Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 6:33pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cold Water Preparation

I'm a Texas boy, and 84 is cold water for me, 64 is freezing.

I would like to better adapt myself for future challenges. I've done a fair amount of reading around and from what I can gather, you can do some preparation by simply bathing or swimming in cold water and continue the cycle until your body learns to manage it better.

I'm considering putting on a bit of extra fat as well, not only for the layer of insulation, but so I have a larger more potent source of energy to tap into it. I've read a bit on a swimming website (havent been given access to post there yet) that there are two kinds of fat, brown (preferred for cold water apparently) and yellow. But this is completely unknown to me.

I had always assumed that I could just keep moving and that would keep me warm. But it turns out that only accelerates the rate your temperature decreases.

Any ideas?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How cold are we talking and why?

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    How cold are we talking and why?
    I've always been cold on my scuba dives, so I'd like to remove that discomfort in the future if possible.

I'm assuming we will do some training in chilly water for Navy Diver training, and I definitely don't want to be chattering my teeth in comfortable to most 75 degree water.

A lot of openwater swimmer tolerate 55-65degree water quite well, so that'd be the upper end goal.

So far I've just started laying in baths of cold side tap water, which probably isnt that cold temp wise, and timing how long I stay in. I try to resist shaking etc.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    I've always been cold on my scuba dives, so I'd like to remove that discomfort in the future if possible.

I'm assuming we will do some training in chilly water for Navy Diver training, and I definitely don't want to be chattering my teeth in comfortable to most 75 degree water.

A lot of openwater swimmer tolerate 55-65degree water quite well, so that'd be the upper end goal.

So far I've just started laying in baths of cold side tap water, which probably isnt that cold temp wise, and timing how long I stay in. I try to resist shaking etc.
    I'm not an expert on cold water or getting used to it, i do have a lot of swimming experience,but dont take this as gospel. I wouldn't suggest just sitting around in it though, get used to moving in it. The only thing to do is simply build a tolerence over time (or get a better wetsuit, gloves etc) and that means plenty of swimming.

I dont know what facilities you have available but open water will normally be cooler than pool water. And most pools, even outdoor unheated, will operate around 19c (66F) at the lowest and anywhere up to 30c (86). During the right time of year when the temp is lower go swimming outdoors in the mornings, let me tell you 15 deg (59F) is a godsend on a ten (50F) degree morning.

Also, you need to just get used to it. Ignore it, 12 degree (55) isn't going to kill you, try and forget about it and cencentrate on your scuba equipment, swimming or whatever. There's always something else to put your mind on.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 7:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Syb. At the moment the best equipment I can use is my bathtub, which is too small to completely submerge.

My pool is very warm, probably at 86 or so. I've got awhile to prepare, so I'll get to utilize the cold water in the pool through the winter.