Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/03/2009 2:57am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fredericton Judo Club

I've been training at this place for a good while, and I'm completely in love with it. So I decided to write up a review. I'll try to be as objective as possible, but it's extremely difficult because this place is so awesome. Especially for being in a small city.

As a Judo club, it will obviously have neither striking or weapons instruction.

The aliveness is what you'd expect from a gym run by an Olympic-level Judoka. Chief instructor's Olympic biography: http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...-blaney-1.html

The gi's seem to be of good quality, but I don't have much to base my assessment off of. We use the Jukado Shiai brand. The mats are great though, and there are lots of them.

There is definitely enough space to randori without bumping into each other. The gym itself is a little bit narrow, but very long. You can check it out here, on a video some kid made for a school project 2 years ago: YouTube - Judo music video: Fredericton Judo Club

Instructor-student ratio is excellent, the best I've seen out of the gyms I've trained at. The class isn't too big, and there are several lower ranked black belts to beat the crap out of us and tell us what we do wrong. The two chief instructors, a rokudan and yondan, also participate in every lesson and do the same. List of instructors: http://frederictonjudoclub.com/index...ntact&Itemid=3

Atmosphere is some of the best I've seen as well. Everyone is encouraged to man up and work hard. The instructors constantly light a fire under your ass during the warm up (which is clearly not a warm up as much as a full-body work out), and even more in randori. For example, Fred will give you extra calisthenics if you tap out to a pin; you're encouraged to fight it the whole 25 seconds. Every aspect of the lesson is taught that way, and I find it really develops positive habits and work ethic. Not to mention weeding out the people who don't actually want to be there.

As far as the actual instruction goes, our head instructor is a former Olympian and offical judge, and all other instructors are active and successful in national (and occasionally international) competition. As a point of interest, we have a nidan, Shaun McManus, who really freaking loves his newaza. He apparently beat the local BJJ instructor in a grappling comp. (who is only a purple belt, mind you, but that kind of tells me I'm working the best option I have right now).

We also have a top-of-the-class graduate of the Yong-In University in Seoul Korea, which is a school in Korea specifically for grooming competative Judoka. He happened to move to Canada with his family, for a reason we never inquired, but we're really damn lucky to have him on as an instructor. All I know about him is that his given name is Ki-Yong, and that he has a ridiculous seoi nage. I'll try to find out more about him, for the sake of credibility.

A class is listed as 2 hours, but it generally goes 2 and a half. First half hour is warmup / greuling workout involving rope evercises, calisthenic circuts and uchikomi. Then we spend 15 minutes on newaza uchikomi or new techniques, followed by about 40 minutes of newaza randori. Then we learn and drill a technique or two in tachiwaza, followed again by 40 minutes of tachiwaza randori. Also, during tachiwaza, if the ippon isn't scored then we go to newaza for a while (if nothing develops, we stand again). We're weirdly newaza focused, all things considered. And it pays off in competitions.

Competition Highlights: YouTube - FJC Highlight Real
    YouTube - FJC HL2 Animal I Have Become
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMW_p2kqq6s
    YouTube - FJC HL 4 Pride

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Comments or questions welcome.
    Last edited by marcusdbrutus; 9/28/2009 10:42am at .