and weeks. Just hard to see others leave work and go home and get some couch time. The good side is you're not wasting time, in 10 years you will have accomplished what many wont, or couldnt do in 15 years.

It definitely feels good to be in shape, and be the one to tolerate others saying, "I wish I could run like you" etc. Meanwhile we're not doing the wishing, we're just doing.

It all comes down to what you really want. If you want to be a fighter, then it is a life of sacrifice. But there are short moments of sweet sweet success, that one in a hundred get to taste.