218358 Bullies, 5968 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:19am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deadlifts

So I was in the gym last night and did my Deadlifts as usual but didn't have a mirror at the side of me like I normally do to check that my back is straight. I woke up this morning with back ache in my lower back, telling me that I did something wrong.

A google search brought me to this site: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/

with the following video:

YouTube - Proper Deadlift Technique

Does this look like good form and good tips to follow to you guys? It looks right to me but then if I knew how to do it properly, I wouldn't have back ache
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:29am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. Then again I'm biased, I'm currently following the stronglifts plan.

I was doing deadlifts yesterday as well and follow what Mehdi says about getting form right. Never had back problems from doing it, though I did drop 130kg yesterday. Need to strengthen my grip!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never really deadlifted much before so I'm starting at lower weights to ensure I get it right before trying to lift something that could help cripple me if I did it wrong.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 5:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hadn't before I started the stronglifts programme, and I started at 40kg and added 5kg a time. All I try to d do is keep my shoulders back, head up and bar as close to the legs as I can, and I don't seem to be getting any problems with my back.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 6:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on 50kg at the moment and find it hard enough for now. I think that I was bending my legs too much yesterday and had my back ever so slightly round.

not a good start :(

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh I was doing that to start with as well, then saw the video above and stopped going past parallel and it did seem to help a great amount. Recently though I havent been bending the enough which just makes it harder to pick the damn weight up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 6:27am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stronglifts is great! deadlifts are great!

I got my girlfriend started on them.

deadlifts and squats make you're arse great.

sorry I can't help much, medhi's form is correct.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 8:38am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    40kg to 130kg? jesus, find your range

straps help with keeping the weight if you have limp-wrist syndrome.

unless you're doing straight-leg dead lifts, your form should be a lot like your squat form, albeit probably not nearly as low

hex/square bars are the **** for dead lifts but most gyms don't usually have them, in that case I use the smoothest bar I can find so I don't scrape the **** out of my shins. the closer you keep the bar to your shins, the straighter your back usually is
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 8:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont want to use straps, I'd rather strengthen my grip.

Its a bit of a range yup, but I'd never done them before so I started very low.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 11:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Dont want to use straps, I'd rather strengthen my grip.
    I can relate to an extent, but if your grip's preventing you from adequately working your posterior chain, you should at least consider doing supplemental work for grip (farmer's walk, timed holds, gripper crushes... there are a whole bunch of things) and putting up with straps during deadlifts so you get the most out of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast