Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 7:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All the Martial has been taken out of the Martial Art known as TaekwonDo

All the Martial has been taken out of the Martial Art known as TaekwonDo....

As a practioner since the early 80's I am VERY VERY disappointed with the current "Modern" TaeKwonDo styles that I am witnessing.

I sincerely hope that all these videos of TKD out there on the web and the recent Olympic Games are not a true representation of this GREAT MARTIAL ART.

I do not see Fighters, I see competitors, I honestly do not think any of these Olympians would survive an actual street fight........

What the hell?!.... I rarely see a smart fighter who throws combinations. Or even a fighter who realizes they have 2 arms and 2 Legs?

What happened to combinations? What happened to setting up your opponent? What happened to just keeping your guard up?

Today's fighters are very dominant on their left or right. In my day, you made sure that a left kick was a fast, flexible, and powerful as a kick from the right side. And, we actually used our hands and arms......remember something called a BLOCK!

Rarely do I see a trained FIGHTER these days.

Just because you train, wear a belt with a certain color, does not make you a martial artist, it makes you an INTERACTIVE SPECTATOR.

What happened to training to discipline yourself so that when that life and death moment is upon you you are ready - physically and mentally.

What happened to ONE STRIKE, ONE KILL.

When someone blocks in TKD, the block is meant to DISARM the opponent, in other words; execute the Block so that it either breaks your opponents bone or greatly disables that person......at the very least it should make them think twice before trying to strike again.

And the TKD strikes are to be fully executed. Not these half-ass kicks that are some bastardized version of a Round-House and Front Snap Kick that uses the top of the foot.

Try breaking a Brick with a Round House......I bet you use the ball of your feet. I'd almost be surprised if these athletes train without shoes.

Which brings me to another point about kicks. Like these Muay Thai vs. TKD videos I see.

Why doesn't some TKD fighter just use the ball of the foot and break the leg of the other guy? It's not that hard to do......and that's from personal experience on the street.

In conclusion, I am very disappointed by the representation of TKD out there....especially on the web.

I welcome all comments.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took TKD in the early 80s and while it was a bit better than what is out there now (we did hard sparring almost every class) it still lacked head punches, leg kicks, throws, fighting in clinches and my instructor's answer to my questioning how to handle wrestlers was "why would you let the fight go to the ground?". I agree with the general point of your post that TKD has, generally, declined. If you could post a video showing how to break bones with blocks and kicks and how to kill with one strike I'd appreciate it.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is pretty good article discussing Sport and Traditional TKD...
    http://www.taekwondo-ameris.com/Arti...es_article.htm

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long read. Well, all of this appears to be well trodden ground. There are threads here about why TKD sucks, what can be done to save it, etc (the search function is your friend). Breaking bones with kicks and blocks is kind of new though, could you elaborate on that? Oh, and the one strike, one kill thing too.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 10:48pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One strike one kill! ball of the foot ala broken leg! And how bout the ol'e bone breaking blocker-rooo! that **** was just as much bullshido then as it is now! Jebus Cripes I feel like I went back in time.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 10:53pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maui artist pressure test you're art! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is not good tkd out there, but think you will find it probably looks alot like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdtzh8y7sc

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 12:56am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, occasionally it will look like this. (Guy in red is Stephen Tapilatu)

YouTube - Stephen Tapilatu - Daido Juku WC 2001 - Semifinal
    Last edited by G-Off; 8/27/2008 12:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 1:33am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like Kudo.

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 10:23am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse
    Looks like Kudo.
    It's a Kudo competition. Tapilatu is a TKD fighter.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ - Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would agree there is some good tkd and it is portrayed badly from true old school tkd but i dunno I still think there are superior fighting styles like muay thai, jiu jitsu, judo.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast