Posted On:
    8/25/2008 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,JUDO,MUAY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mastering the pendulum sweep?

Hi guys,

I have recently been drilling my favourite sweep from guard, the pendulum sweep. The thing is, i prefer to use it when my opponent has not posted his leg up, (as there are many demonstrations i have seen where only use the sweep when the leg is posted).

YouTube - Mayflower Sweep (REWORKED)

how many of you have perfomed this in competion, can you provide any breakdown of the technqiue.

thanks
    (p.s, if this is in the worng forum, i am realy sorry lol)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 8:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't used that technique in competition but I have just started to use it a lot in newazza, I've found it typically presents itself when my opponent defends an arm bar early or when he's an idiot and tries to stand up whilst too bent over forward/tries to stack me.

The onyl thing I can add to the video is that I don't think you need to get an uderhook on the leg at all, you can just do it ith a sleeve grip or underhook on the arm near your head or alternatovely, in gi you can grip the pants leg to pull the sweep off.

Here to kick your ass.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 8:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Jubo NOOB, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this sweep, mostly because it's one i can pull off with relative ease. Slinds right though, it normaly presents itself, i always hook under the leg though. I normally do it when the leg is posted, because their weight seems easier to take over from that sort of angle.

I've never had the opportunity to use it in comp though.

Chaos
    ? Panic?... Disorder??

.........................My Work is done here... ;)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:03am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lost my first (and only) match in the 2007 Mundials by 6 points: This sweep (2) and the mount from finishing this sweep (4).

Had him in a so close triangle after recovering guard, time ran out. Basically I spent $2500 (airfare, room, board, entertainment after losing, transportation) to get the 2007 Mundials Competitor t-shirt a few weeks before everyone else could order them online :-)

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 1:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if this is an issue for you specifically, but most of the time when i see someone having trouble with this sweep, the problem has to do with the pendulum motion of the leg. The more forceful and violent the motion, and the closer it comes to your own head in terms of upper range, the more it's going to load your opponent onto the other leg for the 2nd part where you push him over. So maybe try working on the range and power of your leg swing? Just a thought.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 5:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cheers thoughtcrime, i will definatley take that into consideration, i think you nailed the pin on the donkey, i have had trouble with the motion of my legs to perform the sweep

thanks to slindsay and siberia also

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear, let me know if that turned out to be the issue

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wanted to ask, thoughtcrime, how much pressure do you put with your other leg that is resting on the side of the back, after u have made a large motion with the first leg, i have trouble pushing my other leg to get the full sweep, please tell me if that made sense LOL

thanks, realy appreciate it guys

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 6:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ash
    i wanted to ask, thoughtcrime, how much pressure do you put with your other leg that is resting on the side of the back, after u have made a large motion with the first leg, i have trouble pushing my other leg to get the full sweep, please tell me if that made sense LOL

I put a huge amount of pressure on my opponent back with the other leg, helps keep them from posturing up. I think of it like I think of the hooking leg on the triangle choke.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ash

The thing to remember is that it's a two part motion; first, the pendulum motion and your arm under your opponent's leg pulls your body perpendicular to your opponent, as well as 'loading' your opponent on top of that non-penduluming leg, to make my own verb. Once he's there, his center of mass should be resting on or near the back of that leg, so you should feel like you're holding him up. Once he's there, he should be fairly easy to push over, even with a large difference in weights. If you're having a hard time pushing him over, it's generally because his weight isnt fully centered over your leg. To fix this, again, make your pendulum motion crazy forceful, and pull him up a little onto your leg with your arm that's on his wrist.
    I kinda suck at describing positions, but this sounds like what your problem may be. Hope this helps, and again, let me know.

Edit: good point by slindsey
    Last edited by thoughtcrime; 8/28/2008 9:07pm at . Reason: good point
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast