Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 1:08pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as keeping your back in line, something that helps me is to keep my eyes focused on something on the wall about a foot above head height the whole time, from the moment I grab the bar to the moment I lock my hips out. Once you do that, everything else seems to fall in line, posture-wise.

I've been deadlifting for a few months and was pretty paranoid about back injury when I started, but I've been fine the whole time.
    Last edited by ignignokt; 8/26/2008 1:10pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    So I was in the gym last night and did my Deadlifts as usual but didn't have a mirror at the side of me like I normally do to check that my back is straight. I woke up this morning with back ache in my lower back, telling me that I did something wrong.
    You don't turn your head while doing deadlifts to look in that mirror do you?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately I cannot watch yt clips from work, but I've seen Mehdi's stuff is good, so you are pretty much safe in following his form.

Having said that, I suggest you get a digital camera and film yourself. every. single. time. until you get the feeling of it. Don't try to check your form by watching yourself in a mirror, specially looking sideways. That's a good way to **** yourself up. When you film yourself, you have immediate feedback.

Pain (muscular pain) in the lower back doesn't necessarily mean you did something wrong. You know something is wrong when you feel it in the spine or if it cracked a bit while pulling. When that happens, stop immediately and aggressively ice ASAP. The sooner you stop inflammation on its track, the better. If you don't ice it within 24 hours, inflammation tends to make **** cramp and pull, aggravating the situation. So ice that **** up.

Going back to your form, things that help is to look to the front at a fixed point when you are getting ready for the pull. Don't look up as that can hyper extend your neck. It's hard to really tell much until you get a video up for review. I strongly recommend you do this. In the meantime, these are some things that come to mind:

1. Before doing the pull, look straight to the front at a fixed position, ideally somewhere on a wall/mirror around the level of your sternum. Your neck should be neutral, meaning that you will be looking straight at that point with your eyes (not your face as this could get your neck to extend too much.) This also applies for squats.

2. Get your lower back neutral, don't flex it nor hyper extend it.

3. "Brace" your stomach. That is, contract it out (don't suck it in). It should press against your belt (and internally against your spine for protection.)

4. As soon as you get #3, grip the **** out of the barbell. Imagine you found your best friend forever banging your wife, dude whom you grab by the balls to make him pay for his treachery. Imagine the barbell to be his balls. Squeeze with anger. Yeah, kinda like that. Gripping like that not only works your grip but gets your entire body pumped and ready, binds you with the barbells, makes you one with nature... or some **** like that. Anyways, squeeze that ****. Don't pull until you squeeze, and pull immediately after you squeeze.

5. Begin the lift. Push against the floor with your heels. Use your hamstrings, not the quads to get up (this one takes a while to learn.) Your shoulders and hips should be moving up simultaneously. If your hip moves up before, you'll end up pulling too much with your lower back (no good). If your shoulders go up before, you are certainly pulling with your lower back and you are gonna pop it good.

6. Following #5, as soon as you begin to straighten your knees (with hips and shoulders moving up together), push your hips forwards. This is what gets you up. Not the extension of the knees, but the extension of the hips.

7. As you are pulling up, contract your glutes. Imagine you have a walnut in the crack of you ass and you want to crack it, like JCVD or something.

8. Keep looking at that same position until you reach the top while keeping a neutral neck and lower back. Some pple can get away with a little bending on the upper back (a little.)

7. When you are fully up, don't roll your shoulders back. Either you lock yourself straight up with your hips or you don't. Pple roll their shoulders back attempting to lock. Don't do that; better to abandon a deadlift than trying to force it like that.

9. During the pull, don't just pull up, pull backwards and on your heels. You won't fall on your ass because the bar pulls you forwards and down.

10. On your days off deadlifting, make sure to deeply stretch your glutes, your entire back, your hamstrings, your external hip rotators (the piriformis) as well as stretching your hip rotationally. Don't let scar tissue and inflexible fascia to develop.

11. Don't use straps except when you are trying for a good max. The body has a protective reflex that stops you from lifting something that you cannot firmly grab. If your grip limits the weight you can handle, so be it. As you get better, your back and grip will improve, and you'll be a better judge on when to use straps.

12. Don't deadlift all the time. Opt for romanians and good mornings (and rack pulls) on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, try romanians and good mornings. They'll teach you how to lift with your hips while keeping a neutral back. Can't go wrong with those. From personal experience, deadlifting off the floor regularly drains the life out of you.

[edit]

It may sound like a lot of points to remember, but once you get the feeling of it, you get all those points down automatically. Seriously, get a digital camera and film yourself (preferably from the side). You will not go wrong in finding areas of improvement.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/26/2008 5:45pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:07am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats a nice summary of points to watch out for when doing deads, do you mind if I post that on another forum with your credit Teh El Macho?

Edit: with a question

Whats your thoughts on using a mixed grip for deadlifting, does it promote imbalances? That being said are under or overs preferred? or basically whatever is comfortable?

Should a mixed grip be saved only for max lifts? or is it ok if you alternate your mixed grip for each set, and use your preferred when you need to?
    Last edited by snowman; 8/27/2008 11:13am at . Reason: Added a question

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No bro, no problems at all. Mind you, none of those points are originally mine. These are things I've collected here (feedbacking with other bs.net posters) and t-nation and put them to good use.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Just to clear up, I do look sideways in the mirror sometimes but only to check that my back isn't rounded and I turn my head back to looking forward before I start lifting.

How do you guys film yourselves? do you ask some stranger to film you or just perch the camera on a bench?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've either put my camera on a bench or something like that, or I've asked my g/f (who got super-hooked up with deadlifts btw.) I don't ask strangers cuz most gym-going people are retarded douchebags who think you are filming yourself just for the ego, that, or they film your biceps instead of the whole thing (thus fucking up the whole purpose even after you tell them what you need.) They can get quite annoying, or maybe I just hate people IRL, I dunno :icon_scra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 8:02pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any thoughts on the grip type to use when deading?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Over/under or straps.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12