222280 Bullies, 3660 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 11:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gameness Platinum Weave Gi

I am 5'9, 141 lb, and I ordered an A2.

This gi comes pre-shrunk and mercinized. It fit decently anyway so I didn't feel the need to dry it to size before rolling in it. I called Gameness to make sure I didn't have to soak it in vinegar either, which they told me there was no need to.

The only other gi I have is the ATAMA gold weave, so all the comparisons I make will be to that model. The platinum is alot softer than my ATAMA (which is why I gave a 10 on material), and the skirt of it felt a little fitter around my waist than the ATAMA.

Gameness is known for their thick collars, but at the same time the lapels feel more fitted around my neck (almost slightly choking if I had to close the gi tighter - which is why I gave an 8 on flexibility/mobility), which might be a tradeoff. We did gi chokes in a class I wore this to, and people didn't seem to have too much trouble despite the thickness, might be for the reason that the lapels are a little tighter. I've included a pic of the Gameness collar vs the ATAMA collar.

The pants I like, because the width of the material ABOVE the drawstring loops is a little bit more than the ATAMA pants (see pic). When rolling, sometimes my ATAMA string will be tight, and the pants sneak under the tie, which is a little annoying. The extra material above the string on the platinum keeps the string from grinding into my skin. Only thing is that it's not a rope tie (like an Ouano), and tightening the pants is a little difficult with string due to bunching.

The Gameness Platinum Weave is made well, and it is extremely comfortable. I've been rolling in it for several months, and it has held up pretty well - the only thing is that the both the shoulder embroidery and shoulder strip patches tend to fray. Overall, 9 for durability purely for cosmetic reasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jacket.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	9386  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JacketBack.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	9387  

Name:	Collars.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	9388  

Name:	Weave.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	9389  

Name:	Pants.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	9390  

Name:	Full.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	9391  

Last edited by EternalRage; 9/29/2008 5:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 2:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well said,
    I've had my Gameness Plat. Weave for three years and have absolutely loved it. The only down side that I found was a bit of a "break in" period; initially the gi top was pretty stiff and had a texture that could be described as "mildly abrasive". After two or three weeks of rolling and washing, it got soft and comfy. The pants are heavy duty and will hold up as well, if not better, than the top. Don't be afraid of the price tag on this gi, this is a quality piece of equipment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2009 3:32pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you soak a gi in vinegar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 7:31pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have tried Koral, Kagi, Toraki, War, Atama and Kikskin gis.

The gameness platinum is sooooo much better in so many ways; by far the best gi pants I've ever had.

I have not had a problem with tightness in the collar but I digress, this is my absolute favorite gi. I was lucky enough to get one of the limited release Platinum Black versions.

At any rate, great review for a great gi.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkerdnoi View Post
    Why would you soak a gi in vinegar?
    Some gi-makers suggest using a bit of vinegar in the first washing cycle of any coloured gi to stabilize the colour.

E.r., thanks for the review.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal